Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I'm posting this in this thread because I assume it is related to all the medical development on the hill, but has anyone else noticed these massive power transformers and power lines running across I-196 lately? I assume the street work on Michigan Street near McDonald's is related? I can't imagine living on this street with the new high-voltage transmission lines running down it.

2066946772_9977095522_b.jpg

2066148707_e4c7fc6e9e_b.jpg

2066951310_9ef9ac6a54_b.jpg

This last photo is the power sub-station at the Northern end of the new lines, down in the hollow near Gilson Graphics.

2066153477_89d37563cb_b.jpg

I'm posting this in this thread because I assume it is related to all the medical development on the hill, but has anyone else noticed these massive power transformers and power lines running across I-196 lately? I assume the street work on Michigan Street near McDonald's is related? I can't imagine living on this street with the new high-voltage transmission lines running down it.

I saw those, they look absolutely terrible. It's a disgrace consumer's is putting that there. It can't be hidden any better?

Noticed it all this past weekend. Takes lots of juice to run all those facilities and several are not even built & on-line yet. I've spent some time the past few months in medical facilities - Blodgett & Butterworth and there's no such thing as turning lights off when rooms are empty. Parking ramps fully lit 24/7 (That goes for all of them in town :( ) If they'd like some suggestions on how to reduce energy consumption.....................

High Voltage line = brain cancer. I sure as heck would not want to live in any of the houses near the lines or the transformers unless I wanted to be one of Health Hill's patients in years to come. :sick:

Yeah, you would think that would kind of kill your property value. That's probably why they don't put massive transformers next to rich people's houses, ehh? You'd like to think they'd get reimbursed somehow for that decrease, and the increased risk of brain cancer but I doubt it.

Yeah, you would think that would kind of kill your property value. That's probably why they don't put massive transformers next to rich people's houses, ehh? You'd like to think they'd get reimbursed somehow for that decrease, and the increased risk of brain cancer but I doubt it.

I'm guessing anyone willing to live next to an interstate isn't exactly concerned about these types of things....

I'm guessing anyone willing to live next to an interstate isn't exactly concerned about these types of things....

I (willingly) live next to I-196, very close to where they put those lines up (but not under them thankfully). They do concern me, but not for cancer reasons. I think they look really bad, when will we get to the day when all new lines are put underground?

Only some of the houses on Sinclair are next to the highway. The majority are down the hill. But I'm guessing there were hearings and opportunities for residents to sound off on the new power lines. I just don't remember reading anything about it (or maybe it didn't catch my attention).

Anyway, it looks like they are wrapping up work on the Michigan St. bridge, just pouring the last portion of sidewalk today:

2074222468_176d8e2a60_b.jpg

And the new parking ramp under the Michigan St development is now up and running, and storing cars.

I (willingly) live next to I-196, very close to where they put those lines up (but not under them thankfully). They do concern me, but not for cancer reasons. I think they look really bad, when will we get to the day when all new lines are put underground?

We need the city to get its budget in generous surplus mode before even thinking about burying power lines. That won't happen until the city finds a way ween itself from its dependence on the rest of the state or when the state's economy gets back on its feet and prospers again.

We need the city to get its budget in generous surplus mode before even thinking about burying power lines. That won't happen until the city finds a way ween itself from its dependence on the rest of the state or when the state's economy gets back on its feet and prospers again.

True, but I thought consumers pays for this kind of work since they're in the business of providing electricity?

I took another look at it today on the way by and I originally didn't realize how far north that new substation & lines run...that's definitely not cool.

Anyway, it looks like they are wrapping up work on the Michigan St. bridge, just pouring the last portion of sidewalk today:

And the new parking ramp under the Michigan St development is now up and running, and storing cars.

Word on the street is that the south lanes of Michigan Street will be open on Tuesday or Wednesday next week (pending decent weather).

I took another look at it today on the way by and I originally didn't realize how far north that new substation & lines run...that's definitely not cool.

Did you drive on College Ave? The new lines go to another substation right near the railroad tracks that cross underneath College. The new steal poles really are noticible if you look at the right time.

Does anyone else wish they would have combined the four buildings into one or two taller buildings? This would allow them much more room for future expansion and give them a stronger presence in the area. Maybe it wasn't practical for the uses of the buildings or it wasn't cost effective.

MSU gets State approval to move Medical School to Grand Rapids

"The legislature's joint capital outlay committee approved a $90 million funding package for relocating the MSU College of Human Medicine to Grand Rapids."

Article from Wood TV8 site

Money OKd for MSU Med School in GR

Sheesh! Another step? :)

Here's the controlled mayhem on a sunny winter's day, looking West:

2089746910_9eee6027ef_o.jpg

Looking East. It will be cool if we one day see a wall of buildings down that left (North) side of Michigan all the way to College.

2089747920_e2166c0c00_b.jpg

Another angle:

2088905807_8593de13f8_b.jpg

With VAI Crane:

2089695000_2a7c36b581_b.jpg

Say I am working on the Wikipedia article for the Grand Rapids Medical Corridor. I have a simple request. On the article I have not put a section for the new office buildings yet. I am waiting on some more info ie, name and some sources. In anycase the major issue with the article is that thier is only one picture on it. I would love to use some of these pics on the article. If anybody is willing to help the article out let me know. BTW feel free to check out the article and any edits of it to make it better would be awesome. In anycase I love this post here I had to reread some of it but most was new to me. In anycase I cant wait for next year when we get see another tower crane operating on sechia center.