Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

That's a good call. It would probably go from this :D to this :sick: to this :shok: to this :ph34r: ... or something like that.

Oh, my sides.

You'd probably get a few shots pointing straight into the wall - and a few pointing back OUT the tunnel. :)

Would be quite the experiment.

so they will be using cranes for this project? I didnt think they would because of the hill, but hey its not like there is a problem with more cranes on the skyline (although I must say its going to look even better once they come down :yahoo: )

Edited by snoogit

so they will be using cranes for this project? I didnt think they would because of the hill, but hey its not like there is a problem with more cranes on the skyline (although I must say its going to look even better once they come down :yahoo: )

Yes, mentioned back in March:

In the near term there will be one tower crane for the Cancer Pavillion and one for the second tower from the west. Both will be up at the same time. After that there will also be individual tower cranes for the two remaining towers. There are numerous reasons for the tower cranes. There won't be complete access around all sides of the towers, don't want to close a lane of Michigan Street, need to reach up to 150' above elevation of Michigan Street,...

The cranes should be going into the air in a few weeks.

Can someone (designcritic :whistling: ) let me know when the tower cranes start going up on these two sites? I know it's supposed to be very soon, but it's hard to see the bottom of the construction sites while driving by. ;)

Some of the crane parts are currently stacked on the north side of the Towers building. The tunnel crew needs to get out of the way before they can pour the massive footing for the crane. The east crane should go up in the next couple of weeks. The one for the site west of the Towers building should follow shortly after.

Some of the crane parts are currently stacked on the north side of the Towers building. The tunnel crew needs to get out of the way before they can pour the massive footing for the crane. The east crane should go up in the next couple of weeks. The one for the site west of the Towers building should follow shortly after.

Urban Planet Grand Rapids... A:

cornucopia-basket-large.jpg

Of useful information

Sort of off topic, but in the realm enough to post:

Much of the urban renewal area is connected by tunnels. I'm told a few them were even operating until 9/11. They were closed due to security issues that seem more obvious now. I believe the Fifth Third, City/County, and old Hall of Justice were part of the system. Anyone know more?

Also, the Press has a tunnel between the Press building and the Int. 196 bridge, used for loading paper rolls from the train tracks into the old printing area.

Sort of off topic, but in the realm enough to post:

Much of the urban renewal area is connected by tunnels. I'm told a few them were even operating until 9/11. They were closed due to security issues that seem more obvious now. I believe the Fifth Third, City/County, and old Hall of Justice were part of the system. Anyone know more?

Also, the Press has a tunnel between the Press building and the Int. 196 bridge, used for loading paper rolls from the train tracks into the old printing area.

There is still an active tunnel between the BankOne building (make that Chase) and the Government Center Parking Ramp under City Hall. From there a ped can connect to the both 5/3 buildings and the Calder Plaza building by walking through the underground parking structures - a tunnel route of sorts. Years ago you could get to the Fed building the same way, but now you have to go to the plaza to get through the security checkpoint.

You are right, there used to be a tunnel from City Hall to the old Hall of Justice. This was removed when DeVos Place was constructed.

There is also a tunnel under Lafayette, connecting St. Mary's hospital to their medical building.

Edited by rnr-plnr