Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Say what you want, but I am very thankful that the next generations of the dutch mafia families is showing signs of giving the way that their parents have for years. We are certainly fortunate to have people with this kind of money that are willing to give back to the community!

Hats off to the DeVos kids; Nice job and thanks! :thumbsup:

Yes, very much so! I don't think people realize how SIGNIFICANT just the Children's Hospital project will be on the Hill. 12 stories and $190,000,000. That's almost the cost of Devos Place and 3 times the original cost of Van Andel Arena. :w00t:

Here's another comparison. RiverHouse is 34 stories and about $80 Million.

Is just me, or does this not look like George Jetson's apartment. The artist really needs to add a dog walk tread mill with George and Astro on it.

That would actually look really good as the children's hospital, although I think Spectrum wants to have it look more like the Heart Center so they can keep some continuity.

Do you think the windows will have the opaque look or is that just the model? The windows could change the look dramatically depending on what they do (but I kind of like the pseudo japanese windscreen look they've got going).

Joe

New illustration of the Medical Complex:

Illustration by URS

A little "blockier" than I pictured, but it's more institutional than commercial.

Do you think the windows will have the opaque look or is that just the model? The windows could change the look dramatically depending on what they do (but I kind of like the pseudo japanese windscreen look they've got going).

Joe

I'm sure they look opaque because the interior was not modeled when the rendering was done.

I'm thinking the same way. I was expecting more news on this and MSU by now. Wonder if something is up or if I'm getting paranoid :unsure:

You're getting paranoid :thumbsup:

Unless some out of town contractors start showing up for work, there is only so much labor that can be applied to jobs. Let some foundations get filled and move on to the next phase, and more holes will open up soon enough.

this is true, but don't we rely on out of town contractor for alot of the work that happens?

No, general contractors only in special cases (like JW, GRAM, or VAI) and the vast majority of the rest of the work is done by locals. BTW we don't have a lot of construction activity going on right now that isn't downtown. There are plenty of guys willing and able to start these jobs.

this is true, but don't we rely on out of town contractor for alot of the work that happens?

Maybe as the general contractor and some specialty work, but alot of the work is subcontracted out to local companies.

Plus remember supply comes into the equation as well. There is only so much concrete that can be manufactured and poured in this area.

You guys are totally paranoid. They are still looking at design firms for the MSU Med School. And my guess is that they can't start VAI - Phase II until they demolish the school portion of the church next door.

Now go take your Zanax and chill out. You're starting to get bug-eyed. Sheesh!

lol come on dad, We just havent heard any news on it. I think we all have been bitten by the talk a big game, but no action developement that happens around GR alot.

Zanax taken.

Edited by MJLO

Now go take your Zanax and chill out. You're starting to get bug-eyed. Sheesh!

:w00t:

You guys are totally paranoid. They are still looking at design firms for the MSU Med School. And my guess is that they can't start VAI - Phase II until they demolish the school portion of the church next door.

Now see, thats all I'm asking. More news right there than we've had for a month on these projects.

I hope MSU picks someone local; I don't even want to see a local/national partnership.

lol come on dad, We just havent heard any news on it. I think we all have been bitten by the talk a big game, but no action developement that happens around GR alot.

Zanax taken.

Isn't Zantex an allergy medication? I meant XANAX - Anti-Anxiety medication.

I disagree that it happens a lot. In fact, it happens very rarely around here. Especially the institutional work, which I believe has 100% built rate. Why don't each of you pick up a pen, or shovel, (whichever you're better at) and go start your own project (as I've said many times before). Use your nervous energy for good and not evil.

End rant (unless further ranting is needed).

I think part of my problem is that developement news is like my crack, when i haven't had any in like a week, I go thru nervous withdrawal

That's why I'm looking at starting my own "crack" factory. I think it will be more fulfilling. Like I said, put all that great energy to good use.

....and we're back with more VAI news....later

And my guess is that they can't start VAI - Phase II until they demolish the school portion of the church next door.

There will be a shared wall between the church's new building and VAI-2. The church has finalized plans for their building now so the VAI planners were probably waiting for that. From what I understand the shared wall is right on the property line. So with the church's plans set, VAI can probably move ahead whenever.

My wife and I have been attending there and were present the day they were presenting the final plans.