It's Official: Charlotte to have Macy's

jb4563

Why the hype over Macy's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Simply put, it's the last store standing.

Just about the entire history of department stores has been erased in the mania to consolidate and get bigger over the past several decades. The pace has accelerated over the past twenty years to the point that dozens of hometown stores have combined together through aquisition, merger (and failure) to create what will now be America's dominant upper middle market department store chain: Macy's.

We're upset, we're happy, we're in awe.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Class C stores are found in small towns in the Carolinas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky.  I think there are still a few stores in Virginia that fall into that category as well.  They're found mostly in strip centers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we,ve got one here in Lexinton. It's over in Parkway Plaza(were Wal-mart iz) on the south side of town. It's nice for it's size and I shop there often, as I don't want to drive to Winston or G-boro all the time. It's in a large white building at the end of the strip center. It's still fairly busy, even with Wally world there and all.

Well, we,ve got one here in Lexinton. It's over in Parkway Plaza(were Wal-mart iz) on the south side of town. It's nice for it's size and I shop there often, as I don't want to drive to Winston or G-boro all the time. It's in a large white building at the end of the strip center. It's still fairly busy, even with Wally world there and all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I pass that Belk whenever i'm coming/going to Gboro. a bit unrelated.. I heard that Target might get that Walmart space when it leaves in that shopping center with Belk.

I pass that Belk whenever i'm coming/going to Gboro. a bit unrelated.. I heard that Target might get that Walmart space when it leaves in that shopping center with Belk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, Target and Home depot are currently in the running. As for Macy's, which Hecht's are converting here in the triad. I know on fox 8 today they were talking about it. As far as I know there is the one at Hanes Mall and over at Four Seasons.

Well let me get back to pacman.

Yea, Target and Home depot are currently in the running. As for Macy's, which Hecht's are converting here in the triad. I know on fox 8 today they were talking about it. As far as I know there is the one at Hanes Mall and over at Four Seasons.

Well let me get back to pacman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Federated will convert all the Hecht's in the Triad into Macy's stores - there are only 3.. Wendover Avenue, Hanes Mall, Friendly Center

You know how Macy's is going to sell off duplicate locations in malls across the country? IMO there's going to be alot of spaces they won't be able to sell, unless it's to an unconventional mall retailer. I mean are they really going to sell the dept store they r closing to a mall competitor? If they are smart they will, I mean if they block another retailer out, then a huge empty store will be at their mall, which may eventually cut into their business b/c just about anything is better then having an abandoned anchor store at a mall. It seems as if so many dept stores were lost in this acquisition. Does NC have any regional department stores now besides Belk?

I mean are they really going to sell the dept store they r closing to a mall competitor?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ten years ago, I would have said no, but these days, I'd say yes. There's not enough potential tenants for empty spces for them to be snooty anymore.

Does NC have any regional department stores now besides Belk?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

B.C. Moore & Co. (not the craft chain, that's A.C. Moore :) ) in southern North Carolina is a regional chain, but it's not that big.

What I'm afraid of is that Macy's will start occupying these former Hecht's stores and then they'll decide that the market isn't good enough for them and they will vacate. I'm pinpointing this worry in the Triad area. We just aren't that advanced yet in the high-end retail market. Charlotte and the Triangle have had several years of experience so that may fit in just fine for Macy's knowing that they have competition. I'm just not that sure that this will go over well here in the Triad.

Though they weren't big national names, most of the major metro areas in NC had or have department or specialty chains equal to Macy's for years. Remember Ivey's, Thalhimers, Montaldo's or Miller & Rhoads?

There are only three Hecht's in the Triad and they're well-located for upscale shoppers. I don't think any of them will close as Macy's. Hanes Mall is the closest store they have to marginal performance, and I figure even they'll hold on.

Hecht's, in fact, weeded out all the marginal Thalhimers locations it aquired in NC back in the '90s, so there shouldn't be any closings as Macy's throughout the state.

I have my grandpa's old credit card/frequent shopper card from Thalhimers when he used to go to the one at Northgate in Durham. He died back in 1991, I believe the company was still around at that point. Yeah I have a feeling that the Hechts/Macy's there will close whenever their lease is up. Before Southpoint the Sears there was one of the busiest in the Triangle according to a friend who worked there, and now it's probably puttering along. I'm pretty sure the Southpoint Hechts does alot more business then Northgate, and that will cary over to Macys... Damn Southpoint Mall (j/k lol)

I have my grandpa's old credit card/frequent shopper card from Thalhimers when he used to go to the one at Northgate in Durham. He died back in 1991, I believe the company was still around at that point. Yeah I have a feeling that the Hechts/Macy's there will close whenever their lease is up. Before Southpoint the Sears there was one of the busiest in the Triangle according to a friend who worked there, and now it's probably puttering along. I'm pretty sure the Southpoint Hechts does alot more business then Northgate, and that will cary over to Macys... Damn Southpoint Mall (j/k lol)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thalhimers didn't convert to Hecht's until 1992, so yeah, they would have still had Thalhimers credit cards in 1991.

I thought with Hudson Belk bowing out that Hecht's business at Northgate would have got a boost.

Completely off subject but I heard Boscov's is coming to Danville VA. Any1 ever been to 1 and does any1 think they will migrate southward into NC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I snapped a couple of pictures of the construction:

http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2005/07/bosc...l-danville.html

Never been to one, but I'm familiar with the chain from friends and relatives up North. I think North Carolina is a possibility for them, but I don't imagine where.

I'm kind of suprised they chose to open their first VA store in that mall, but I'm glad it opened there instead of the Ames building just sitting empty. Maybe it will bring in more a-line tenants....I'l hafta get up there in the fall to check it out...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having a large, empty anchor space at center court certainly informed Boscov's decsion to locate in Danville.

It's going to help Piedmont Mall a lot. Piedmont Mall's struggling to break its image as a "country" mall, and with the momentum from Boscov's they've already gained several more modern tenants.

There is one in the Pentagon City Mall in Alrlington Va I believe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a Macy's at Pentagon City, but Mike was talking about Boscov's for a second, and currently the only one of those in Virginia is being built in Danville.

Macy's actually has four stores in Virginia: Pentagon City, Springfield Mall, Tysons Galleria, and Fair Oaks.

Archived