Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Ex-Perrigo CEO Mike Jandernoa joins Van Andel Institute board

GRAND RAPIDS -- As the newest member of the Van Andel Institute board of directors, Mike Jandernoa plans to help bring the medical treatments developed by the institute's scientists to market.

Van Andel officials call it "translational research," turning the discoveries into drugs and other treatments that help patients.

"Clearly, they're moving to the point where it's translational and it helps people's health," said Jandernoa, former chief executive of Perrigo Co., an Allegan-based drugmaker. "If I can help in that regard, I'd be very, very happy."

He pointed to possible agreements for Perrigo, the nation's largest generic drugmaker, to produce pharmaceuticals developed by Van Andel Institute researchers.

"If a product needed to be manufactured, Perrigo might be -- and I emphasize 'might be' -- a site for manufacturing," said Jandernoa, who retired as Perrigo's CEO in 2000, but remains on its board.

Press Link

Could this possibly be the future transition point for Perrigo?

Thanks Fitz, but what are they tearing it down for? To build the new school?

We are building a new Ministry Center. The school has been moved off site, currently using school facilites at New Community church this year and next. We are looking for a new permanent site for the school.

The Ministry Center will be two stories. Southern wall will be about where the south wall of the old school is. We will have parking where the tower crane for VAI2 is currently standing.

Parking lot off Michigan will be reconfigured and expanded.

Demolition photos here:

http://www.immanuellcmsgr.org/photos.asp

If I can get pictures of the planned building I will post.

Fitz

We are building a new Ministry Center. The school has been moved off site, currently using school facilites at New Community church this year and next. We are looking for a new permanent site for the school.

Fitz

Ah, thanks Fitz.

Anyone notice that the old homes just East of the gas station at College and Michigan are slated to be demolished for a new "development opportunity"? Including the Queen Anne Victorian with the large two-story turret on the corner of the house.

Here's the listing:

http://www.carwm.com/pubs/propertySearch.php

(MLS 375105)

And an aerial:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

Funny how back then the land was so valuable near downtown for housing, that they snuck those dead-end alleyways in to be able to build out the back portion of the parcels. I guess the existing housing stock isn't worth much around here anymore. I'm personally hoping for a parking lot.

Anyone notice that the old homes just East of the gas station at College and Michigan are slated to be demolished for a new "development opportunity"? Including the Queen Anne Victorian with the large two-story turret on the corner of the house.

Grrrrr! I understand that this area of Michigan Street may not be well suited for houses anymore, but tearing down a historic house like that one, which from the outside still looks to be in good shape, is just really disappointing. Losing a unique building like this for what? So the gas station can add a car wash or some other uninteresting use. It would be nice if the owner of the land paid to have the house moved to a vacant lot in a nearby neighborhood instead of just destroying it.

Yeah, I know that's not likely.

Ah, thanks Fitz.

Here's the listing:

http://www.carwm.com/pubs/propertySearch.php

(MLS 375105)

And an aerial:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

Funny how back then the land was so valuable near downtown for housing, that they snuck those dead-end alleyways in to be able to build out the back portion of the parcels. I guess the existing housing stock isn't worth much around here anymore. I'm personally hoping for a parking lot.

This was mentioned awhile ago in the Ashby Row/Brikyaat historic district thread, but there wasn't much discussion of it.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=926517

I agree with FloydZ in that it would be a shame to tear down the nicest houses in that area. :/ Don't really know where they could move them though. At the same time, that has turned into some valuable land under those houses.

Construction wraps up on Medical Mile's $9M Park Row Condos

<snipped>

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmentnews/default.aspx

It isn't much, but atleast we're finally seeing something reach its completion stages, it definately sends the message home that thinks are going forward...

Edited by GRDadof3

They're building the curved roof sections on the new phase of VAI already. If you can't make it downtown any time soon, check for photo updates HERE.

I just drove past on Michigan. It's easy to see right now because the school that used to be next door is pretty much completely gone already.

It isn't much, but atleast we're finally seeing something reach its completion stages, it definately sends the message home that thinks are going forward...

I think it's a lot, maybe they are only 33 condos, but they are at a highly visible location and make a big statement about the redevelopment of the area. You should post this information in the MidTowne Village thread.

Edited by Eridony

Are you kidding they are going to tear those down for a car wash! I used to work with a girl that stayed in the blue victorian house next to the gas station and have been in that particular one and its very well maintained and will be a shame to lose such interesting housing stock for the sake of a gas station. Well hopefully the owner will put some money that money into fixing up that gas station its riddle with pot holes and really seems out of place for the area.

Are you kidding they are going to tear those down for a car wash! I used to work with a girl that stayed in the blue victorian house next to the gas station and have been in that particular one and its very well maintained and will be a shame to lose such interesting housing stock for the sake of a gas station. Well hopefully the owner will put some money that money into fixing up that gas station its riddle with pot holes and really seems out of place for the area.

I was kidding about the carwash. Someone else said they were going to tear down those houses and I'm sure whatever is built there will be some mundane thing that isn't worth tearing down that blue house for.