Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Anybody have a rendering of what the footprint of this building is going to be when the addition is complete? Some odd footings going in here:

471528018_ab11a9574e_b.jpg

Wow, that's cool to see sparky! That is actually where the new 4 story concave glass wall will go. The top two floors of this area will be accessed by the front lobby off of Bostwick, and will contain a new two-story cafeteria with a curved glass wall facing the park. Below that will contain a library with a glass wall (same wall extended below the cafeteria). You can see images of it HERE (about 3:30 into the video). It will be pretty impressive from the park (I'm imagining).

Wow, that's cool to see sparky! That is actually where the new 4 story concave glass wall will go. The top two floors of this area will be accessed by the front lobby off of Bostwick, and will contain a new two-story cafeteria with a curved glass wall facing the park. Below that will contain a library with a glass wall (same wall extended below the cafeteria). You can see images of it HERE (about 3:30 into the video). It will be pretty impressive from the park (I'm imagining).

Wow - that makes sense. I presume that's 4 stories from the Bostwick street level? Downloading the video now...

sparky05, if that video doesn't help, these may help (I forgot that they were in the planning commission agenda that we all had trouble loading from last Fall :blush: )

Here's the site plan showing the curved wall (that interestingly now looks to mimic Crescent coming down the other side, nice touch!)

472367432_f633399968_o.jpg

Here's the Bostwick (East) Elevation.

472367436_103dbbd48a_o.jpg

And how the spaces appear to be sectioned off. The two story cafeteria connects to the Bostwick lobby level. I'm not sure what the upper glass wall is, except I'm guessing it's some sort of atrium area at the end of the upper hall connecting the two phases:

472375208_fcaa82f081_o.jpg

South elevation:

472367444_098e030ca5.jpg

Full Size

Phase II definitely seems to be the better part of this whole design, with several balconies and a lot more glass areas overlooking downtown. West elevation:

472367446_8f1d5b6d4f_o.jpg

472367448_42e6a14c14_o.jpg

North elevation:

472367442_d08dca5c1f.jpg

Full Size

And a clip from your picture of the sign:

471441108_a8dc1cf56e_o.jpg

This place is going to look incredible.

Indeed it is going to look awesome. I'd like to see VAI put a nice piece of public art in Crescent Park. It would be a great complement to the building.

Also, I hope the city spends some money on the park itself. It is one of the coolest pocket parks we have and with the skyline expanding will be one of the best vantage points to Grand Rapids 2.0. ;)

Joe

GRDad - that's exactly what I was looking for. One question - the area where they have the retaining wall right now, where those footings have been poured - will the park be graded to that level, or is there going to be a base to that glass wall that they're going to backfill? I see some steps there... I wish there was a better rendering of that side from a bit of a higher angle...

GRDad - that's exactly what I was looking for. One question - the area where they have the retaining wall right now, where those footings have been poured - will the park be graded to that level, or is there going to be a base to that glass wall that they're going to backfill? I see some steps there... I wish there was a better rendering of that side from a bit of a higher angle...

No, it's too hard to tell. If you go back to this rendering, it appears to be sort of a "terraced effect" where the park meets the new building.

320519952_1b80a8bc87.jpg

They're pouring concrete there today:

http://vai.oxblue.com/vari/

My big question is how are they going to number the floors? The main entrance is off of Bostwick, so is that floor #1? But then you have the new expansion with floors below the main lobby, what number will those be (negative numbers)? Or will you walk in off Bostwick and be on the 4th of 5th floor? That will be fun giving people directions. :wacko:"No, not this floor 1, the other floor 1" :lol:

My big question is how are they going to number the floors? The main entrance is off of Bostwick, so is that floor #1? But then you have the new expansion with floors below the main lobby, what number will those be (negative numbers)? Or will you walk in off Bostwick and be on the 4th of 5th floor? That will be fun giving people directions. :wacko:"No, not this floor 1, the other floor 1" :lol:

Could be as simple as: A - B - C

It was mainly tongue in cheek, but I've taken classes in buildings with multiple "main floors" and it's irritating. Especially when you're new to the building, on an upper floor, and trying to get back down to the correct "lobby" where you came in. I'm not the only one who feels that way. That's why elevators usually have a STAR next to the main lobby floor if it's not the 1st floor.

Just sayin.

In other VAI news, here is an article about the air-handling systems in the VARI:

http://www.mlive.com/mbusinessreview/west/...xml&coll=12

Indeed it is going to look awesome. I'd like to see VAI put a nice piece of public art in Crescent Park. It would be a great complement to the building.

Also, I hope the city spends some money on the park itself. It is one of the coolest pocket parks we have and with the skyline expanding will be one of the best vantage points to Grand Rapids 2.0. ;)

Joe

Who is "in charge" of public art? I agree with Joe that a cool piece should go in here.

I do believe that VAI is taking over the care of the park - nice gesture and gives them assurance that it will be kept up.

Best Vantage Point - Yep. For years, back in my 80s college days, me and the buds would watch the fireworks and drain the beers from its grassy knoll.

Nice signage. :)

Sorry to ask a question that has been posted a million times on this forum but what is the finish date on Phase II? I remember Phase I taking *forever*. But they also had to demo a big building and the hill probably made it a pain in the butt. I remember the four concrete columns sticking out for a long time before they added glass, etc.

Will this phase seem faster since they are starting on semi-flat land?

Joe