Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

It looks like they are almost done with the stairs for Crescent Park.

Also looks like they are almost ready to open up North bound Division Ave. to Michigan Street.

The Van Andel Institute Phase II is really beginning to look like a finished product on the outside.

I just can't figure out what the hold up is with getting the middle windows in at the Secchia Center. They have them in on the North side but not the South and West sides.

Last time I was up on Michigan, it looks like they are getting close to having the parking ramp under the future 35 Michigan building done. So looking forward to the start and finish of that building. It is amazing how fast the Medical Mile is springing up. Next Spring will be an awesome time for getting shots of the completed outside of the buildings.

Here is the latest VAI Webcam shot:

http://www.vai.org/About/Facilities/~/medi...tion091809.ashx

~John

I was at a meeting at VAI the other day and they have an awesome scale model of the entire project. All the brackets on the roof are set to hold solar panels.

Also, apparently Vinoly is coming to Grand Rapids to talk about his design some time in October.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, who is Rafael Vinoly?

Walked by the Medical Mile today. Crescent Park is starting to look real cool. Can't wait to visit the finished product. VAI Phase II is looking super sweet. Plantings around the building are in with light on along the Division Ave wall with vines plantes. The parking ramp under the 35 Michigan Street Medical Building is about complete and the West wall of the Children's Hospital with the wave is taking shape.

3978079026_d2c76547d2.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3978079026/sizes/l/

3978076016_93284b4400.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3978076016/sizes/l/

~John

The architect for the original VAI building.

(and possibly the expansion too, but not sure)

Yes. AFAIK, the entire project was pre-designed by Vinoly and built in phases. There is a local architect also that is working on it (can't think of the name).

Here's some of his work:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...sa=N&tab=wi

This is one of my favorite buildings in Ann Arbor. I was in school there when it was being built. The interiors of that building are great! Incredible natural lighting

I bet!

This is one of those buildings that I kind of like now, but I wonder how it will be viewed in 20 years. That's kind of my thought on the new DeVos Children's Hospital as well.

This is one of my favorite buildings in Ann Arbor. I was in school there when it was being built. The interiors of that building are great! Incredible natural lighting

I love the double layer of glass on that South-facing wall. I think I've posted images of buildings from London's Canary Wharf on here that have that same effect (I assume to help with LEED Certification?)

LEED certification was not the driving factor in the design by any means. The Double Skin Facade provides numerous advantages in terms of natural ventilation & thermal advantages. I remember seeing a number of thermal, solar and ventilation simulations that were framed along the 'back entrance' the Architecture Building highlighting the various environmental systems throughout the building. Some very cool stuff

Couple more shots from Golscorer's Flickrstream:

1369012441_20d826b852_b.jpg

1454295432_3a922b095e.jpg

1369011473_8d212aec63_b.jpg

LEED certification was not the driving factor in the design by any means. The Double Skin Facade provides numerous advantages in terms of natural ventilation & thermal advantages. I remember seeing a number of thermal, solar and ventilation simulations that were framed along the 'back entrance' the Architecture Building highlighting the various environmental systems throughout the building. Some very cool stuff

Couple more shots from Golscorer's Flickrstream:

1454295432_3a922b095e.jpg

Nice! They couldn't have put that pedestrian bridge in a more perfect spot (for photogs). :)

• 2 weeks later...