Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

On 2/22/2020 at 11:18 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

I'm seeing more places going up for sale between College and Diamond lately.

The car wash across the street from 7 Monks Brewery is the newest. Seems like a really nice establishment whenever I drove past compared to other places. Guess they are going to go for a big payday while the market is hot?

Not sure what could ever go there. The building is in really good shape, but the environmental cleanup cost, if any, might keep it sitting for a minute.

IMO the car wash was VERY basic. I felt like I had a better wash down the street for the same price. I was curious how difficult it would be to turn that into something other than a car wash.  How much are they asking?

On 2/23/2020 at 12:35 PM, getemngo said:

I noticed that, too. The car wash was built in fall 2013, so I can't see the building being replaced anytime soon.

I wouldn't want to compete against Mister Car Wash or Tommy's Express. They're blowing up the market right now and you can buy monthly passes and get your car washed at any of their locations. Pretty nice. 

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I could never figure out why the city allowed that car wash to be built there, it doesn't fit at all into the "master plan" for that stretch.   It's a very suburban type of operation/building.

There was hubbub I remember. The city was trying to greatly restrict businesses with drive throughs and that's basically one big drive through.

7 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Right, remember they shot down the Starbucks drive thru building next to McDonald's that Terra Firma  and Kamell Chamelly where working on. 

I was near Carlton and Fulton the other day and thinking that the mixed use project on the corner could have been a gas station. Remember that? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yuk, first impression an old prison building with the small window ports.Maybe they got a good deal on wall panel rejects. All it needs is the galvanized parking ramp screening over the window areas.  Although I just commented on too much glass on the redo of the DeVos Family Building, this "mottled" wall looks like crap to me.  I'm not impressed with the north side screening of the parking ramp either. It has a prison look also with all the galvanized looking screening, maybe that's where the "inmates" can exercise during the day  :P

Edited by Raildude's dad
Additonal comments LOL
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Facade of the GVSU building. Don’t know how I feel about it. Reminds me of an enlarged version of a suburban craftsmen style McMansion? The scale feels really off to me, but as with everything, maybe it’ll make more sense (or not) when it’s finished. Thoughts?

C84DEC29-2FA5-458B-9C6C-46F052E5FB0D.jpeg

Yeah, it struck me as jarring right away as well; hadn't been down that way in a couple of weeks.
I suppose like most things it will feel entirely normal and I won't notice by the end of summer.
Sad mostly that it seems unlikely anything will be built next to it, in front of that parking ramp (Ugh!), anything soon. :(

We knew how ugly this building would be. They tried to make it an extension of the CHS building while transitioning to the new standard design language of the university and it came out looking like a dumpster fire in the side-by-side. GVSU's decision making is questionable at best and this architectural blunder is just a representation of that.

• Like 3

I walked by it a couple weeks ago and thought that it looked better than I expected lol.  Though I typically don't think a lot of the buildings that go up are nearly as bad as the group does.   I must have very little understanding of what constitutes architectural good taste.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I walked by it a couple weeks ago and thought that it looked better than I expected lol.  Though I typically don't think a lot of the buildings that go up are nearly as bad as the group does.   I must have very little understanding of what constitutes architectural good taste.  

I have no issue with the building itself, had it been a completely separate building. The issue is that they connected it to CHS and then even extended a small part of the design language into it and then went all in on the new design language. This specific design would have looked better across the highway near Finkelstein Hall.

1 minute ago, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

image.png.246a08dda8bd5fe10cd70f787944d0e6.png

Looks like Spectrum is planning on adding three levels of parking and a roof to this parking garage. 

:tw_flushed: That parking ramp has been a small claims liability for over a decade. It was never designed to last as long as it has. I'm amazed they would add to it unless they plan on repairing what they have now.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:05 AM, joeDowntown said:

Facade of the GVSU building. Don’t know how I feel about it. Reminds me of an enlarged version of a suburban craftsmen style McMansion? The scale feels really off to me, but as with everything, maybe it’ll make more sense (or not) when it’s finished. Thoughts?

C84DEC29-2FA5-458B-9C6C-46F052E5FB0D.jpeg

9695FC21-51D6-4F43-A169-7F3E996D4D23.jpeg

I noticed that a few weeks ago, that the material is very similar to the library out on the Allendale campus:

SHW_GVSU_9_9_13_0001-fused-dc2__2_.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 1:37 PM, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

image.png.246a08dda8bd5fe10cd70f787944d0e6.png

Looks like Spectrum is planning on adding three levels of parking and a roof to this parking garage. 

I heard GRCC's ramp is nearing the end of it's usable life and they were looking to partner with Spectrum for a fairly large project.  Not sure where that stands or if this is their solution?

On 4/15/2020 at 12:14 PM, Floyd_Z said:

I heard GRCC's ramp is nearing the end of it's usable life and they were looking to partner with Spectrum for a fairly large project.  Not sure where that stands or if this is their solution?

Maybe they need to add another patient  tower to handle  Covid19 patients. 

We were going to use it for parking during the covid crisis because the students were out and we wanted staff to park close to the hospital. outside of that, no plans afaik

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

:tw_flushed: That parking ramp has been a small claims liability for over a decade. It was never designed to last as long as it has. I'm amazed they would add to it unless they plan on repairing what they have now.
you sure you don't mean the south ramp that runs along fountain? That's the South ramp and when the new ramp gets the three floors and a roof than the South ramp will come down

I think you're thinking of the South ramp that runs along Barclay and Fountain. Once ramp6 gets three floors and a roof the South ramp will come down.