Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Sorry, I meant my friend works at the Barcelona Supercomputer Center, not the Workstage building. :)

Joe

The Spectrum IT that is pictured is next to the bunker. The bunker has the main computer in it and was designed to with stand hurricane force winds, trucks smashing into the building and that type pf stuff. For a concrete bunker it is pretty impressive.

Not that I know of. I don't think you can see this site very well from the highway, but I'm not sure. Maybe when the steel gets up a bit higher than the church?

I think he was referring to LHCP (?) which is quite visible from the highway. I don't know the answer to that question; the sign I saw faced Michigan over the roundabout/patient drop-off.

2258113473_b3b0d99f2a.jpg

Edited by MuskeMI

I think he was referring to LHCP (?) which is quite visible from the highway. I don't know the answer to that question; the sign I saw faced Michigan over the roundabout/patient drop-off.

2258113473_b3b0d99f2a.jpg

Oh sorry. Yes, there is a sign on LHCP that faces the highway. It's been up for about a month I believe:

2201637461_c33f003fd3_b.jpg

More shuttle parking for Spectrum Health? I hear they have negotiated a lease for the old Spectrum Industries plant site on Plymouth Ave NE, for a future park-n-ride shuttle service. I assume the plant will be torn down. Hmmm, that plant sits right next to the railroad tracks too. :whistling:

2264794679_1a2019b204_o.jpg

Wow, if my math is correct, this 7+/- acre site could potentially provide enough parking for about 1000 vehicles (?)

Spectrum also has another park-n-ride lot around the corner off of Michigan.

I believe this post will shed some light on what he's hinting at:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/DandW-bu...ail#entry921888

Exactly fotoman. :) I think having more and more park-n-ride shuttles outside of the core is a great way to gauge the possible success of a light rail system into downtown. I hope we see more like this.

They've already started demolition of the plant to make way for the parking lot. Wow, that was fast.

Wow, that WAS fast. I always thought that place was kind of an eyesore. But, I'm not sure a sea of cars and/or black asphault will be that much more pleasing.

Edited by fotoman311

Wow, that WAS fast. I always thought that place was kind of an eyesore. But, I'm not sure a sea of cars and/or black asphault will be that much more pleasing.

I've got to agree. I live very close to this area, and while activity on that parcel is a good thing, I do hope they have plans for greenscape or some sort of attractive visual barrier.

I don't see a cyberknife or gammaknife in those floor plans.

Doesn't look like one, I'm surprised. There is a "future PET-CT" area though.

They also didn't add the capability to deliver proton therapy. I think the closest center to get proton treatment is in Indy.

There's no need, there is virtually no real evidence on benefits except for a fraction of cases (head & neck cancer). The majority of real-life treatment cases are prostate cancer, in which there is not a single bit of evidence of better outcomes, just theoretical advantages. They're a cash cow provided you can front the capital ($100mil) to build one. There are currently only 5 in the USA. A favorite quote of mine:

"Some experts say there is a vast need for more proton centers. But others contend that an arms race mentality has taken hold, as medical centers try to be first to take advantage of the prestige

Exactly fotoman. :) I think having more and more park-n-ride shuttles outside of the core is a great way to gauge the possible success of a light rail system into downtown. I hope we see more like this.

I spent way too much time at Spectrum - Downtown in December and the 1st 2 weeks of January :( . I'm guessing this lot will be for employees. It looks like over half of the current north ramp is for employees. One all the new buildings are up and running, I'm guessing there be a significantant increase in demand for visitor parking.

I spent way too much time at Spectrum - Downtown in December and the 1st 2 weeks of January :( . I'm guessing this lot will be for employees. It looks like over half of the current north ramp is for employees. One all the new buildings are up and running, I'm guessing there be a significantant increase in demand for visitor parking.

Sounds like the lot will be about 700 spaces. And yeah, I assumed it would be employees and not visitors. Hard to get hospital visitors to take a park-n-ride system.

I park in that ramp every couple of weeks to see my fetus doctor (I'm almost 12 weeks preggo!) It's a little crowded in that ramp but I can always find a spot.

I also want to give a shout out to my team of doctors, both my endocrinology team at Saint Mary's Wege Center and my fabulous OB team at West Michigan OB/GYN. They work together very effectively (so far) to make sure my high risk pregnancy is going as smoothly as possible. I think we're all very lucky to have such great doctors in this city, and these developments are only going to attract more!