Muskegon Development

GRDadof3

This was in the news today:

Paper mill cuts 365 jobs, pulp plant

Thursday, July 28, 2005

By Dave Alexander

CHRONICLE BUSINESS EDITOR WITH LOCAL REPORTS

Local paper mill workers were reeling from the early morning announcement by Sappi Fine Paper North America that it will close down its No. 4 paper machine, suspend operations in the pulp mill and eliminate 365 jobs.

The 60-percent reduction in the work force of 585 workers caught employees by surprise, according to those attending personnel meetings in the plant this morning.

One noticeable effect will be the elimination of the mill's odor, which comes from the pulp plant.

Although the loss of hundreds of jobs is not good, I think the only way that Muskegon can shake its industrial image and capitalize on the Muskegon Lake waterfront (the largest inland lake with access to Lake Michigan BTW), is to have that smelly paper mill gone :sick:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was in the news today:

Paper mill cuts 365 jobs, pulp plant

Thursday, July 28, 2005

By Dave Alexander

CHRONICLE BUSINESS EDITOR WITH LOCAL REPORTS

Local paper mill workers were reeling from the early morning announcement by Sappi Fine Paper North America that it will close down its No. 4 paper machine, suspend operations in the pulp mill and eliminate 365 jobs.

The 60-percent reduction in the work force of 585 workers caught employees by surprise, according to those attending personnel meetings in the plant this morning.

One noticeable effect will be the elimination of the mill's odor, which comes from the pulp plant.

Although the loss of hundreds of jobs is not good, I think the only way that Muskegon can shake its industrial image and capitalize on the Muskegon Lake waterfront (the largest inland lake with access to Lake Michigan BTW), is to have that smelly paper mill gone :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear that Muskegon is going to revitalize their warehouse area with condos.

Budgie

If they could sell the entire piece of property and someone could afford the environmental cleanup, it would be an awesome addition to the Lakefront.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the whole South side of the lake, from downtown out to the channel, will be redeveloped eventually as resort/marina property. It's virtually all abandoned industrial property now, except for that new Balcom's Cove condo "tower". It is a nice halfway point for Chicago pleasure boaters headed to Traverse and Mackinaw.

Archived