Grand Rapids Press Facility

GRDadof3

With speculation flying in the GR Business Journal about the Grand Rapids Press facility and its future, I wondered what the group thought they could envision for that site. Here is a quote from the GRBJ the other day:

"The Grand Rapids Press building is a very underutilized piece of property now that they've moved the major printing operation out of downtown," said Jack Buchanan, president of Blue Bridge Ventures. "I think if they were to analyze what the cost of occupancy was of that facility given what they have left, they'd probably move."

Although it's somewhat disconnected from the hill, The Press facility at 155 Michigan St. NW is the next door west from Christman's medical towers. With more than 300,000 square feet between the main building and its four parking lots, The Press site has room to spare and a close relationship with the hill."

Daniel Schoonmaker

GRBJ

I think it is interesting that the rail viaduct is still intact under I-196, and could tie the Press site to the North Monroe neighborhood. If you go to Bond Street near the "Icon on Bond" site and go South, you will see what I mean. The rail line there is abandoned, and might make for a good light rail line, or just a great paved trail all the way up Bond to Monroe. The only downside of the Press site is the ugly Federal Building across the road. A great spot to go high though ;)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With speculation flying in the GR Business Journal about the Grand Rapids Press facility and its future, I wondered what the group thought they could envision for that site.  Here is a quote from the GRBJ the other day:

"The Grand Rapids Press building is a very underutilized piece of property now that they've moved the major printing operation out of downtown," said Jack Buchanan, president of Blue Bridge Ventures. "I think if they were to analyze what the cost of occupancy was of that facility given what they have left, they'd probably move."

Although it's somewhat disconnected from the hill, The Press facility at 155 Michigan St. NW is the next door west from Christman's medical towers. With more than 300,000 square feet between the main building and its four parking lots, The Press site has room to spare and a close relationship with the hill."

Daniel Schoonmaker

GRBJ

I think it is interesting that the rail viaduct is still intact under I-196, and could tie the Press site to the North Monroe neighborhood.  If you go to Bond Street near the "Icon on Bond" site and go South, you will see what I mean.  The rail line there is abandoned, and might make for a good light rail line, or just a great paved trail all the way up Bond to Monroe.  The only downside of the Press site is the ugly Federal Building across the road.  A great spot to go high though ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only bright spot about the Federal Building is that in due time, the plan is to tear it down to its skeleton, add a couple of floors, and then rebuild the whole exterior and interior. The down side to this plan is Grand Rapids has to wait in line with other larger or more politically politically powerful cities than us. It will happen in due time, but it will be a few years out yet.

I think the site would make a nice mixed use site for a high-rise. Hotel, Offices, Residential.

I agree, the connection to Monroe North would be great. The post office needs to come down too to make the walk from Michigan to Monroe north more inviting...

Joe

Archived