Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I fear that five years from completion that wavy wall will look as cool as the red and yellow trim on the old City Center parking ramp did... or perhaps this lovely parking garage in East Lansing.

I didn't even need to click on your link to know you were talking about that ramp. In person it looks like a giant version of one of those tricked-out hamster cages with the tubes and stuff.

I thought someone had recently posted something about touring Van Andel Institute recently, but I can't remember where (?). Anyway, the Business Journal has an article with an update of the construction, and they again talk about how it will eventually employ about 800 researchers and support staff. :w00t: That would make VAI the second largest employer downtown, AFAIK, created basically out of thin air. How awesome is that? I can't see how VAI won't have a noticeable impact on Grand Rapids when it's fully built out.

I thought someone had recently posted something about touring Van Andel Institute recently, but I can't remember where (?). Anyway, the Business Journal has an article with an update of the construction, and they again talk about how it will eventually employ about 800 researchers and support staff. :w00t: That would make VAI the second largest employer downtown, AFAIK, created basically out of thin air. How awesome is that? I can't see how VAI won't have a noticeable impact on Grand Rapids when it's fully built out.

How many does it employ today?

According to their website they have around 250 employees.

"Operating Capacity: expansion will ultimately support an operation in excess of $125 million annually

Staff: operating at capacity, VAI expects to employ approximately 800 people (approximately 550 new jobs)"

http://www.vai.org/About/Facilities/PhaseII.aspx

~John

"Operating Capacity: expansion will ultimately support an operation in excess of $125 million annually

Staff: operating at capacity, VAI expects to employ approximately 800 people (approximately 550 new jobs)"

~John

Yes, essentially tripling the number of people under their roof. I can think of a few offices in town that have about 800 people under one roof, and they're huge (Farmers, Steelcase HQ, Meijer, etc.).

For those who want a corporate HQ to move downtown, there ya go (VAI).

~John

That's amazing, and great for the city. I tell you, I have never seen so much concentrated construction like whats taking place on Michigan st. anywhere, and thats coming from a guy who grew up in Chicago through the ninety's, during one of its biggest building booms. (which sometimes seems like it has never stopped)

With the thousands (I think that is accurate statement) that will be working/going to school on the Medical Mile, where will these people eat, and shop? I'm still a little surprised that none of these developments (mainly RDV/Christman) don't include retail/restaurant. Will they hold up, eating in the cafeterias of these massive buildings, not going outside? Will they venture downtown, or will we see any more commercial development along the mile? I like that Midtowne has integrated commercial.

I kind of wonder if Moxie's, the hotdog/ice cream shop at Michigan and Union, will open again and give it another shot. Seems like this would be a good place to go if you were at the Women's Health Center. We were sad to see them close and really liked their fries.

With the thousands (I think that is accurate statement) that will be working/going to school on the Medical Mile, where will these people eat, and shop? I'm still a little surprised that none of these developments (mainly RDV/Christman) don't include retail/restaurant. Will they hold up, eating in the cafeterias of these massive buildings, not going outside? Will they venture downtown, or will we see any more commercial development along the mile? I like that Midtowne has integrated commercial.

That's a very good point.

I sat in on a presentation a couple of years ago that one of the top guys at spectrum was giving, and I asked that question..." What is going to be done about food services?"

He said that THAT was the top question by Spectrum staff.

I think GRDAD is correct... I also have heard a food court might possibly be added in the last tower to be built.

In my opinion, the problem with that is that it will more than likely be more of the same kind of food you can get at Spectrum now. (Nothing authentic) and also when you work in a institution all day, or sit with a patient~ it's great to take a walk and get a bite OUTSIDE the building. Of course, that leaves you McDonald's and anything that might pop up beyond that will be to far away for those with only a 30 minute break.

I don't know if any of you guys have been paying attention, but probably the clearest thing coming from the work that was done on the Belknap draft ASP was that the overwhelming consensus of Belknap residents want to bring back some services to the neighborhood like a deli or coffee shop and more. However, now it's a question of the effect and how does something like neighborhood commercial work in the Belknap neighborhood? The primary focus for location revolved around the Coit and Hastings corner along with Lafayette.

While I think both locations have merit, I think the Coit and Hastings corridor fits the idea of that walkable neighborhood center a whole lot better, and when you throw in the new Coit bridge in 2010 you have the potential to create something that not only will be able to provide services to the neighborhood but also to those who work on Medical Mile. (let's face it, if we can't get them to cross the bridge, services in Belknap would never survive anyhow. but I think people would appreciate a 5 minute walk to sit at a cafe)

Edited by aiga1

Hey GRDad, do you think this is one of those terminating vistas that John Norquist was talking about? BTW, rumor has it that Norquist will be speaking at the GR Bike Summit in April, when that gets pulled together.

Hey GRDad, do you think this is one of those terminating vistas that John Norquist was talking about? BTW, rumor has it that Norquist will be speaking at the GR Bike Summit in April, when that gets pulled together.

I remember the examples Norquist used were public spaces (Milwaukee's art museum, schools, government buildings) but I see no reason the terminating vista idea can't be applied to other structures. Looking North down Division from Heartside, it's pretty amazing how much denser Division Avenue feels with the addition of this single building.