Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I think they are talking about the old Sambo's Restaurant, that is now medical offices, behind Bagel Beanery? That would not be on the corner of Michigan and College, but College and I-196.

Oh - I see NE corner - Is the NE corner apart of the Midtowne Village?

EDIT: I see the NE corner is not apart of Midtowne Village.

Edited by mpchicago

I think it is the property behind Bagel Beanery. The building on the NE corner is 16,000 square feet (not 6000), owned by Jade Pig Ventures.

I wonder if it will include the old buildings that extend out to Michigan as well. Here is the property (I believe) highlighted, which was just purchased last summer by a group of physician investors.

post-2672-1163095734_thumb.jpg

Although further from downtown than I would like, it's also great that there will be another sizable building along Michigan. And talk about visibility. It will be the first building you see as you're entering dowtown from the East. Get that commuter rail tied in!

I agree that being closer to downtown would be a better location, but I don't know all the circumstances or needs for such a school/building. It will be a nice addition both along I-196 and Michigan St. As times move along, I hope people continue to fill in along Michigan and create a solid Medical Corridor. I also hope with the added interest in the area they will take another look at the transit problems we may have in the near future.

I wonder if it will include the old buildings that extend out to Michigan as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if MSU or Spectrum won't own or have options to purchase the remaining parcels in the block bound by College, Michigan, I-196 and Sinclair in the next few months/years.

I think it is the property behind Bagel Beanery. The building on the NE corner is 16,000 square feet (not 6000), owned by Jade Pig Ventures.

I wonder if it will include the old buildings that extend out to Michigan as well. Here is the property (I believe) highlighted, which was just purchased last summer by a group of physician investors.

post-2672-1163095734_thumb.jpg

Although further from downtown than I would like, it's also great that there will be another sizable building along Michigan. And talk about visibility. It will be the first building you see as you're entering dowtown from the East. Get that commuter rail tied in!

This sure doesn't seem like a very high visibility site for a cutting edge med school. Things aren't always what they seem and just because MSU might buy some property doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that the med school will sit on it.

This sure doesn't seem like a very high visibility site for a cutting edge med school. Things aren't always what they seem and just because MSU might buy some property doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that the med school will sit on it.

I think it could be called "high visibility"; it IS at a freeway interchange, after all. A good building could have a commanding presence on that site. I wish it was close to DT though. Theoretically, they could plunk the building in the back of the lot, so it fronts College Ave with a sea of parking. That's a worst case scenario, though, so I am probably wrong.

Edited by torgo

The Lansing State Journal is reporting that this is not the definate site of the school.

MSU officials say the site could be the future location of a $70 million building that will house the new medical school, but it's more likely that it will be used for parking and future expansion. They are also looking at a second site closer to partner institutions, such as The Van Andel Research Institute and Spectrum Hospital.

The Lansing State Journal is reporting that this is not the definate site of the school.

MSU officials say the site could be the future location of a $70 million building that will house the new medical school, but it's more likely that it will be used for parking and future expansion. They are also looking at a second site closer to partner institutions, such as The Van Andel Research Institute and Spectrum Hospital.

who knows, maybe they'll put up a parking structure and pedestrian overpass to a building in Midtowne Village. they could lease some spaces to that MOB going in just to the west

If that's the giant red building kitty corner from Kandall College, it would save MSU alot of money and shorten construction time needed to get it ready. Most of all it would put this building to use again after many years of sitting vacant.

Sounds logical to me.

What about the building at 2 Fountain Ave. that's for sale? From a square footage standpoint, it would appear to meet their goals and it's situated halfway between Spectrum and St. Mary's.

What about the building at 2 Fountain Ave. that's for sale? From a square footage standpoint, it would appear to meet their goals and it's situated halfway between Spectrum and St. Mary's.

No parking, and definitely not "iconic".

Parking and future expansion? That doesn't make a lot of sense, unless they're buying all those building between McDonald's and BB.

they could lease some spaces to that MOB going in just to the west

What is an MOB golscorer?

No parking, and definitely not "iconic".

Isn't that open lot across from the Civic right next to the Fountain building in question? Maybe they could build a parking struction on the lot like we have talked about before? The parking structure could be connected to the building at different floors. It might not be Iconic, but it is along Division Ave.

Parking and future expansion? That doesn't make a lot of sense, unless they're buying all those building between McDonald's and BB.

Isn't that large parking lot behind the McDonalds owned by Spectrum or the GVSU building? This MSU property is just across the street (Sinclair) from this large lot. They would own the entire area along I-196 from the GVSU building to College. In time they will probably buy out McD's and the others so they can obtain Michigan Street frontage.

$4.3 Million is a lot to spend for surface parking. I like that they are planning for future expansion though :thumbsup:

Wait, so how big is this building supposed to be? WOODTV's crack investigative team are reporting a 6,000 square foot facility. That ain't much of a med school. Do they mean 60,000 square feet?

As I recall from the plan MSU released the facility was supposed to be around 180,000 sf with lab space and 100,000 without. The lab component will be in the VAI.

6,000 sf is the size of the current building on site.

The Press has shown again the advantage printed/on-line media has over TV news, in telling a more accurate story than in a 20 second sound-bite:

MSU closes in on Michigan Street NE land

"It could be used for the (medical school) building itself, yes, but I think it's a little bit out from (our partners)," Porteous said. "If our (medical school) building was located down the street a bit, this (site) could be important for us parking, or otherwise."

Rappley said if the site was used for parking, it would only be on a temporary basis.

"Property is too valuable all along the street to be used for parking (for too long)," she said....

....A memo from Fred Poston, MSU vice president for finance and operations, to a board committee says the property has a 6,000-square-foot medical building, an old two-story building to be demolished, and a parking lot. Poston said the medical building and parking lot are being leased.

Holmes said the site is well-suited for the medical school's long-term needs if the university ever outgrows research space at the Van Andel Institute.

This is the property I thought it was that was purchased by a group of neurosurgeons about a year ago for about $4 million. Apparently it also includes the old two-story building next to Jade Pig Racing's garage.

Whether it's all these parcels together, I don't know. But this whole chunk is under the same ownership:

post-2672-1163175284_thumb.jpg

I heard from a pretty good source yesterday that this is where the new med school is going, on Michigan between McDonalds and GVSU. He didn't know how much of this space would be used. It makes perfect sense because it's next to the land MSU just bought for "future expansion", and it's all owned by Spectrum, which is giving $55 Million to the med school for their facility. We shall see.

299417814_d8fcca9ebb_o.jpg

We joked that there is going to be a "War of Signs" between MSU and GVSU facing I-196. :lol: