Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Nothing against MidTowne Village (other than it's too far from downtown), but I just don't see MSU being thrilled about it. Take a look at the site plan. The building in the lower middle is taken (along Michigan), the building in the upper left is taken (Women's Health Center), and the building in the upper middle is taken (Park Row Condos). I can't imagine MSU would want to be relegated to some back corner spot here. I just don't get it. I think the media just keeps reiterating this location because it was mentioned as a possibility WAY back in the Proof of Concept. MSU has not mentioned this site since. Frankly, I don't want to see it go here. It's a waste of a great opportunity to create some massing along Michigan/Division.

Rizzo, if it's Olds Manor, I'll cry. It would most certainly get torn down, and there is no place to park around it. Moving the post office would take an act of congress (literally).

Let's not forget that the old buildings between Big Apple Bagel and McDonald's also changed hands recently.

I only mentioned Olds Manor because I think this property is under one of the families control. It would suck if they'd buy it to tear down.

Edited by Rizzo

What about the southeast corner of Lafayette and Michigan. It's just an old gas station with a 1 story Spectrum building next to it. I think a church owns the house behind it. Could be.

Lake Michigan Credit Union is getting ready to build there, if I'm thinking of the correct "old gas station".

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...141&hl=lott

I would guess they've approached the Press and the Rowe Hotel owners (and every land owner on Michigan) about the possibility of selling, just so they have every option on the table.

This move is just as much about MSU trying to increase their stature as a reknowned research medical school as it is about Grand Rapids expanding its life sciences industry, as evidenced in this REPORT. Otherwise they wouldn't be taking such a DRASTIC step. They're going to want to the most prestigious location with the greatest exposure they can find, IMO.

Here's another update

Trustees also tipped their hand to their favored location: The Michigan Hill Medical Complex, being built on Michigan Street across from Van Andel Institute.

They'll probably take the building planned at the far Western end and taylor the design. Great exposure there.

GR dad, the Medical Complex would make a very good location. However, instead of being at the western end, I say MSU will likely go in where that brown and white office bulding, in the middle of the construction site, still stands. That particular building is to be demoed to makeway for further construction some time down the road. That would leave MSU a blank slate to play with and also some time for design work.

Wait, so MSU would build an new tower on this development or just occupy one of the towers set to be built? When I look at the layout I don't see to much space to work with unless they plan to occupy one of the towers on the plan. I mean, 70 to 80 million can buy you a lot of building...

GR dad, the Medical Complex would make a very good location. However, instead of being at the western end, I say MSU will likely go in where that brown and white office bulding, in the middle of the construction site, still stands. That particular building is to be demoed to makeway for further construction some time down the road. That would leave MSU a blank slate to play with and also some time for design work.

I'd have to go back through the RDV/Christman thread, but I believe the brown Towers Medical building cannot come down until these people have a place to go. They're planned to go into the 1st building to be finished, which is the 2nd building from the left in this image, and not until late 2007 or 2008:

79862939_6ffb99293d_o.jpg

That would mean MSU couldn't start until 2008, and wouldn't be finished for almost 2 years. That timeframe doesn't work out well. The wild card is the far West building (far left). I don't think there is a definite end-user at this time. I would imagine once the parking deck goes in as the base, MSU can do some redesign of the West building and make it "unique", as long as the footprint stayed the same. :dontknow: No wonder it's taking so long to pick a site.

Wait, so MSU would build an new tower on this development or just occupy one of the towers set to be built? When I look at the layout I don't see to much space to work with unless they plan to occupy one of the towers on the plan. I mean, 70 to 80 million can buy you a lot of building...

I would think that a facility of this sort would need to be clean slate. Not just to meet MSU's high symbolic expectations, but also the demands of the particular nature of a scientific research facility regarding temperature control, lighting control, NVH, clean rooms, and high security issues. I would think they'd have a very demanding specification for their building, and need to start from scratch.

I would think that a facility of this sort would need to be clean slate. Not just to meet MSU's high symbolic expectations, but also the demands of the particular nature of a scientific research facility regarding temperature control, lighting control, NVH, clean rooms, and high security issues. I would think they'd have a very demanding specification for their building, and need to start from scratch.

I figured that would be the case. I went back the the Christman thread and viewed the South Elevation. It would appear that if MSU was going for symbolism and a noticeable presence then building 3's space would seem fitting.

I thought that all these buildings had tenants so if MSU builds here on this section of property, I wonder where that leaves the tenants for building three? Sorry, for my confusion...

I really hope this is the spot because seeing a nice building with the glowing green MSU all over the top would make for a rallycry for us MSU fans :lol:

Edited by Rizzo

Good Point. I didn't know that the old office building was going hold out for so long. If MSU would pick the far west end, I wonder how much time they would have to to redesign the building to go on top of the ramp, if they opt not to move into what is planed by the developers.

