Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Parents and kids walking along that stretch of road would really appreciate not having to constantly dodge around other people, all while performing a tight-rope act not to fall into the 5 lanes of Michigan Ave traffic.

I would think that at least 8ft wide sidewalks would be an almost necessity (two people walking side-by-side in each direction, not to mention strollers, wheelchairs, etc.). These are smart people designing and building Medical Mile...I sure hope they don't "skip" over big details like this! :blink:

City oughta scrape off the lane lines and make it 4 lanes for the duration, with a south curb lane barricaded off for use by peds. Presently the westbound lane (adjacent to the building site) is very narrow, and those jersey walls look v-e-r-y hard.

What the heck does this mean?:

In certain corners of the local real estate community, a very detailed rumor has emerged that a well-known MSU alum is angling to purchase a piece of property slated for an upcoming neurosurgical center for the purpose of the med school. The motive being that a certain health care system one might expect to root for the Fighting Irish was opposed to locating a facility it has an equity interest in across the street from its rival.

Upon investigation, land owners said they had not received any such offers...

Business Journal Street Talk - Oct. 23rd

Anyone want to speculate?

Edit: nevermind. I think they're talking about the new St Mary's Neurosciences building on Cherry, and that there must have been a rumor that someone was going to buy that spot and try to put the MSU med school there.

and here I was thinking Notre Dame was going to get involved in the med school business here too :lol:

FYI, the brilliant blue traffic-stopping GVSU signage is not in compliance with City code. (I think I remember seeing a pending bill that would change that, i.e. require educational institutions to comply with zoning ordinances in their home jurisdiction.)

Actually, I really dislike the GVSU signs both on the medical building and along 131. I think they look quite tacky.

Actually, I really dislike the GVSU signs both on the medical building and along 131. I think they look quite tacky.

The sign on GVSU's med building I don't mind. Its the one on their DT campus that looks out of place. To me its like installing a McDonalds sign on a castle in Scotland.

No. One facility, two hospital partnerships.

I'm pretty sure anything like this would be a situation for "tight lips," but say someone who is involved with JW project maybe ear to the ground for an MSU project in Downtown GR also? :whistling:

Edited by Rizzo

I'm pretty sure anything like this would be a situation for "tight lips," but say someone who is involved with JW project maybe ear to the ground for an MSU project in Downtown GR also? :whistling:

I'm guessing they'll make a decision on the site before the elections next week. The incumbent trustees want to get re-elected. Big decisions and announcements are good for them. Its the same reason they fired John L. Smith when they did.

loose lips sink ships

Beginning next summer, there are going to be major changes to Wealthy, east of Division, including two roundabouts and some tree-lined medians. All of these improvements will be adjacent to alot of vacant property composed primarily of surface parking lots. St. Marys owns most of this property.

This is purely speculation but all of this could be the ground work for a large project that will begin to front on this vastly improved street.

Would they really be doing all of this, just to have it be adjacent to surface parking lots?

Beginning next summer, there are going to be major changes to Wealthy, east of Division, including two roundabouts and some tree-lined medians.

Would they really be doing all of this, just to have it be adjacent to surface parking lots?

Isn't a lot of this spearheaded by ICCF? While their goal is to "restore the residential character of this neighborhood while at the same time accommodating local businesses and institutions essential for a stable neighborhood," I think its been in the works for much longer than they've known about MSU.

I could be wrong though.

GRAND RAPIDS -- Faculty from Michigan State University will be in Grand Rapids Friday to give the community a behind the scenes look at their new medical school.

http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5629141

Maybe MSU will divulge more than just words of reiteration in this session.

Edited by Rizzo