Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Yes to both. The parking ramp will have MSU's new medical bldg on top and the Towers will be replaced with a new medical bldg as well.

Thanks for the photos.

Remind me, are they going to place another tower on top of that parking ramp?

And, will a building go where the Towers Building is located?

the scale of those new buildings in relationship to the old Towers Building is crazy, its as if they are 21st century kids who grew up eating fast food

I worked in the Towers Building back in the day. Man, what a dump. They can't tear that thing down fast enough for me. There were always stories that it suffered from sick building syndrome. I believe it. I always felt a bit grippy after a long day of work.

the scale of those new buildings in relationship to the old Towers Building is crazy, its as if they are 21st century kids who grew up eating fast food

Haha! Nice analogy. I've noticed that too, and the new buildings aren't that many more floors than the old Towers Building (if any).

Yes to both. The parking ramp will have MSU's new medical bldg on top and the Towers will be replaced with a new medical bldg as well.

Wow, so MSU is only taking one of those buildings? I thought those were all MSU, except the new LH. I'll have to go back on this thread to bring myself up to speed on all this. Amazing stuff going on up there. Between these buildings, phase II of VAI and the new DeVos Children's, someone should call an architect/commercial design magazine so they can highlight these awesome buildings.

Wow, so MSU is only taking one of those buildings? I thought those were all MSU, except the new LH. I'll have to go back on this thread to bring myself up to speed on all this. Amazing stuff going on up there. Between these buildings, phase II of VAI and the new DeVos Children's, someone should call an architect/commercial design magazine so they can highlight these awesome buildings.

I know what you mean. There is so much going on at Medical Mile, its difficult to get one's head around it.

The current Towers tenants will take over one of the new towers being built (the one under construction). The as yet to be built tower where the current Towers building is located will have part of it be a hotel, and the rest yet to be named tenants.

The whole cadre of development on the hill HAS been covered in numerous publications, including the NY Times (op ed done by a local writer). My hope is that we start hearing more news about spinoff upstarts. So far it has just been the big families and their investments (not that is necessarily bad, but it's only a starting point IMO).

The current Towers tenants will take over one of the new towers being built (the one under construction). The as yet to be built tower where the current Towers building is located will have part of it be a hotel, and the rest yet to be named tenants.

The whole cadre of development on the hill HAS been covered in numerous publications, including the NY Times (op ed done by a local writer). My hope is that we start hearing more news about spinoff upstarts. So far it has just been the big families and their investments (not that is necessarily bad, but it's only a starting point IMO).

Actually, the top 3 floors of Tower 25 (the one under construction) will be fit out for a hotel. Tower 35 (the one to be built roughly where the current Towers Building sits) will be primarily leased by Spectrum and will contain offices and some surgery suites. And to my knowledge every square foot of the entire RDV/Christman property has been leased/bought. :alc:

Actually, the top 3 floors of Tower 25 (the one under construction) will be fit out for a hotel. Tower 35 (the one to be built roughly where the current Towers Building sits) will be primarily leased by Spectrum and will contain offices and some surgery suites. And to my knowledge every square foot of the entire RDV/Christman property has been leased/bought. :alc:

Oops. Thanks CP. Even I'm getting my towers mixed up now. So are all the current Towers tenants going to fit in the lower portion of Tower 25?

Oops. Thanks CP. Even I'm getting my towers mixed up now. So are all the current Towers tenants going to fit in the lower portion of Tower 25?

Not really...it gets a little messy so to abbreviate lets use some acronyms: T25 (Tower 25 currently under construction), T35 (Tower 35 future construction), TB (existing Towers Building), BW (Butterworth Hospital), LHCP (Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion currently under construction).

Okay, here it goes (picture Jim Carrey when he gets pulled over by the cop in Liar Liar)....

Some TB tenants are moving into T25, several BW occupants will move into the LHCP which will provide space for current TB tenants to relocate to BW, some TB tenants will move directly into the LHCP, and then there will be another minor shuffle when T35 is completed. Clear as mud?

