Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

6 hours ago, getemngo said:

Thanks for clarifying, @GRDadof3. The address 426 Michigan is this building, which is also used by Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. The actual building in question is 230 Michigan.

No, thank YOU for the clarification. Apparently google street view is incorrect. The address on the permit is 426 Michigan so it would be the building you linked to. Which makes more sense because I think that was reported a little while back that it was being completely renovated. 

On 7/22/2016 at 1:04 PM, Pattmost20 said:

Stopped in Martha's today and spoke with Kameel. He said 616 had approached him a while ago about a mixed-use development. For right now he is just tearing down and cleaning up the lot, not sure what he will do with it exactly.

Property is nicely cleaned up.  They put down a bunch of sod which gives it kind of a park like feeling.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, wingbert said:

Dick Devos leads Spectrum Health?

Was thinking the same thing.  The website lists Dick DeVos as Emeritus Trustee on the Board Trustee page.  Guessing the they were just looking for a DeVos connection somehow and were reaching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJLO said:

Reaching hard, that was one of WEAKEST conspiracy stories I've ever read.  Speculation Id expect to see on huffpost, but definitely not an organization that is desperately clinging to it's credibility like CNN.

Should they have not reported on it? Bury it?  It is rather suspicious activity. 

But anyway, moving on. Did anyone see this article about Spectrum starting a $100 Million VC arm? 

https://mibiz.com/item/24606-spectrum-health-forms-vc-fund-to-invest-up-to-

35 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Should they have not reported on it? Bury it?  It is rather suspicious activity. 

If you read the article it's hard to tell anything from it other than it's something that was discovered months ago.  It contains factual inaccuracies about who "leads" Spectrum Health, making it appear that Dick Devos and not Richard Breon is the CEO.  It's eludes to something that hasn't  been proven, and reaches to try and tie one of Trumps most controversial appointees to it.   It is also no secret that CNN is one of Donald Trumps largest detractors.  Yeah I think it's a quite convenient manner of reporting in order to advance a political narrative.  You have to get to the very last sentence of the article before they admit it could be nothing.  Not taking a side here but I am definitely tired of political activism being thinly veiled as journalism.  It happens on both sides and it shouldn't be ignored just because we agree with whatever hit peice appeals to our senses.

8 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

But anyway, moving on. Did anyone see this article about Spectrum starting a $100 Million VC arm? 

https://mibiz.com/item/24606-spectrum-health-forms-vc-fund-to-invest-up-to-

Is it just me or does this seem a little silly? Spectrum is a regional player (not the size or scope of Ascension or Trinity). Instead of investing and hoping something pans out, seems like the money would be better spent seeing who "wins" and buying the right tech. The fast follower so to speak. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, it just seems a bit like pissing in the wind. :)

I guess it's their money. Until I hurt myself. Then I get to help pay for this VC fund. Maybe people can get a share with every $1000 spent? Haha. 

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yay, they're finally going to start working on rebuilding Michigan Street, starting with the block between Monroe and Ionia. It has gotten ridiculously bad. It's on the city commission agenda and goes to the DDA at their april meeting.

Is it a rebuild to current specs or will they alter the width as was talked about last year?

I HATE driving down the hill and having to swerve all over the place just to stay in my own lane.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, john_denver said:

Is it a rebuild to current specs or will they alter the width as was talked about last year?

I HATE driving down the hill and having to swerve all over the place just to stay in my own lane.

Complete rebuild, first phase of a multi-phase project with MDOT (according to the agenda). 

• 2 months later...

Those zany folks at Spectrum just opened their top to bottom renovation of the 30 year old suburban medical building at 426 Michigan. Bummer they could not invest in a plan that brought a new building out to the street instead.  I guess $$$ played a factor in that.  

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/05/spectrum_health_opens_another.html#incart_river_home

-c3662d186d7bb1dc.jpg