Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

• 3 weeks later...

Yah, I doubt it. Even though the furthest West building will have 12 floors exposed, it will only be level with the rest of 6 story buildings. Drop a crane on the uphill side and away you go. designcritic could probably help us out on this one.

In the near term there will be one tower crane for the Cancer Pavillion and one for the second tower from the west. Both will be up at the same time. After that there will also be individual tower cranes for the two remaining towers. There are numerous reasons for the tower cranes. There won't be complete access around all sides of the towers, don't want to close a lane of Michigan Street, need to reach up to 150' above elevation of Michigan Street,...

The cranes should be going into the air in a few weeks.

In the near term there will be one tower crane for the Cancer Pavillion and one for the second tower from the west. Both will be up at the same time. After that there will also be individual tower cranes for the two remaining towers. There are numerous reasons for the tower cranes. There won't be complete access around all sides of the towers, don't want to close a lane of Michigan Street, need to reach up to 150' above elevation of Michigan Street,...

The cranes should be going into the air in a few weeks.

ohhhhh drool.gif

I know i could read through the whole thread, but a simple yes or no would be quicker - are they leaving up the Medical Towers building? If so, why?

Once Tower 2 is built, the people in the existing Towers building will move into it and then the building can be torn down making way for the connector piece and Tower 1

Once Tower 2 is built, the people in the existing Towers building will move into it and then the building can be torn down making way for the connector piece and Tower 1

As someone who works in the Towers building, I will be looking forward to moving to the new building. However, the construction is getting a little crazy down here. With the DeVos Children's Hospital construction starting across the street in the near future, the Van Andel updates, the Cancer Pavilion to the east and other medical building to the west, it's a bit much.

I'm still wondering how I'm going to get out of the building once everything really begins....AeroMed from the rooftop? :)

I'm still wondering how I'm going to get out of the building once everything really begins....AeroMed from the rooftop? :)

That's some serious excavating going on around you. I was driving westbound on 196 into work this morning and noticed that the east entrance to the building has a pretty nasty first step. :lol:

Speaking of the Van Andel Institute's expansion, there's a proposal in this week's Planning Commission agenda for Immanuel Lutheran to tear down their current school and construct a huge new addition just to the South of the church along Division to make room for VAI - Phase II.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=651

I would post it, but don't have capability at work anymore. PBJ or twoshort wanna give it a try?

It looks like it fits in well with the current church's architecture (even better than the current school). :thumbsup:

That's some funny stuff. I was at the Towers building last week, and couldn't figure out how to get inside. Ended up taking the crosswalk over Michigan.

If you do need to get to the Towers building for an appointment, they did make a nice parking lot for patients. However, it tends to fill up quickly with folks from the construction sites.

That's another good question to ask: with all this construction, where are all the construction workers going to park? It's already a zoo down here with all of the hospital workers.