Jump to content

joeDowntown

Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, whitemice said:

This!  
There is a pedestrian & transit oriented road diet planned for Michigan east of College.  We'll have to see how ambitious that is.

Any idea when this diet will happen tho? I feel like this diet is happening about like mine is. I know you're in the know when it comes to road/transit.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I thought the road diet was Michigan east of College.  Weren't they going to change it to one lane each directions with a center turn lane and parking on each side?  I would think all they would need to do is some re-striping.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michigan Street from Monroe to College (?) is officially going to be commemorated as "Medical Mile." Not sure what all signs there will be for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I thought the road diet was Michigan east of College.  Weren't they going to change it to one lane each directions with a center turn lane and parking on each side?  I would think all they would need to do is some re-striping.....
"Modifications include changing the striping configuration to create one travel lane in either direction and a center left-turn lane, plus a parking lane on the south side of the road."

As someone who has crossed Michigan at Grand many times, this diet will be very welcome to all in the area. Drivers are constantly flying through there and weaving around others turning left. The article states that the diet was planned for "this spring" (2019), so I don't know what the holdup is...

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/gr-planners-to-implement-road-diet-along-michigan

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they just painted a crosswalk at the Michigan and Grand intersection, hopefully this is a sign that the road diet is starting soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 54equalsunity said:

"Modifications include changing the striping configuration to create one travel lane in either direction and a center left-turn lane, plus a parking lane on the south side of the road."

As someone who has crossed Michigan at Grand many times, this diet will be very welcome to all in the area. Drivers are constantly flying through there and weaving around others turning left. The article states that the diet was planned for "this spring" (2019), so I don't know what the holdup is...

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/gr-planners-to-implement-road-diet-along-michigan

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

Probably delayed due to freeway construction would be my guess.  Closing the freeway, and then simultaneously tearing up a portion of it's primary detour artery would be Pure Michigan though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, tSlater said:

Why are they converting that intersection from concrete to asphalt? That seems unnecessary and.. backwards?

That is the new direction; that was stated at the last MobileGR meeting.

If there is development or other work expected the intersection might as well be asphalt for when it gets torn up.

I do not believe anyone expects this to be a "permanent" reconfiguration as it is not really compliant with either the Michigan St. Corridor plan or the Vital Streets overlay.  It is an interim/incremental improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michigan Street is now totally re-striped from Fuller to Lafayette. It catches you by surprise that Eastbound Michigan as you approach College is now two left turn lanes (finally) and the far right lane ONLY goes straight. 

Seems to make more sense now though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed they're adding an interesting "louvred" look on the side of the new GVSU parking ramp along 196. The renderings show it looking a little different.

C26C8AB0-0BE7-4EC6-AAF3-7B0B5A0E9BA0.jpe

20191017_171340.thumb.jpg.185cff71f605832a13bb2b8355f2c805.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of parking ramp screening. I saw the coolest parking ever down on Chicago (Fulton Market area) a few weeks ago. It’s a kinetic wall, so it serves its purpose of covering the parking ramp and is a piece of artwork. This video does a decent job showing it in action but it’s really interesting in person when you can see multiple sides of the building react to the wind. 
 

BTW, it isn’t loud, I think the sound you hear in the video is construction on a tower going up next door. 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^Saw that the other day.^^^   Fulton Market is on fire.   Herman Miller in fact is moving their showroom out of Merchandise Mart to Fulton Market.  Bold move, since pretty much everyone in contract furniture is at the mart.   Now back to Medical Mile....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mpchicago said:

^^^Saw that the other day.^^^   Fulton Market is on fire.   Herman Miller in fact is moving their showroom out of Merchandise Mart to Fulton Market.  Bold move, since pretty much everyone in contract furniture is at the mart.   Now back to Medical Mile....

Knoll moved out of the Mart last year, its a trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Two James Spirits, based out of Detroit, is opening a tasting room at 740 Michigan St NE. Very excited for that, they make some great spirits. 

Talked to a person at 7 monks and they said it will be IN 7 monks. On that East wing of the building.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

Talked to a person at 7 monks and they said it will be IN 7 monks. On that East wing of the building.  

That makes complete sense. I didn't think there were any vacancies in the building, and those businesses will complement each other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

IN 7 monks. On that East wing of the building.  

Makes sense, there is a kubby/nook on the east end of the building that must be a pain to service.  I wondered from the jump it was meant to partitioned as a conference room, etc...

This will be a nice new bit of variety in Midtown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Two James "tasting room" that serves cocktails and has a bar confuse anyone else.? Is this going to be like the Grand Traverse tasting room in the DT market or more of a bar atmosphere? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

Does Two James "tasting room" that serves cocktails and has a bar confuse anyone else.? Is this going to be like the Grand Traverse tasting room in the DT market or more of a bar atmosphere? 

If it is anything like their Detroit location it'll have more of a bar feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.