Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Here's the latest update on the Towers construction:

A tower crane will be erected for the Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion parking structure the weekend of April 21. The crane has been approved by the Federal Aviation Administration and has been coordinated with Aeromed flight services. The crane will be onsite for 18 months to assist in the construction of the parking structures and associated tower superstructures.

I can't wait to see it!

Med school resolution on agenda

GRAND RAPIDS -- After months of planning, Michigan State University is poised to take a major step toward expanding its medical school to West Michigan.

President Lou Anna Simon is seeking approval to sign contracts with Van Andel Institute and local hospitals, recruit faculty and apply for national accreditation.

No location announcement yet. :(

Here's the latest update on the Towers construction:

A tower crane will be erected for the Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion parking structure the weekend of April 21. The crane has been approved by the Federal Aviation Administration and has been coordinated with Aeromed flight services. The crane will be onsite for 18 months to assist in the construction of the parking structures and associated tower superstructures.

I can't wait to see it!

Thanks MrsB! :wub: Do you know if this site will eventually have a construction cam?

Med school resolution on agenda

GRAND RAPIDS -- After months of planning, Michigan State University is poised to take a major step toward expanding its medical school to West Michigan.

President Lou Anna Simon is seeking approval to sign contracts with Van Andel Institute and local hospitals, recruit faculty and apply for national accreditation.

No location announcement yet. :(

Board of Trustees approved the expansion today. Next is looking for locations.

This story needs more press. The med school is supposed to have a 10 year $1Billion impact on the region almost the as much as RiverGrand and we only hear about it every couple of months.

Exactly GaryP! :thumbsup: Does anyone remember what the 5 research clusters were going to be? I think they were in the documents put out a couple of months ago.

Never mind, found them:

Cancer

Obesity

Cardiovascular Diseases

Arthritis

Neurobiology

http://humanmedicine.msu.edu/WorkPapers.pdf

Exactly GaryP! :thumbsup: Does anyone remember what the 5 research clusters were going to be? I think they were in the documents put out a couple of months ago.

Never mind, found them:

Cancer

Obesity

Cardiovascular Diseases

Arthritis

Neurobiology

I thought the whole paragraph was pretty interesting

This proposal emphasizes five areas of research (with the selection of cancer

initially): cancer, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, arthritis, and neurobiology.

These choices are based on research strengths in West Michigan and of the

national needs for research evidenced in NIH planning documents. These areas:

Never mind, found them:

Cancer

Obesity

Cardiovascular Diseases

Arthritis

Neurobiology

There is an overview of the plan on this website, as well as links to other documents (including the mentioned report):

http://special.newsroom.msu.edu/msu_wmms/index.html

This is great news for both Grand Rapids and MSU, and now that some formal agreements between parties can be made, it sounds pretty likely that this will happen!

GO GREEN!

GO GREEN!

Go White!

I always get sad when I drive on division, and I see the building with the MSU west michigan sign in it, and wished MSU has more of a presence in GR... Its nice to finally see some things start to happen!

Next thing would be to get a large Ag station in one of the surroundning communities, closer than Fennville or clarksville.

From what I hear, St. Mary's doesn't want it too close to Spectrum, and vice versa. Midtowne Village might be an acceptable location.

This is my guess as well. Wasn't the first building supposed to begin construction by now here anyway???

Maybe things are further along than we know

/trying to get WOODTV on the case :P

Never mind, found them:

Cancer

Obesity

Cardiovascular Diseases

Arthritis

Neurobiology

Thoes are pretty wide ranging... Can you imagine the impact of a "cure" for all thoes categories? I wonder what that would do for the City of Grand Rapids in terms of economic and population growth. I can see a huge boost in the molding of bioscience research and manufactoring sectors.

Thoes are pretty wide ranging... Can you imagine the impact of a "cure" for all thoes categories? I wonder what that would do for the City of Grand Rapids in terms of economic and population growth. I can see a huge boost in the molding of bioscience research and manufactoring sectors.

research into obesity alone would help 50% of us :P

I'm here at MSU and got the State News today and they said they are looking at 4 locations this was probably mentioned earlier as they said the locations were named last year but I didn't have a chance to read all the posts here.

"Four potential sites for the school were named last year, all in downtown Grand Rapids. Of the four choices, a lot located directly across from the Van Andel Institute seems most practical, placing the school in the heart of the city's "medical mile."

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=35860

ah, nevermind, the 4 sites are listed in the WoodTV article.

"The university is considering four sites around the area, one near Saint Mary's Hospital, one at College Avenue and Michigan Street, one on the Michigan hill across from Spectrum Butterworth and one near the Van Andel Institute. "

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4764704

I can't wait to see plans

Edited by vexom

Amen to that! Even my 5 year old daughter told me the GR Press building was ugly when we drove by it the other day. :thumbsup:

Guess's or Dreams? I would vote for where the GR Press building is downtown, just to get rid of that building.

I still wonder about Davenport. I seems like that is the ideal location if they want it to be on neutral ground.

Or the lot that was supposed to be Park Place near Division and Fulton.

I think it's funny that they are targeting obesity. I'm sure they won't have a problem finding case studies around here. ;)

Joe