joeDowntown

Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

I was on the Ford around lunch today and noticed that there are two HUGE banners now hanging off of the parking ramp: I wonder if this is a sign that something is about to begin again on this project... :dontknow:

Over a week and no updates. How embarrassing. :blush:

Here are the new signs that someone mentioned a while back. They look HUGE from I-196:

1361030088_d3bc7b28de_b.jpg

Here's the new Division rebuild going on, and the Michigan Street bridge half finished:

1360140737_74c1367c2a_b.jpg

The details aren't bad on the bridge. Could have been a lot worse. The lettering and font leave much to be desired. -_-

1361028810_f51ede2422_b.jpg

1360140737_74c1367c2a_b.jpg

The details aren't bad on the bridge. Could have been a lot worse. The lettering and font leave much to be desired. -_-

1361028810_f51ede2422_b.jpg

The new Michigan St. overpass is pretty fancy looking. I'm curious about the retaining wall on the west side of Division Ave though. Is that new?

A lot of below grade work has been completed in a month's time:

1367050363_0c279535d4_b.jpg

1367053077_25b5e98085_b.jpg

Are they ever going to finish skinning the exterior of the Cancer Center?

1367950572_b71e95a330_b.jpg

Since they won't let the class touch the AV equipment anymore, here are some actual on-the-scene photos from the park:

1367940758_caad4387a6_b.jpg

Like the first phase, this thing will be slow to watch go up:

1367943562_aeb11a716d_b.jpg

Anyone know if they are going to have two tower cranes on this project? It seems like the footprint is too large for the reach of one crane???

The more I look at the cancer center the more I would have prefered to see a smooth Indiana limestone. The real stuff would be very expensive, and I bet they don't make a cultured stone like that.

The DCH is moving along nicely :)

Edited by mpchicago

Since they won't let the class touch the AV equipment anymore, here are some actual on-the-scene photos from the park:

:P:lol::rofl:

Funny, I don't remember any tower cranes durring the first phase construction.

Funny, I don't remember any tower cranes durring the first phase construction.

:P

I thought someone mentioned here a while back that there would be a tower crane. Phase II is quite a bit taller than Phase I. Maybe mobile cranes aren't tall enough or have enough dexterity. :dontknow:

I thought someone mentioned here a while back that there would be a tower crane. Phase II is quite a bit taller than Phase I. Maybe mobile cranes aren't tall enough or have enough dexterity. :dontknow:

They are assembling the tower crane right now.

That was me. There is one coming but it seams to have been delayed. Not sure if there will be two though.

It's RED!

Kind of a different foundation for this one:

1402646627_a3993077bd.jpg

I noticed that too. I think it's a "mobile tower crane" (not anchored to a foundation)? Maybe "mobile" is not the right word. Look at those weights around its ankles. Looks more like the crane working on the Commerce parking ramp.

In fact, maybe it is a Potain crane:

PotainMDT178TowerCraneRED.jpg

It looks like Erickson went out and bought their own tower crane to rent out. The big "E" on the side looks the Erickson "E". It also looks bright and shiny new. Maybe we will have our own crane in town to use.

In fact, maybe it is a Potain crane:

Yup!

It looks like Erickson went out and bought their own tower crane to rent out. The big "E" on the side looks the Erickson "E". It also looks bright and shiny new. Maybe we will have our own crane in town to use.

And yes again.

Y'all are good!

Yup!

And yes again.

Y'all are good!

Pretty much dumb luck CP (on my part). :)

Almost perfect weather for a crane raisin! (or to photograph it)

1408166283_e098b4f128_b.jpg

1409048010_1e0abc7817_b.jpg

1408280415_68e374eac3_b.jpg

What $700 Million in construction gets you. If anyone missed it, the Westbound side of the bridge is finished and they have switched to the Eastbound side.

1408173203_8c1c3fe3e1_b.jpg

1408171199_a5a20f586f_b.jpg

1408175409_9726e52612_b.jpg

I saw them assembling this on my way to work this morning and I got excited because I thought it was going up at the site of MSU's Human Medicine building. This is good too, but I really want MSU to get started on their building!

Has an official MSU building design been shown at all yet?

No, so it wouldn't really make sense to see a tower crane there yet. I'm just impatient and don't think well at 8am.

Dun dun da da! Tower crane is HERE! The little base section is bolted (or whatever they do) to a concrete slab in the NW corner of the site. Here comes vertical-ness! :yahoo:

Dun dun da da! Tower crane is HERE! The little base section is bolted (or whatever they do) to a concrete slab in the NW corner of the site. Here comes vertical-ness! :yahoo:

Thanks for the heads up MM! I'll have to swing by the site later today.