Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I think it's funny that they are targeting obesity. I'm sure they won't have a problem finding case studies around here. ;)

Joe

Hey! I resemble that remark!!! Uhh.... Ahem.

Maybe less barley and hops in my diet would help? (And what do I find when I get home from work yesterday? Oberon! My wife is trying to kill me, I swear. :rofl: )

From yesterday's article in The State News:

The next step is picking a site for the $60-70 million building that will be constructed to house the school — which Simon said officials are about "90 percent sure" they've found.

"We pretty much know where we want to be," she said, but the final numbers on costs and construction plans need to be nailed down before they are announced.

Four potential sites for the school were named last year, all in downtown Grand Rapids. Of the four choices, a lot located directly across from the Van Andel Institute seems most practical, placing the school in the heart of the city's "medical mile."

Isn't there a surface lot on the north side of Michigan not too far west of the Van Andel Institute? I wonder if this is the lot they are referring to? There aren't too many other open lots around there. I'll add my vote for the Grand Rapids Press building being ugly, but unfortunately I think that may be too far away from where MSU wants to be. At any rate, it sounds like they have pretty much made up their minds, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Edited by highwayguy

Hey! I resemble that remark!!! Uhh.... Ahem.

Maybe less barley and hops in my diet would help? (And what do I find when I get home from work yesterday? Oberon! My wife is trying to kill me, I swear. :rofl: )

To save your life I'm willing to take the Oberon.

Edited by civitas

To save your life I'm willing to take the Oberon.

Such sacrifice civitas. :P

The funny thing is is that I'll bet MSU already has plans drawn up, site selected, and preliminary construction costs already. They're just not playing into the "media land speculation" game.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for a "signature" building for this though. It will probably be pretty academic looking, like the Cook Devos Health building.

That lot is gone:....

When they say "across from Van Andel Institute", I wonder if they are referring to the Al & Sons Garage and lot on Division that was just purchased recently by VAI?

Maybe MSU is or will be part of the RDV development.

A few years ago I considered the purchase of the little print shop on Cresent next to Al & Sons Garage. It appears that I should have. We were looking into an incubator research facility of about 4-stories on the site with parking below and off the alley. Combined with Al & Sons it might support MSU's initial program, but might limit future growth.

How big does the school get if all their dreams came true? How many SF of building will they need?

Maybe MSU is or will be part of the RDV development.

A few years ago I considered the purchase of the little print shop on Cresent next to Al & Sons Garage. It appears that I should have. We were looking into an incubator research facility of about 4-stories on the site with parking below and off the alley. Combined with Al & Sons it might support MSU's initial program, but might limit future growth.

How big does the school get if all their dreams came true? How many SF of building will they need?

Edit: "Total square footage required varies from 112,000 to 182,000 depending upon whether research space is required within the facility or provided within the VAI facility." It is interesting that they put the Dean in the old Mercantile Bank building temporarily.

I too thought I had heard that the far West building of the RDV complex was looked at as well.

That lot is gone

When they say "across from Van Andel Institute", I wonder if they are referring to the Al & Sons Garage and lot on Division that was just purchased recently by VAI?

I wonder if they mean Crescent Park on the South side of VAI? I guess its not really across from VAI. Maybe the GRCC ramp just South of Crescent street?

GrandRapidsApril06064.jpg

Where is/was Al and Sons? Upon further review I see GRDadof3 said it was on Division.

Edited by 6th Gen local

Such sacrifice civitas. :P

The funny thing is is that I'll bet MSU already has plans drawn up, site selected, and preliminary construction costs already. They're just not playing into the "media land speculation" game.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for a "signature" building for this though. It will probably be pretty academic looking, like the Cook Devos Health building.

I kinda like the cook devos, its not that bad looking :blush:

I kinda like the cook devos, its not that bad looking :blush:

No, don't get me wrong. I like it too. I'm just tempering expectations of people who might be expecting something "spectabulous". This is one of those situations where function may trump the architecture.

Mrs B seerms to be our Towers building insider :D

Well, I did some digging and as of right now, there are no plans to put up a webcam for the construction site for the Lemmen Holton Cancer Pavilion. There could be one for the other site on the west side of the Towers building, but I haven't heard a peep.

I certainly wouldn't mind the new Med School looking like Cook-Devos. I think if they built it along North Division, it would help tie together the urban fabric of downtown (Kendall College area), GRCC and the Michigan Hill developments. Then maybe someone will develop the Ellis lot between Division and Ionia instead of building a ramp like Kendall wants to do :(

That's what happens when you can bypass City review of your proposed sign (edu property).

If that sign had been required to go before the city for a permit it never would have been installed. Its too big, its above the roof line, its higher than the 4th floor, etc., etc., etc.

Except for the unfortunate kerning on a couple of letters, I like it and the one on the DeVos Center.

They look better than the "BOATSHOW" sign projected on the back of the convention center.

Now here's a rooftop sign....

ghiradelli86_2002scan.jpg

Got some updated shots today on the Lemmen Holton portion of this project:

130790829_0754124901_b.jpg

Looks like the first level of the parking garage is almost finished

130790828_01dae8f1ab_b.jpg

And based on designcritic's and MrsB's crane descriptions, I would say this is the crane foundation in front of the tunnel

130791611_4a729a6e88_b.jpg

130791613_e8786c0744_b.jpg