Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Where is there a Starbucks at 28th and the Beltline? I can't picture it.

Here's the site plan for this project again:

59fdc3e918729_StarbucksonFuller.thumb.JP

As I said, it’s almost uncanny the resemblence. Accept at the Starbucks on the Beltline, you have to double back down a small road next to the residence inn (or whatever it is now), and pray that you can turn left... which usually means turning right and taking an extra 20 minutes to go through the busy intersection, turn around, and come back through). I’m not saying either is a great scenario, but the Starbucks on the Beltline is always busy.  :)

B955F014-828B-421F-9E58-0070046FBBB5.thumb.jpeg.e28142d42fd7fb8f9a041230c9cbde3f.jpeg

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

As I said, it’s almost uncanny the resemblence. Accept at the Starbucks on the Beltline, you have to double back down a small road next to the residence inn (or whatever it is now), and pray that you can turn left... which usually means turning right and taking an extra 20 minutes to go through the busy intersection, turn around, and come back through). I’m not saying either is a great scenario, but the Starbucks on the Beltline is always busy.  :)

B955F014-828B-421F-9E58-0070046FBBB5.thumb.jpeg.e28142d42fd7fb8f9a041230c9cbde3f.jpeg

Oh right, I didn't picture that corner. People must really like their Starbucks! 

• 2 weeks later...

New images for the GVSU Health Sciences expansion project, from their ground-breaking earlier this week. I guess I didn't realize the buildings will be completely connected. 

https://www.gvsu.edu/gvnow/2018/grand-valley-breaks-ground-on-devos-center-for-interprofessional-health-10757.htm

1699289561_GVSUHealthSciencesrendering2.thumb.JPG.bbea5461f3566e26bd012a068d6b6ed8.JPG

2053241661_GVSUHealthSciencessiteplan.thumb.jpg.927c6ab7741f40db5a104f54001ac633.jpg

1420168438_GVSUHealthSciencesrendering10-2018.thumb.jpg.04659b7c02a38359e6a0f34b1d9fd85f.jpg

216935408_GVSUhealthroof.thumb.jpg.5d688dabeab864a681c853f5ad5c4762.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

Looks like its grand opening is today! 

http://ginzasushiramen.com/

Let me know how it is if you go. I will be gone til sunday.

I really, really, really hope this place is good. I've been wanting a solid Ramen place in GR for a long time, and everything keeps coming up short. If this one is no good, I'm passing around a collection plate and starting my own.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I really, really, really hope this place is good. I've been wanting a solid Ramen place in GR for a long time, and everything keeps coming up short. If this one is no good, I'm passing around a collection plate and starting my own.

My first concern is the size of the menu.  Way too many options for things not Ramen.  Lets hope......

Also no vegetarian ramen or even veg. based broth options.

Edited by EastownLeo

10 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

My first concern is the size of the menu.  Way too many options for things not Ramen.

YES! The best ramen spots I've been to have about 50% or more of their menu dedicated to Ramen. I've made it quite a few times myself, it is very involved dish that requires a couple days prep and some pretty specialized equipment (especially to mass produce).  It can't be an afterthought on a menu.

Ando suffers from having too big a menu. Their Ramen is decent, but not great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I've felt that Sapporo Ramen on 28th St. is pretty good. Seems fairly popular, too. It's never empty when I go there. They also maintain a little memorial for Anthony Bourdain on the counter, which is bonus points for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tSlater said:

I've felt that Sapporo Ramen on 28th St. is pretty good. Seems fairly popular, too. It's never empty when I go there. They also maintain a little memorial for Anthony Bourdain on the counter, which is bonus points for me.

I keep hearing this place is good, I just rarely find myself over there. (Bourdain was my favorite human I've never met.)

I have a feeling this Ginza will be more of a sushi place over a ramen place but lets hope. Looks like they have a bar being set up. I like that.

Edited by HavingAhoot

18 hours ago, tSlater said:

I enjoy Sapporo. It is completely out of the way for me in terms of both where I live and work, but I make the trek out there every once and a while.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:58 PM, HavingAhoot said:

Looks like its grand opening is today! 

http://ginzasushiramen.com/

Let me know how it is if you go. I will be gone til sunday.

Ramen was good, not great. Broth was pretty tasty, noodles were decent, pork was just okay, egg was downright awful (overcooked and rubbery). I'd go again and probably get other dishes, and I'll probably try the ramen again in a few months, give them time to work out the kinks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Ramen was good, not great. Broth was pretty tasty, noodles were decent, pork was just okay, egg was downright awful (overcooked and rubbery). I'd go again and probably get other dishes, and I'll probably try the ramen again in a few months, give them time to work out the kinks.

I've heard a rule that you never eat at a new restaurant in the first month. 

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I've heard a rule that you never eat at a new restaurant in the first month. 

I feel like people used to say that more because new restaurants would be busy and the staff would be overwhelmed, leading to missed orders, wrong orders, and bad service. Ginza was far from packed and service was good. Their line cooks may not be fully trained yet, it did have the feel of a soft opening (no liquor license yet). Who knows. But I've had some amazing meals at restaurants that have just opened (Marcona for example).

• Like 1

I got food from here today pretty 'meh' experience.  Ordered online, got there and apparently they couldn't read my order, so I had to place another one.  Not a huge deal to me.  I got the sashimi bento box.  Miso soup was ok, there were maybe six pea size pieces of tofu in it.  The box only had the sashimi and sushi, but none of the other things that the menu said came with it.  Both were average.  They still have kinks to work out and are still in soft open mode, but I'd probably rather go to a Chinese buffet.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Thanks for the photo crinzema. I have to imagine at some point, the owner of that McDonald's is going to make a pretty penny.

I believe that’s one of the most profitable in the Midwest.  I would think if anything were to be done, McDonalds would be the sole retail tenet.  But the Bk down the road sold for $11 million.

11 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Thanks for the photo crinzema. I have to imagine at some point, the owner of that McDonald's is going to make a pretty penny.

That McDonald’s is corporate as it has been since the late 80s.  It isn’t privately owned.  Even if it were private franchise owners don’t own the land the restaurant sits on, its all owned by the McDonalds corporation.  You will never see McDonalds walk away from that location It’s one of the busiest in Michigan.    

My parents have been involved in corporate and private franchise McDonalds since the 70s. I know way more about how all that works than I ever wished too lol.  They would basically have to offer them $10million cash for that location and find a way to incorporate a new restaurant into whatever development would go in there.

You’re basically going to need eminent domain to redevelop that property at this point.