Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

22 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Those zany folks at Spectrum just opened their top to bottom renovation of the 30 year old suburban medical building at 426 Michigan. Bummer they could not invest in a plan that brought a new building out to the street instead.  I guess $$$ played a factor in that.  

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/05/spectrum_health_opens_another.html#incart_river_home

-c3662d186d7bb1dc.jpg

I noticed this the other day and thought they at least did a good job giving that 80's building a facelift. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I'm going to guess that it will be designed so that they can add capacity on top? 

At least we get a better look at the health sciences center on Michigan and it's.... OK. 

Was posted here too:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/52986-michigan-street-corridor-development/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-1503523

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm going to guess that it will be designed so that they can add capacity on top? 

I would hope they build it to add more parking or classrooms/offices. Much easier then buying more land, rewriting the neighborhood plan, or tearing down buildings. And why would the area need more than three  large ramps? 

2 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

I would hope they build it to add more parking or classrooms/offices. Much easier then buying more land, rewriting the neighborhood plan, or tearing down buildings. And why would the area need more than three  large ramps? 

I think so that people who live in Heritage Hill and Belknap don't have all of their onstreet parking eaten up by GVSU students, professors and Spectrum employees. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I know that the McDonald’s on Michigan is really busy, but these renderings almost put a bullseye on that lot for future development. :)

Joe

I know i'm a broken record here,  but they won't give that location up without a boatload of cash and eminent domain, or inclusion into whatever development would want to go there(including a drive through).

On 2/4/2018 at 8:12 AM, MJLO said:

I know i'm a broken record here,  but they won't give that location up without a boatload of cash and eminent domain, or inclusion into whatever development would want to go there(including a drive through).

Oh, I'm not saying they won't get a huge $$$ to sell the property. I'm just saying it's in the crosshairs of high density development. 

Joe

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments
On 3/11/2018 at 8:31 AM, GRDadof3 said:

88 townhomes planned for 2233 Michigan, where there's currently a church. I seem to remember this was posted here somewhere before. Orion appears to be the developer.

5aa521b6c3200_2233Michigan.thumb.JPG.c0ee7dabdc291d6204ff3de3e5dc5a75.JPG

http://www.grbj.com/articles/90190-firm-proposes-88-unit-townhouse-project

To Quote GRDadof3

"It won't become a subdivision at $77,000 an acre, unless it's very high density townhomes or something similar. "

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that trailer last week but didn't know if it was new or not. I see that Michigan street is going to be down to one lane each way here pretty soon as work on some drainge for the new development takes places.  Seems like things are moving along here quickly. 

Yeah our building association sent out a letter from the city talking about how Lafayette will be closed until July.  It was also detailing the work that will be done on Michigan which is in preparation for the new GVSU building and their joint ramp.

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

Yeah our building association sent out a letter from the city talking about how Lafayette will be closed until July.  It was also detailing the work that will be done on Michigan which is in preparation for the new GVSU building and their joint ramp.

The GVSU Finkelstein Hall actually had a conference room table and chairs set up in one of the glass-enclosed rooms that you can see from the highway. Wow, I'd say that project is finished, on an accelerated timeframe. On to the next one. 

Complete random thought but I have always wondered how well Michigan street would do if it was converted to one  lane of traffic each way with a turn lane from college to Fuller or maybe even Plymouth. I know it's highly unliekly to happen but Plainfield in the Creston neighborhood area is a major road that gets a lot of daily commuters and it seems to move pretty steady. Michigan street has plenty of streets as well as even 196 that runs parallel to help eleivate congestion. As someone who lives in this area it will always be a dream of mine to have bike Lanes on this street not to mention wider sidewalks to make it more walkable. 

Edited by jonrapley
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Here are two of the latest renderings of the new GVSU facility on Michigan.

2000.jpg

333_square_cropped.jpg

eww.    Why???!!!!   I don't understand why they would make it completely different from the other.   It's basically the same format but it a completely different shell.  ugh.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jthrasher said:

eww.    Why???!!!!   I don't understand why they would make it completely different from the other.   It's basically the same format but it a completely different shell.  ugh.  

Agreed. I suspect they have a single concept for their architecture going forward for all Allendale and downtown buildings and they're not willing to budge from that - only tweak it to somewhat make it blend. Everything they have built lately has been light brown brick and/or stone with tinted glass. The current CHS building is made up of white panels with blue glass. To match it completely would be to go away from the new theme they've established. I don't agree with it, but I suspect that's their rationale. 

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Here are two of the latest renderings of the new GVSU facility on Michigan.

2000.jpg

333_square_cropped.jpg

If it were a standalone building it's not bad. Looks like a typical higher ed institutional building. But yeah connected to the current Devos facility looks weird. 

I wonder what those vertical pieces are going to be made of? Metal or some kind of tile? 

• Like 1