Aren't they going to redo that Lutheran School? I thought I saw a Design Plus rendering at one time.

Joe

Plans are moving forward. The school has moved off site - currently at the New Community church building on Dean Lake Ave. - plan is for two years at that site. Future location to be determined, but as of now it will not be back at the church on Michigan. Plan is for a two story Ministry Center. Will have a parking lot where the VAI crane is currently standing.

Tentative schedule is for demolition of the old school in February, new construction in March.

Somewhere there is a thread for the church/school building. I expect that thread will be resurrected once there is some action on the site.

Fitz

Thanks for the info Fitz! Does the addition still look like the Design Plus rendering we have seen?

Joe

Plans are moving forward. The school has moved off site - currently at the New Community church building on Dean Lake Ave. - plan is for two years at that site. Future location to be determined, but as of now it will not be back at the church on Michigan. Plan is for a two story Ministry Center. Will have a parking lot where the VAI crane is currently standing.

Tentative schedule is for demolition of the old school in February, new construction in March.

Somewhere there is a thread for the church/school building. I expect that thread will be resurrected once there is some action on the site.

Fitz

Thanks for the info Fitz! Does the addition still look like the Design Plus rendering we have seen?

Joe

It looks pretty much the same on the exterior. The earlier drawings you saw probably had the building going all the way to the south end of the property, basically sharing a wall with VAI. The new design is scaled back without the school, hence the parking lot on the south side. South wall in the new plan will basically be where the south wall of the current building is.

Fitz

there's a tower crane base standing along bostwick. I didn't see any additional crane sections, but hopefully soon we'll have another crane gracing our skyline.

Between 1:00 and 5:00 today they added three sections to the tower crane. They were also starting to assemble a large crane on a truck - to add the higher sections?

Fitz

Between 1:00 and 5:00 today they added three sections to the tower crane. They were also starting to assemble a large crane on a truck - to add the higher sections?

Fitz

Yes, they're adding a luffing jib to the hydraulic crane. They were able to unload the trucks and get some mast in the air during regular hours. Then they can keep a skeleton crew on for a little OT to put the luffer on which will let them rock and roll first thing in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow morning the MSU Board of Trustees meets to approve an "authorization to proceed" on the new Secchia Center. I assume this is to approve the new increased price tag on the med school. Let's HOPE they have the new designs tomorrow.

Woohoo, beat the MSM* on this one! :)

<a href="http://www.newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/3223/content.htm" target="_blank">http://www.newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/3223/content.htm</a>

*Main-stream media

In similar news, MSU's College of Human Medicine saw a 47.2% increase in enrollment this Fall:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2007/10/17/med

Tomorrow morning the MSU Board of Trustees meets to approve an "authorization to proceed" on the new Secchia Center. I assume this is to approve the new increased price tag on the med school. Let's HOPE they have the new designs tomorrow.

Woohoo, beat the MSM* on this one! :)

<a href="http://www.newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/3223/content.htm" target="_blank">http://www.newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/3223/content.htm</a>

*Main-stream media

In similar news, MSU's College of Human Medicine saw a 47.2% increase in enrollment this Fall:

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/ipb_seo.php?url=http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2007/10/17/med' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/www_insidehighered_com');">http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2007/10/17/med</a>

Looks like we will see renderings...

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7269409

Edited by Yankee Fan

I was just going to post it YankeeFan. :)

Much better. Look at how much better the parking levels look. Plus, I like that the big fat "S" is gone. :) It would have been nice to have a bit more glass, but that doesn't seem to be the trend in medical teaching buildings.

1758429535_c6898db982_o.jpg

Here's what it looked like before (which I understand was more of a "placeholder" than a real plan):

1758429905_dc939d5c5a_o.jpg

It's going to look massive on that hillside. Construction to begin in the Spring.

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2007/10/mich...chool_gets.html