Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Great pic John. This looks like another piece of the Children's Hospital that got value engineered. Much more two-dimensional that the original renderings.

Spire: gone. Wave wall: much less intricate. Does this mean the suspension bridge is next to get dumbed-down?

Joe

The Helen DeVos Childrens Hospital "wave" glass is being installed.

4104222310_ff1e78c422.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/4104222310/sizes/l/

More in the November 14 2009 set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/sets/72157622803300426/

~John

Great pic John. This looks like another piece of the Children's Hospital that got value engineered. Much more two-dimensional that the original renderings.

Spire: gone. Wave wall: much less intricate. Does this mean the suspension bridge is next to get dumbed-down?

Joe

On the tour I was on, they said the cables are gone from the design, but it will still maintain the triangular shape with the soaring ceilings on the interior (it was too late to change that design).

Joe

I thought the same thing Joe, but I went back and looked at the more recent renderings, the three-dimensional part appears to be wave like forms that are attached to and placed over the glazing rather part of the glazing itself. It is very possible that there is still more to be installed yet. I could imagine that cutting glass into curved shapes all over would be expensive, so approximating the wave with rectangles then covering the edges with something else that is curved might be a better option.

Personally, if the suspension cables wouldn't have actually held the bridge up (which they obviously didn't if the bridge can be built without them), I think they should be axed from the design. They may have looked interesting, but would have been structurally deceiving, and a waste of money and resources. I would have much rather seen a design that is both innovative and functional in some way. Heck, if the spire and suspension system really did hold the bridge up it may have been much more difficult to value-engineer it out.

Edited by andrew69@ltu

I thought the same thing Joe, but I went back and looked at the more recent renderings, the three-dimensional part appears to be wave like forms that are attached to and placed over the glazing rather part of the glazing itself. It is very possible that there is still more to be installed yet. I could imagine that cutting glass into curved shapes all over would be expensive, so approximating the wave with rectangles then covering the edges with something else that is curved might be a better option.

Personally, if the suspension cables wouldn't have actually held the bridge up (which they obviously didn't if the bridge can be built without them), I think they should be axed from the design. They may have looked interesting, but would have been structurally deceiving, and a waste of money and resources. I would have much rather seen a design that is both innovative and functional in some way. Heck, if the spire and suspension system really did hold the bridge up it may have been much more difficult to value-engineer it out.

Yep, it looks like the latest design is a mixture of staggered glass panels and the wave-like structure:

HelenDevosChildrensHospitalNew.jpg

I was in Las Vegas last week and thought this building kind of had the same vibe as the Children's Hospital:

4084100983_7a73f00f53.jpg

4084096271_239b47660d.jpg

It's a luxury condo building (much taller than DVCH) in the City Center complex. If you haven't heard of City Center in LV, check out this Flickr page: City Center . I'd have to say it is one of the most ambitious construction projects ever. Rafael Vinoly (VAI architect) has a building (Vdara) in this complex. Cool stuff.

Joe

It's a luxury condo building (much taller than DVCH) in the City Center complex. If you haven't heard of City Center in LV, check out this Flickr page: City Center . I'd have to say it is one of the most ambitious construction projects ever. Rafael Vinoly (VAI architect) has a building (Vdara) in this complex. Cool stuff.

If I am correct, the building pictured there is by Norman Foster and is now ONLY a hotel building because of a very costly construction mistake. The building was originally planned at 49 stories. An error in the concrete steel reinforcing forced the building to be reduced to 28 floors and the condo element was entirely eliminated.

Wow, buildings with funky blue glass patterns must be a real pain to build. ;)

Joe

If I am correct, the building pictured there is by Norman Foster and is now ONLY a hotel building because of a very costly construction mistake. The building was originally planned at 49 stories. An error in the concrete steel reinforcing forced the building to be reduced to 28 floors and the condo element was entirely eliminated.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my photos from the 28th floor of River House Condos of the Medical Mile Skyline that I took during ArtPrize is featured on the main page of Western Michigan Chapter of the Federal Bar Association's website.

Click Image For Website Source

4204485533_3047e8ac56.jpg

http://www.flickr.co...485533/sizes/o/

~John

Edited by John E

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...