Internet Explorer 7 Beta1

M. Brown

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FireFox is UrbanPlanet's prefered browser.  We highly recommend all our users convert to FireFox.

trust.png

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If only I hadn't clicked "Block All Connections From This Program" by accident while downloading Firefox. :cry::angry::(:cry:

Thanks for closing the link.  Somebody had posted the link at Anandtech without saying it wasnt legit and everybody who saw the post started downloading it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now if you had taken my advice and stuck with Firefox you wouldn't have had all this trouble. If you lay with dogs, you are going to get bitten by some fleas.

Now if you had taken my advice and stuck with Firefox you wouldn't have had all this trouble.  If you lay with dogs, you are going to get bitten by some fleas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I already had firefox. I just wanted to try out the next IE and from the begining things were looking good, until i saw that some things werent compatible and windows update didnt work. It was only becuase its a beta version though. Just one not for the public. Now i have to figure out out to uninstall it so I can get windows updates.

mozilla is definitely the way to go. it will eventually kill IE and take back the browser crown, just like in the old-skool netscape days!

i'm using a nightly build of camino, which is the mac os x native version of firefox. B)

FF is closing in on 12% of all browser usage. Taken into account all corporate accounts and all that, that is quite impressive.

On my network, we're at 45% FF usage. UP is probably right with it or better given that you guys have the FF logo at the bottom.

FF is closing in on 12% of all browser usage.  Taken into account all corporate accounts and all that, that is quite impressive.

On my network, we're at 45% FF usage.  UP is probably right with it or better given that you guys have the FF logo at the bottom.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only way IE can be improved is if people quit using it. I already have all of the first three programs that monsoon's link mentions B)Those without Firefox are just living in the dark...

Last month only 77.4% of visitors to UP used Internet Explore, meaning 22.6% were using Firefox, Safari, or Netscape.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing I don't like about firefox is that some pages just won't allow you to use it/download from there site with that browser active. I've ran into a couple of times when I've had to open IE just to download or view a site. Other than that everything else is much better. Less spyware and faster page loading can't be beat.

The only thing I don't like about firefox is that some pages just won't allow you to use it/download from there site with that browser active. I've ran into a couple of times when I've had to open IE just to download or view a site. Other than that everything else is much better. Less spyware and faster page loading can't be beat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can blame that on the site programmers and not FF. If they design their site with W3C compliancy, you won't have problems.

The issue is that MS knew IE was so popular a few years ago (98% of the market) that they added special IE only coding that isn't W3C complaint and makes things look or act weird in other browsers.

FF has an extension you can add that lets you right click the page and it opens up IE and displays that page for you so you don't have to open IE, type in the url and all that yourself. At least FF tries to help but with IE breaking the rules and programmers coding with those broken rules, not much can be done.....except keep using FF because IE is losing market share fast and soon programmers will have no choice but to reprogram to be W3C (and thereby FF) compliant.

What pics do you not see? Perhaps you have FF set up incorrectly or is a very old version. I run an Internet network that requires me to view a considerable amount of pics each day and FF has no issue with viewing them for me or the other 40% of my members that use it.

There's a setting in FireFox that allows you to block images that are not hosted by the site you are visiting, it's a way to not see banner ads, since most on hosted by the advertising agency's severs, not the site itself.

However, it would block images posted by users on a site like UP, since users host photos on their own server, not UPs.

It's a tool used mostly by people who are only doing things like reading news and research of text on the internet.

Netscape is the older and clumsier brother to Firefox. They have alot of the same source code, but Firefox continues to be an open-source browser, which has allowed it to be come much more than Netscape could have ever dreamed.

I told AIM that I didn't want the upgrade. It already pops up enouch crap as it as. Also, I never liked the built in AIM feature that Netscape has. I assume this new thing would not be much different.

trust.png

Archived