So. Po. now classified as 'urban center'

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S. Portland should be part of Portland IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with you! if youre from out of town you cant even tell when you cross city lines (by the jet port). that would bring portlands pop to 90-95 thousand, somewhere in there...sounds better than 65 :(

That's some good information. South Portland has made a name for itself in the last couple decades.

However, a lot of the jobs created are in the maine mall and surrounding strip malls, so a lot of the business takes place in an icon of suburban America. The town makes up for it with some nice dense neighborhoods.

That's some good information. South Portland has made a name for itself in the last couple decades.

However, a lot of the jobs created are in the maine mall and surrounding strip malls, so a lot of the business takes place in an icon of suburban America. The town makes up for it with some nice dense neighborhoods.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah i know what you mean..as far as an urban downtown, So. Po. lacks one. in fact, im not even sure many people know it has a downtown that is separate from the mall area. if you ask me, there are really two distinct towns within the same city. one is small-townish with local vendors and such (across the bridge) and the other is bustling with large retail stores that stretch into scarborough (mall area). it would be nice if portland could at least absorb the mall area, or if the two could merge into a new town altogether. more taxes, development would be easier, etc.. a few high rise hotels sprinkled throughout the mall area wouldnt hurt either. but im probably the only one in a 50 mile radius that thinks so :(

howabout machester? there isnt a "south manchester" like there is for portland and burlington, is there? what are the towns and populations of them that surround manch? M. Brown, i noticed you were surfing this forum so i figure you could answer this one. thanks.

I just did some research on the ol' internet....

Manchester = 33 square miles

Portland + South Portland = 33.2

Gives a good comparison of size. In order to reach the same population as Manchester by combining towns, Portland + South Porland would need to add another 16.9 square miles of Westbrook to get in the 105,000 range. Pointless, but I had some time to kill. :)

I just did some research on the ol' internet....

Manchester = 33 square miles

Portland + South Portland = 33.2

Gives a good comparison of size. In order to reach the same population as Manchester by combining towns, Portland + South Porland would need to add another 16.9 square miles of Westbrook to get in the 105,000 range. Pointless, but I had some time to kill. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not pointless at all, as corny as it may sound to some, i am interested in that sort of thing, and i imagine others on here must be too...many people here 65 thousand people for portland's population and dont understand how big it really is, or grasp the significance it has as a state hub. the same sort of thing happens for burlington, which is way bigger than a city of under 40,000 should be. im not sure if the same is true for manchester, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was. especially in NNE, one has to take into consideration the outerlying towns to see a city's true significance cause there is so much land unused up here that it gives people the opportunity to work in a community when they live up to 20 miles outside of it in the woods. i heard something about portland trying to incorporate so. po. a while back, i am trying to scour the internet for information on that...hopefully i find some.

Archived