Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Photo update:

It looks like they are putting up steel around the area the tower will rise from.

2467707537_1ca037bf75_b.jpg

If you're talking about the semi-circle steel area being attached to the current hospital, that's actually a redesigned entryway and turnaround for Butterworth. The Children's Hospital will be over to the upper right, almost right under the tower crane, which will also have a drop-off canopy over the turnaround. I don't see any steel yet on the HDVCH.

Flip this picture all the way over and you'll have the same orientation as your picture you took.

358739763_11e6c34354_o.jpg

If you're talking about the semi-circle steel area being attached to the current hospital, that's actually a redesigned entryway and turnaround for Butterworth. The Children's Hospital will be over to the upper right, almost right under the tower crane, which will also have a drop-off canopy over the turnaround. I don't see any steel yet on the HDVCH.

Okay thanks. I thought the tower was going to be further over, but the way that steel was curving reminded me of the curve of the tower.

Ah. Regardless, it's becoming apparent just how much of a presence this will have on the skyline when comparing the height of the base with the height of the VAI. VAI reaches over the base ~4 stories, with about 10 of HDVC above the base? Assuming floor heights will be similar, that's a 6-storey over-reach.

Ah. Regardless, it's becoming apparent just how much of a presence this will have on the skyline when comparing the height of the base with the height of the VAI. VAI reaches over the base ~4 stories, with about 10 of HDVC above the base? Assuming floor heights will be similar, that's a 6-storey over-reach.

Yeah, I'm excited to see how much it impacts the skyline as well. If I remember right after they finish the concrete parking decks the building will be made from steel, so once the tower starts it should really shoot up into the sky.

In your last post you mentioned my photo gave a sense of massiveness, and you know that things always seem much larger in real life. The project seemed huge from my viewpoint, and seeing the crane from VAI, the Cancer Center, and River House all in my field of view just added to that feeling.

Does anyone know if they are working 24 hour a day on the MSU Building? I drove by on the highway about an hour ago and work was still going on...

I think you're right. I took this picture at 2:15am Friday morning:

2480132933_5c681982e4_b.jpg

There is a large truck backing out of the parking structure entrance and just before I took this there were 3 cement trucks lined up on Michigan, but I missed getting s picture of them.

From the Spectrum Health employee announcements today. I am excited to get a look inside.

Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion Open Houses:

All staff and physicians are invited to a Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion open houses Friday, June 20 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, June 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

A community open house will be held Sunday, June 22 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Event parking will be available in the ramp under the Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion. The entrance is on Coit Avenue just north of Michigan Street.

Not sure if these have ever been posted, here, but Lansing's Christman Company recently redid their website and now have photos and renderings of their projects up:

33_797543.jpg

33_58133.jpg

Not having checked back in here in awhile, I was surprised to see in the rendering the Secchia Center with so many floors.

Not sure if these have ever been posted, here, but Lansing's Christman Company recently redid their website and now have photos and renderings of their projects up:

Not having checked back in here in awhile, I was surprised to see in the rendering the Secchia Center with so many floors.

Yes, the latest one we had was this:

1760089971_9db619857e_b.jpg

You know it's funny -- I was just thinking the other day about if the MSU building would have any green night time lights shining in the building - and there's that one little strip.

I think it would be cool if the parts in the middle where it's all glass just lit up in green. GR needs to get more colorful.

The steel has started to go up on the Med School.

I haven't sifted through all 115 pages of this.

Has anyone commented how disappointed they are with the Lemmen-Holton cancer pavalion? Driving westbound on 196, i think the thing is substantially underwhelming. I know I made a remark a long time ago about the choice of "rock" and looking pedestrian and suburban, sure enough, the finished product looks suburban.

Anyone else not really liking the new digs?

I felt like I had to help out eridony and get some more photo updates. Here are some from the biggies:

HDVCH Base:

2546830710_e756151470_b.jpg

Full Size

The new Butterworth Hospital entryway:

2546838246_762a36fdc4_b.jpg

The combined two sites:

2546014027_383e3631d9_o.jpg

Lemmen Holton Cancer Center, and the etched tree:

2546017109_f8e45c456e_b.jpg

It takes a steady hand:

2546019879_6d4bacab47_b.jpg

LHCC sprucing up their back (front) yard. I'm surprised they didn't plant any trees???

2546021531_b7e8927905_b.jpg

MSU Med School. This thing's going to go up pretty fast, I imagine:

2546834856_00114a13d0_b.jpg

And a repeat of that cool VAI shot:

2534529196_ba54879321_o.jpg

Oh, and I can't remember what thread this was in, but the Plymouth St Spectrum Park-n-Ride is almost ready. Man, imagine if this were for a light rail system using those rail lines.

2546027305_a1bf93b084_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

2592095026_75d431d5bc_b.jpg

Cool shot, I like how you got River House positioned just beyond the VAI construction. I've never seen so many people in that park, is that a lunch time shot?

Here are some pictures I took the other night. Sorry if some parts are too dark, I just use a cheap powershot camera that I'm pretty sure was never intended to take night scenes like this.

MSU:

2590664256_27ccbb97d1_b.jpg

You can see the moon glow at the top of the building here.

2591927615_3258c0a68a_b.jpg

Peeking through the windows. Is this place supposed to be completely finished by June 30th?

2592766242_920f7ca946_b.jpg