Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Check this out!

http://www.archvision.com/ContentDetails.c...p&LocationID=26

:P

Boy, we've massacred this thread. I am really excited about this project, BTW! Did I mention that :D Just fix the wall please.

When I went and got the Press from our mailbox this afternoon and saw this rendering on the front page, the first thing I noticed was the street level blank wall. I then tried to imagine what everybody here at UP were going to say about it. Just as I had expected... :lol:

The article that ZachariaDaMan posted is a lot different than WoodTV8's report (again obsessing over how many "jobs" will be created). It talks a bit more about the interesting design. Check out this statement:

The pyramid-like chapel on the roof probably will become the hospital's signature architectural element, Breon said.

"It points toward heaven," he said.

:blink: "I think I want to take my child to the part of the hospital that points toward planet earth, thanks."

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/inde...ll=8&thispage=2

Edited by GRDadof3

Here is Jonathan Bailey and Associates' website:

http://www.jonathanbailey.com/

If you go to their portfolio, they have the Devos Children's Hospital on there, and the renderings look totally different. I have an inside source :whistling: sending me better renderings. I should be able to post those tonight.

That is kind of a creepy portfolio for the Children

When you go to Jonathan Bailey's website and choose the Devos Children's Hospital, click on the bottom right box in the slide show and check out the rendering there. I wish I could post it here, but check out the sloped roof, the "pyramid" section up the front, and the weird "pilons" sticking out at the bottom onto the sidewalk :blink: I kinda like that rendering. But then look at the model that WoodTV8 showed. It looks like it has gone through many tranformations, all without nobody here knowing.

The pyramid-like chapel on the roof probably will become the hospital's signature architectural element, Breon said.

"It points toward heaven," he said.

Wow, that statement could be taken so many different (read:bad) ways... How much you want to bet that Spectrum's PR department is swirling around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off :P

These computer renderings are the worst, but the building kinda looks like it may have been pulled from an office park in Southfield. And yah, what is up with that Vandenberg Center wall? Dont me to be a downer.

Likewise, I'm not terribly impressed. The four story retaining wall is unexcusable. But, even with that aside, the building itself lacks a "tower" feel. Rather, it is an enormous blueish-grey mass with a spike growing out of the top. I'm hoping for some design changes. They've still got time.

Edited by GRCentro

Likewise, I'm not terribly impressed. The four story retaining wall is unexcusable. But, even with that aside, the building itself lacks a "tower" feel. Rather, it is an enormous blueish-grey mass with a spike growing out of the top. I'm hoping for some design changes. They've still got time.

Check out the architect's website posted earlier GRCentro^^^they're much better.

i can't stand their website. It's so annoying. I just want the pictures to stay displayed. not disappear as soon as they fully appear. and whats with all the motion and clicking of blocks, the majority of which don't seem to do anything. grrrr... or maybe its just me.

Yes, that website is really stupid and irritating. Here are the renderings from that page:

This must be the current design...complete with that lovely wall :sick: How tall is that thing? 30 feet? 40?

devos_childrens5.jpg

what the **** is this supposed to be? :huh:

devos_childrens4.jpg

And then theres this goofy looking thing :o

devos_childrens3.jpg

Sorry they're not bigger. You gotta work with what you have...

Edited by andy112129

Yes, that website is really stupid and irritating. Here are the renderings from that page:

This must be the current design...complete with that lovely wall :sick: How tall is that thing? 30 feet? 40?

devos_childrens5.jpg

It looks like the guy walking on the street is about to hit his head on the sky walk.

That Jonathan Bailey website has to be one of the most poorly designed websites I have ever encountered, in terms of usability. It's like the designer wanted to challenge the user to actually find any content. What's with that main menu? It's like one of those trick programs that moves a button you want to click away from your mouse. Stupid!

Anyway, I like the renderings that were released at the press conference yesterday, with the exception of the wall next to the street. Hopefully they just haven't figured out yet how to mold the building into the hill. But I think there is potential for this to be another signature building for downtown GR. In a couple of years, with the new Mariott, the VA Institute expansion, the Children's Hospital, the art museum, and hopefully RiverHouse (not to mention the already completed convention center), downtown GR is going to be a very interesting place architecturally.

I agree that the website is horrible. I think creativity is great but can never get in the way of functionality. If I were looking for an architect, I wouldn't use him based on his site. His building may look cool, but you would be able to figure out how to get in it! :) Maybe the wall has something to do with that....

All kidding aside, I don't like the wall, but that is a huge hill and it looks like the ambulances need to pull out of somewhere for the kids ER. How do you think the design could be better in that whole area..it looks like the buildings across the street will have walls, too. With all the skywalks, it's as if the street has nothing to with the traffic flow of people. (Park in a garage and walk thru corridors)

Doesn't get people out into the city well at all.

How could this be improved or is it pointless up on the hill?

Welcome hombre_de_ciudad! (Big Man on Campus?) Glad to see you finally broke your silence :D That website stinks to the highest order. Stop moving, you d**n icons! All I would like to know is "Would the real Children's Hospital please step forward and show yourself!"

And mgreven, you're right that the garage probably has to be in that location, but even the current parking garage on that corner has openings that you can see through. Maybe others have ideas (or are actual designers) who could shed some light on the latest design techniques used in these situations, and share them with the city?

Edited by GRDadof3

Welcome hombre_de_ciudad! (Big Man on Campus?) Glad to see you finally broke your silence :D That website stinks to the highest order. Stop moving, you d**n icons! All I would like to know is "Would the real Children's Hospital please step forward and show yourself!"

And mgreven, you're right that the garage probably has to be in that location, but even the current parking garage on that corner has openings that you can see through. Maybe others have ideas (or are actual designers) who could shed some light on the latest design techniques used in these situations, and share them with the city?

Thanks for the welcome! :) As you apparently noticed I've been lurking around here for a while. Funny it took a poorly designed web site to prompt me to pipe up! Actually my nik is a loose translation for "city guy" which was already taken.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that in order to make maximum use of the property on that corner some sort of wall is necessary to bring the land up to grade. But like others have mentioned, I sure hope they include windows or something to avoid Michigan St. looking like Monroe does across from the convention center.

• 2 weeks later...

An article in the GRBJ says that the parking ramp at this corner will come down fairly soon, to make way for a 2006 groundbreaking for the Children's Hospital. Sounds like this is sooner than I thought. That whole area is going to look like a strip-mining operation for awhile :P

SO they are taking down the ramp at the corner of Michigan and Bostwick? Hmmm I'm surprised they didnt incorporate a parking ramp into that giant wall. At least then it would seem somewhat functional. Looking at it again, it looks like it IS a parking ramp, just not an open one...

Edited by snoogit