Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I'ze confused. I wonder what the South camera will show?

I'd like to see a construction cam facing the children's hospital please, thanks. :)

My guess is that it'll be a view from somewhere akin to the GRCC parking ramp. A profile shot of phase II, if you will.

Hey all, I'm stuck in Atlanta Airport. Got any suggestions to kill a few hours?

My guess is that it'll be a view from somewhere akin to the GRCC parking ramp. A profile shot of phase II, if you will.

Hey all, I'm stuck in Atlanta Airport. Got any suggestions to kill a few hours?

Yes, peruse all your photos of floorplans and construction sites on your laptop, especially if you have ones of the Ford Airport construction site. Make sure you do it in full view of airport security. :rofl: Hours of fun.

As sparky noted, yes it will be a functioning tunnel (read: for human travel) between the Lemmen Holton Cancer Center and the main hospital. Another interesting side note is that it was formed using a chemical reaction that turns sand into sandstone, the first of its kind in the U.S. (I believe), but used in Germany a lot.

The chemical grouting isn't exactly new in the US, but many aspects of this particular project are unique and never used anywhere. Typically the grout pipes are installed vertically and the grout is injected from the bottom towards the top of each pipe and it is usually for veins of sand or loose soils. However, this project had to use horizontal grout pipes and the area was entirely composed of very loose sand. Also, they relied primarily on a fully automated laser guidance system to provide excavation references in lieu of the standard optical equipment - it was the first time Kiewit had ever excavated and grouted a NATM tunnel in this manner. This short little tunnel was one of the highlighted projects at the international underground construction convention this year for these reasons.

Edited by Captain_Planet

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, over 3 weeks without a post! At any rate, on my walk past today I noticed they're pouring concrete in there and to my untrained eye, it looks like where a tower crane might go.

The cancer center is really taking shape, too - anybody have pictures of that? Brickwork looks pretty much done from both the Michigan St side as well as the Ford, and most of the windows are up.

Wow, I had no idea the substrate was so sandy downtown! Makes sense, I suppose, but for some reason I had thought it was all clay throughout the interior of the state??

I remember seeing a very old picture of Grand Rapids showing the hill behind the city. I was surprised bacause it looked just like a sand dune! There were parts of the hill that was just exposed sand with trees just on the top where it was not so steep.

Wish I could find that picture...I think its in some book at the Library.

I remember seeing a very old picture of Grand Rapids showing the hill behind the city. I was surprised bacause it looked just like a sand dune! There were parts of the hill that was just exposed sand with trees just on the top where it was not so steep.

Wish I could find that picture...I think its in some book at the Library.

They are sand dunes, at least in part. Much of Grand Rapids is built on sandy soil. I remember when my parents tried to start their garden, my Dad had to build up the soil for years with grass clippings, leaves, etc.

When the GRCC buildings to the east of the Main Building were being built in the 1970s, and the hill was opened up for the excavation, I remember being struck at seeing what looked like yellow beach sand.

This may be one reason why there are relatively fewer brick homes in GR -- there wasn't a lot of local clay deposits (and wood was relatively cheap).

I was walking up michigan today and was thwarted by the construction, so I decided to try again tomorrow from the south. I'll post pics then...

I was able to get these sparky. It is pretty difficult to get in that area, even by foot:

965751758_fdfa2af7ff_b.jpg

964973175_93811dcea4_b.jpg

964973295_111201f15d_b.jpg

I noticed on the backside of Lemmen Holton that the stone color doesn't match up???

You can't really see into the pit from Bostwick, but if there is a tower crane going up soon, I think this tall guy will do the job. The thing stretches the entire length of the construction site:

964973413_44fd993c61_b.jpg

I noticed on the backside of Lemmen Holton that the stone color doesn't match up???

Once the stone is washed it will be the same color; until then it will appear lighter.

You can't really see into the pit from Bostwick, but if there is a tower crane going up soon, I think this tall guy will do the job. The thing stretches the entire length of the construction site:

964973413_44fd993c61_b.jpg

I believe that's just a baby crawler - 110 ton max...GRC doesn't own a crane that can erect a decent sized tower. They'll need a 300 ton w/ extension for a tower crane.

Once the stone is washed it will be the same color; until then it will appear lighter.

I believe that's just a baby crawler - 110 ton max...GRC doesn't own a crane that can erect a decent sized tower. They'll need a 300 ton w/ extension for a tower crane.

Thanks for the clarification Captain_Planet! It looks a lot bigger than a baby. :blink:

I was watching Lansing news and they ran a promotional VAI commercial. At first, I thought it was an out of state facility then I started seeing night time shots of downtown and was floored. I couldn't have been more happier to see that. Anyone see these advertisements?

BTW, I don't remember where I read it, but theres supposed to be a new Grand Rapids commercial touting all the good stuff happening around the city.

Edited by Rizzo

It is big.

968156400_3722a6aba1_b.jpg

Some pans (clickable for larger images):

967286531_0885ea277d.jpg

967275325_40190badfe.jpg

Sparky-My guess is that crane is Grand River Constructions and they will use it for the concrete. The cost for set up on a crawler crane is way to expensive to come in to just set the tower crane. It looks like it is there for the long haul.

i drive past all this on the express way every day and i noticed they began putting up the other half of the buildings flagstone on the back (facing the expressway). This is great progress however it is a very distinct different shade of flagstone then the already set half of the building, looks kind of goofy. Does anyone know if there is gonna be some sealer on there to match up the colors or does it change with time?

It was noted in another topic that the stone will match once they are finished with the application and cleaning of the stone.

Joe

i drive past all this on the express way every day and i noticed they began putting up the other half of the buildings flagstone on the back (facing the expressway). This is great progress however it is a very distinct different shade of flagstone then the already set half of the building, looks kind of goofy. Does anyone know if there is gonna be some sealer on there to match up the colors or does it change with time?