Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I noticed A Priority Health sign on The building on Ottawa (across from the arena). I thought that was a spectrum IT building. Maybe they’re using the abundant signage to promote health insurance? :)

Joe

Maybe they're about to rebrand the whole organization as Priority Health...  :ph34r:

The branding has been like that for at least five years, IIRC (I worked there from 2015-2018). The delivery side (Spectrum) is blue and payer (Priority) is green. My team at Spectrum worked on projects for both, and we'd refer to them as "blue", "green", or "teal" (combined).

When I worked at 25 Ottawa, the big logo on the building was for a financial company that occupied less than 20% of the building. So those logos are definitely more for marketing than to identify which employees work there.

My hunch (no insider info, not even outdated) is that we'll see more of a marketing push for Priority in the future. There's simply more room for them to grow (especially on the east side of the state); it's already basically impossible to be anywhere in the GR area and not see a Spectrum logo somewhere in your frame of vision.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2020 at 6:10 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Anyone know why there's a big Priority Health sign on the new GVSU parking ramp? Facing the highway. 

20200420_162051.thumb.jpg.ffaa1bcd449d70771733a57b07acaf29.jpg

The other end says Spectrum health so this makes sense.  Also, I wouldn't be surpised to see some of the patient facing PH work (medicare advantage enrollment) move to medical mile.

On 4/27/2020 at 6:32 AM, grandrollerz said:

The other end says Spectrum health so this makes sense.  Also, I wouldn't be surpised to see some of the patient facing PH work (medicare advantage enrollment) move to medical mile.

Huh? The other end does not say Spectrum. Priority is the only sign up, and the other space will have a sign for GVSU. 

18 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Huh? The other end does not say Spectrum. Priority is the only sign up, and the other space will have a sign for GVSU. 

I could be wrong, but I think they are referring to this sign. Meaning it would be silly to have two Spectrum Health signs so close together along the highway.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Actually seems like that would be against sign ordinances. I know they’re affiliated but it’s basically a billboard for an insurance company. 

Joe

Not sure if this is the case here, but public universities (typically) do not have to comply with local zoning (which usually includes sign standards). 

4 hours ago, demhem said:

Not sure if this is the case here, but public universities (typically) do not have to comply with local zoning (which usually includes sign standards). 

Right, hence the comically large Finklestein signs on GVSU and GRCC (no zoning). I'm actually a fan of signage, just wondered if it's skirting the rules a bit?

Joe

On 4/25/2020 at 1:25 PM, joeDowntown said:

Photos from today. There’s some interesting iron work on the southeast corner of the building. Hard to explain, but it isn’t a simple “box”. 

40498AA0-B46B-466B-AE59-60073C4354E3.jpeg

A70B470D-170F-48EA-94D8-3EDE2F5A5A65.jpeg

5BEAA5A0-B10B-4A3D-ACFE-F61AEDE77A6F.jpeg

Steel's going up fast on this project. At least 4 or 5 floors are up now. 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, mpchicago said:

Nice! The footprint didn't look to be as large as I was thinking but then I looked at the plans again and it's an L-shaped building. 

image.png.c0cea1e2022cd53d0c063a180c1762

image.thumb.png.94d65057bc3e6f320aedf218

• 1 month later...

I'm not impressed with the north side screening of the parking ramp either. It has a prison look also with all the galvanized looking screening, maybe that's where the "inmates" can exercise during the day  [emoji14]

Pretty sure the screening is a suicide prevention measure. Most car parks seem to have them now. I wouldnt be surprised if it were a FGI requirement at the state level (https://fgiguidelines.org/) .

I was working at United Way in 2008-ish, when a woman jumped from the top of the Cherry and Commerce ramp. That led to the installation of the black iron fencing on the top level of that ramp and several other city of GR ramps.

Many of the other facades of the current ramp are meant to have adjoining buildings so will look somewhat unfinished for a while.

side note, construction on Ramp 4 on Barclay began last week, and the SH/GVSU lot is open to some parking, but not all.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/spectrum-health-closes-on-another-property-along-medical-mile

I want to say this location used to be a grocery store waaay back in the day? anyone have any info on that property?  This just about locks up the whole corner.  The lone house behind the old mobile gas station is the holdout i think.