Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I love the rendering o Proposal 3, does anyone know why it was not chosen? Does it still have any chance?

1) Maybe it wasn't picked because of costs, or maybe taste of those deciding. However, cost may not be an issue, i.e., bridge and spire.

2) I would say the design that we've seen here for a while is going to be it.

I wonder how far up the faux fieldstone is going.... Interesting choice.

It goes all the way up in some areas, but mainly as an accent. I don't know what the backside will look like, but I'm guessing the big bulk of it won't go much higher, and then small bands of it on the vertical sections:

LHCPRendering.jpg

Wow, I had no idea the substrate was so sandy downtown! Makes sense, I suppose, but for some reason I had thought it was all clay throughout the interior of the state??

I live 3 miles from downtown. My yard (and everyone's yard on my block) is entirely sand.

There's also a huge sand/gravel mine up in Plainfield Twp.

I think there's a lot of sand in this area...not just down by the river.

Edited by suydam

Wow, I had no idea the substrate was so sandy downtown! Makes sense, I suppose, but for some reason I had thought it was all clay throughout the interior of the state??

I have TONS of sand under my yard. Want some? :) I can hardly keep water on it. I'm like suydam, about 3.5 miles from downtown (as the crow flies).

It seems like the only place in the metro area where you'll find a lot of clay is in the low-lying areas around Hudsonville, Jenison, Georgetown Twp, and areas in Kentwood.

I have TONS of sand under my yard. Want some? :) I can hardly keep water on it. I'm like suydam, about 3.5 miles from downtown (as the crow flies).

It seems like the only place in the metro area where you'll find a lot of clay is in the low-lying areas around Hudsonville, Jenison, Georgetown Twp, and areas in Kentwood.

Our experience in Ada is tons of clay.

http://www.gis.iwr.msu.edu/net21/ssurgo/kent/kent.html -- soils map

I was just browsing the history of this topic, and since it has been going quite a while, and I've not been on UP for that long, I found an interesting picture and had a question.

GrandRapidsApril06073.jpg

Where does that thing go? Is it a functioning tunnel to the main hospital? Or will it serve some other purpose?

I was just browsing the history of this topic, and since it has been going quite a while, and I've not been on UP for that long, I found an interesting picture and had a question.

Where does that thing go? Is it a functioning tunnel to the main hospital? Or will it serve some other purpose?

As sparky noted, yes it will be a functioning tunnel (read: for human travel) between the Lemmen Holton Cancer Center and the main hospital. Another interesting side note is that it was formed using a chemical reaction that turns sand into sandstone, the first of its kind in the U.S. (I believe), but used in Germany a lot.

I can't see anybody except maintenance personnel going all the way down to use the tunnel unless the giant parking ramp across the street has levels that deep.

Wow, that's incredible that we were just discussing the tunnel in the other health hill thread. :o