Height Limits For Downtown

TallTampa

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is there to fear re: highrises? Clearwater's mayor doesn't like the height of the Acqua project, Tampa's Council didn't like the height of the Kress project, and St Pete is up in arms over imposing a height limit.

What's the alternative, people? Sprawl. The Tampa Bay area is growing at a pretty healthy rate, and you can either build up or out.

I'll take some a few extra gleaming towers in the CBDs any day over miles and miles of endless strip malls, gas stations, subdivisions and chain restaurants.

Building heights only go up, because the land values have risen too high in certain areas to go low-rise. Make no doubt about it, establishing height limits will eventually stunt the growth of the downtowns.

I think the residents need to decide what they want and stop straddling the fence. Do they want a vibrant world class core, as an alternative to never ending sprawl? Or would they like everything to revert back to the 80's/90's when traffic congestion and suburbs totally dominated the scene.

I couldn't agree more, the civic group spear-heading this effort is looking for 300 ft limits, but seems open to allow up to 400 ft for the CBD. If this winds up being the case, I don't feel this would be too damaging to St.Pete's booming downtown.

400 feet would make sense with Albert Whitted Airport being so close.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Tampa's downtown will shoot straight up because it's on a peninsula with little land available nearby. There shouldn't be any height constraints there (and thankfully it seems the city leaders realize that). I think you're going to see a classic skyline develop in Tampa.

St Pete really has more of a friendly, pedestrian downtown and there's plenty of fringe land available for offices so I'm not sure height restrictions are a bad idea there. What you don't want are tons of empty buildings in an area with 10 50-story buildings. Driving around downtown in an area like that is terrible and St Pete really has such a nice downtown as it is. It reminds me of Austin, where coincidentally there is a height restriction - no building can be taller than the state capitol.

Archived