Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Some interesting features to the new plan. It looks like there is a large glass curtain wall facing Southeast toward Crescent Park in the expansion, and they are going to add cable lattice system to the ground floors along Crescent and Division to possibly grow vines on the building (since it's just blank concrete walls). Their request for variance is also based on their belief that there are no other buildings in that area to match up to on the ground floor.

I didn't realize this portion was 8 levels, but it does look a bit smaller from North to South than the original expansion design.

On yet another detour from N. Division being closed, I saw they had placed orange barrels around Crescent Park. I was worried that Crescent Park was going to built on for phase II. I really didn't want to see that unique historic park disappear forever :)

Oops, I guess I should read the WHOLE thread. I see this has been covered. :blush: I haven't been here in a while.

Edited by postscript

Has anyone else noticed the new left-hand turn light at Lafayette and Michigan? It's installed but not yet turned on. This should help the ungodly traffic jams that have been occurring daily now that Michigan is down to one lane westbound (not to mention all the other closings in the area).

I walk past it everyday - I haven't noticed anything yet. If they're working, they're being very sneaky. I have yet to see people or equipment inside the fenced-off area.

Thanks beergeek! I went by yesterday and it looked like they had cut power to the lights in the ramp, and they were in stripping out some of the fixtures. I'd really like to capture shots of the demolition going on.

ryternrezdence posted this comment yesterday in the "Photos of the Day" section:

"The building in background below is the multi-unit apartment house. The Pitsch guys said MSU is trying to buy it for the land but the owner won't sell unless they meet his asking price. :whistling: "

Coincidence that the number on the For Sale sign is in the 517 area code? Perhaps not.....

Nice sparky! I really can't get over how complicated this project looks. I pretty much thought it would be like the Meijer Heart Center and just an upscale medical office building, but apparently not. What are those large orange things in the bottom left of the picture? Anyone? It looks like the building has its own power plant.

Nice sparky! I really can't get over how complicated this project looks. I pretty much thought it would be like the Meijer Heart Center and just an upscale medical office building, but apparently not. What are those large orange things in the bottom left of the picture? Anyone? It looks like the building has its own power plant.

The orange things are the formwork for the rather deep conc. beams that support the vehicular drop off area.

Its the price of progress. :cry: Anyway I think there are suppose to be some kind of garden spaces over the new parking levels arond the tower. Atleast that's what the renderings seem to suggest. Also I think we'll see some street trees along Michigan. That shold make up for the loss of the pine tree.

^It'll be a shame if they have to chop down that white pine tree. It's a nice tree.

I got out there too late to see it coming down, but several hours later I noticed a couple of workers carefully welding the building's access door SHUT.

You're mistaken - it's actually going to be used for emergency egress (hence the 'beautiful' shanty built on the south side of the building).

Rails-to-Trails bailed out on taking the bridge...not sure where it's new home will be (most likely scrap). Originally it was going to be used near Holland.

And here are some pics (it weighed approx. 75,000#):

34e5ec91.jpg

34e5ec91-1.jpg

1bf2cf37.jpg

1bf2cf37-1.jpg

4dc3bfc0.jpg

How's the parking ramp looking beergeek? Anyone? Bueller?

Still looks a lot like Sparky's picture in post #329. A few trucks scattered around, a few "workers" standing around and not doing much of anything... There's some concrete derbis piles you can see on the "A" level but still no real obviously visible progress.