Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Here's the "money quote" as some call it from the paper today (in the margins that don't show up on the website):

"Create a distinct identity downtown with a 112,000 to 180,000 square foot building"

That definitely would not be the RDV/Christman project. Those three towers look very similar to each other, and you wouldn't be able to distinguish Spectrum's offices from the Med-School. That is probably the LAST thing that St Mary's would want. How about putting it in place of GRCC's campus. Put's it right between Spectrum and St Mary's, and rids the world of some awful looking architecture :thumbsup:

Here's the "money quote" as some call it from the paper today (in the margins that don't show up on the website):

"Create a distinct identity downtown with a 112,000 to 180,000 square foot building"

That definitely would not be the RDV/Christman project. Those three towers look very similar to each other, and you wouldn't be able to distinguish Spectrum's offices from the Med-School. That is probably the LAST thing that St Mary's would want. How about putting it in place of GRCC's campus. Put's it right between Spectrum and St Mary's, and rids the world of some awful looking architecture :thumbsup:

I would think that if that were the case MSU would just reuse the same buildings, and renovate them to their liking. But I would like to see GRCC move out perhaps to the former zoo proposal site next to FMG

Probably not likely Gary. 112 - 180,000 would be similar to GVSU's Health Sciences Bldg.

http://chronicle.com/stats/architecture/ar...ilding_id=10123

I see what you're saying and I think you're right, that thier building will have similar dimensions, but if they do go west of the VAI it'll be tough to find a site that large IMO. Besides, it's all just wishful thinking on my part anyway :P

http://maps.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/website/...1-14-19-382-044

Edited by GaryP

I would think that if that were the case MSU would just reuse the same buildings, and renovate them to their liking. But I would like to see GRCC move out perhaps to the former zoo proposal site next to FMG

Despite its horrible architecture, GRCC brings a lot of students and jobs to downtown. Why would you want to have them move out of downtown?

Despite its horrible architecture, GRCC brings a lot of students and jobs to downtown. Why would you want to have them move out of downtown?

well where would GRCC go if MSU moved in? :P I cant see them moving anyway. (maybe a nice campus on the west side of the river, near GVSU.)

Edited by snoogit

I was kidding about GRCC :P . I will say that if St Mary's has a big say in it, then it will end up EAST of GVSU on Michigan, and not close to Spectrum. Or another wild idea would be to put it at the old RAPID lot between Ionia and Division, and make a suspended tram to take students and doctors up to the VAI and hospital like Portland is doing:

184_Phasing_BG1400.sized.jpg

With a price tag of $45 million+, it's a no-brainer :lol:

Here's lansing's perspective. A lot more positive this time.

According to Free Beer and Hot Wings this morning, the funding was "secure", there were six or seven sites being examined as a site for the building, all around downtown, most on the medical hill. They also mentioned that "experts" were excited because we could really draw some top-dog researchers into the area. The school would be largely research-oriented, whatever that means. I don't know if anyone already posted all that but there you go. ;)

Edited by andy112129

Thanks for the updates Gary and Andy (Free Beer & Hot Wings :lol: ). Those guys are pretty funny.

Here's a new update:

MSU med-school planners focus on 4 sites

Thursday, November 17, 2005

By Chris Knape and Judy Putnam

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Four sites are being considered as a home for a medical school here, according to organizers' draft plan.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=1

Says about the same as we have been saying here, except it talks about the Eerdmans Publishing facility near St Mary's as a potential site shakehead.gif

I don't like that idea.

31A2BA70579611DA952D59B418F73B1D.jpg

The Mercantile Bank building site would be good.

Says about the same as we have been saying here, except it talks about the Eerdmans Publishing facility near St Mary's as a potential site shakehead.gif

I don't like that idea.

I think that area could be great if it werent for all the surface parking all over the place. IMO the best thing for that spot is a ramp. Then all the wasted surface lots could be built on; I'm sure some of the people living in Heritage Hill wouldnt mind a little more retail around.

Here is the DETAILED Proof of Concept for those of you looking for some reading material:

http://humanmedicine.msu.edu/WorkPapers.pdf

Some interesting quotes regarding the research environment already present here:

More than 700 open and approved clinical trials in progress

Over $100 million in public dollars applied to over 550 current research projects

More R&D business expenditures, per capita, than any other U.S. Metropolitan area

Spectrum Health is a Top 10 teaching hospital in the country

GR is the sixth largest metropolitan area WITHOUT a medical school :(

Some of the potential research fields that may be pursued in the Grand Rapids - MSU alliance:

Bioinformatics, genomics-proteomics, robotics, nano-technology, biosensors, biomaterials .... :huh:

Grand Valley State stands to benefit greatly from the alliance with added curriculum/partnerships.

OK, I stopped at page 26 of 119 :D

For more: http://special.newsroom.msu.edu/msu%5Fwmms/

Says about the same as we have been saying here, except it talks about the Eerdmans Publishing facility near St Mary's as a potential site

They are just throwing a bone to St. Mary's to keep them from feeling left out. Plus, it is not like they really want to look like they are favoring one hospital over another because in the long run, they will need them both. St. Mary's actually does have some highly respected staff and departments. It is just a different type of facility, not much like Spectrum.

That being said, we all know this thing is going on the hill. My bet, the Christman development - I am guessing that the very reason they are moving forward on this so quickly is because they see MSU as a good long term lock.