I'd have to go back through the RDV/Christman thread, but I believe the brown Towers Medical building cannot come down until these people have a place to go. They're planned to go into the 1st building to be finished, which is the 2nd building from the left in this image, and not until late 2007 or 2008:

79862939_6ffb99293d_o.jpg

That would mean MSU couldn't start until 2008, and wouldn't be finished for almost 2 years. That timeframe doesn't work out well. The wild card is the far West building (far left). I don't think there is a definite end-user at this time. I would imagine once the parking deck goes in as the base, MSU can do some redesign of the West building and make it "unique", as long as the footprint stayed the same. :dontknow: No wonder it's taking so long to pick a site.

Edited by tamias6

No, the Towers bldg is right about here:

According to the Press, the favorite is Building 3.

Although the unanimous vote Friday was to plan for a building along Michigan Street without a specific site, Nugent said the Michigan Hill project is the top choice. He said the westernmost of three buildings planned on the site would be ideal for the MSU school.

"I think that's an excellent location," he said.

Nugent said it's necessary to look at other sites, too.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Edited by Rizzo

Also doesn't look like a lot of walking room was left along Michigan Ave...that shaded in character looks to be performing a balancing act.

I looked at the current sidewalk yesterday and it's pretty narrow now. I wonder what they're going to do about pedestrians when they start work on the children's hospital? The sidewalk on the North side is totally gone. If the sidewalk on the South side of Michigan is also obliterated during the 3 years of construction, ouch!! People will have to go all the way around the hospital, down Barclay to Lyon, to get downtown.

I looked at the current sidewalk yesterday and it's pretty narrow now. I wonder what they're going to do about pedestrians when they start work on the children's hospital? The sidewalk on the North side is totally gone. If the sidewalk on the South side of Michigan is also obliterated during the 3 years of construction, ouch!! People will have to go all the way around the hospital, down Barclay to Lyon, to get downtown.

Parents and kids walking along that stretch of road would really appreciate not having to constantly dodge around other people, all while performing a tight-rope act not to fall into the 5 lanes of Michigan Ave traffic.

I would think that at least 8ft wide sidewalks would be an almost necessity (two people walking side-by-side in each direction, not to mention strollers, wheelchairs, etc.). These are smart people designing and building Medical Mile...I sure hope they don't "skip" over big details like this! :blink:

Still, leaders on Friday said they would examine the entire area for other possible locations.

MSU. The suspense is killing me! Anyway if they do settle for the far west end. I hope they design a building that will knock our socks off instead of blending in with the rest of the development.

I haven't been so anxious to hear development news in a long time. I guess it's because we know it's coming, that it's big, but we don't know where.

tamias, I still think your design would work marvelously at the West end of the RDV/Christman project. :thumbsup: Just pick it up from where we had it and move it about 200 yards to the North.

275696071_6af9d00b91.jpg

In other related news, anyone remember this guy?

72517121_1e2c054a6d_b.jpg

Or this little guy?

72963146_e766481278_o.jpg

I haven't been so anxious to hear development news in a long time. I guess it's because we know it's coming, that it's big, but we don't know where.

I echo that same sentiment. Perhaps its exciting because its a project with a very high degree of probability to become completed. Its just the questions of whats it going to like like and where's it gonna be?

Do you know if RDV/Christman would want drastically different architecture for the building along South Division? Wouldn't this mess with the overall consistency of the project?

Also I drove by today and it looks like concrete has been poured. Does anyone know if they would be able to build upon what has already been done or would it have to be scrapped?

The only thing I don't like about the location of the west building is that it is completely unfriendly to the pedestrian. The bridges are built so close to division it would seem hard to make division more walkable along that stretch.

Joe

...I really hope this is the spot because seeing a nice building with the glowing green MSU all over the top would make for a rallycry for us MSU fans :lol:

FYI, the brilliant blue traffic-stopping GVSU signage is not in compliance with City code. (I think I remember seeing a pending bill that would change that, i.e. require educational institutions to comply with zoning ordinances in their home jurisdiction.)

What the heck does this mean?:

In certain corners of the local real estate community, a very detailed rumor has emerged that a well-known MSU alum is angling to purchase a piece of property slated for an upcoming neurosurgical center for the purpose of the med school. The motive being that a certain health care system one might expect to root for the Fighting Irish was opposed to locating a facility it has an equity interest in across the street from its rival.

Upon investigation, land owners said they had not received any such offers...

Business Journal Street Talk - Oct. 23rd

Anyone want to speculate?

Edit: nevermind. I think they're talking about the new St Mary's Neurosciences building on Cherry, and that there must have been a rumor that someone was going to buy that spot and try to put the MSU med school there.