Jump to content

joeDowntown

Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

IIRC, these buildings are just outside the boundaries. 

The look inside to me.  The definition of the Norther border of the preservation district is "Southern property lines of Michigan Street.".
That does suck for the owners, although still makes them perfect rental units given Medical Mile's job density.

Double good for those of us north of MIchigan/I-196 as the museum-zone created by Heritage Hill will push development to the north.

heritage-hill0001.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

Windows are going in on the old Eastern school building.

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question. Is this the brick building on Fuller?

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, Raildude's dad said:

Eastern School is on Eastern (LOL) north of Michigan north of I-196  in a residential neighborhood. Sold by GRPS  a number of years ago.  

LOL. I was thinking of the building on Fuller that used to be a school. 

The windows look great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 8:06 PM, Raildude's dad said:

Fuller south of Fulton, west side?

That's the old Baldwin Christian School. The school migrated to Mayfield, then to Creston (now Wellspring Academy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Creston Christian 1955-1965, my dad went to Creston Christian when it was located on Leonard across the street from St Alphonsis. The 2-story apartment complex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 11:34 AM, Raildude's dad said:

I went to Creston Christian 1955-1965, my dad went to Creston Christian when it was located on Leonard across the street from St Alphonsis. The 2-story apartment complex

Same place my in-laws went. But for HS, they went to Creston; it was in walking distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always loved this building, but it's probably not the highest/best use of the property with its location next to VAI and the Medical Mile. There's a rendering of a really cool, quite tall flatiron-style building on this site. Would be cool to see the high rise concept reborn. I believe it was Visbeen who did the rendering I saw. No asking price on the listing? Anyone know if there is a price somewhere in the MLS?   https://www.crexi.com/properties/466357/michigan-cornerstone-apartments

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KCorner said:

I've always loved this building, but it's probably not the highest/best use of the property with its location next to VAI and the Medical Mile. There's a rendering of a really cool, quite tall flatiron-style building on this site. Would be cool to see the high rise concept reborn. I believe it was Visbeen who did the rendering I saw. No asking price on the listing? Anyone know if there is a price somewhere in the MLS?   https://www.crexi.com/properties/466357/michigan-cornerstone-apartments

Very cool looking building!  Will be interesting to see what it goes for.  Also fun to spot one of the prints I sell out in the wild in the dining room photo :) . 

(a version of https://www.greatlakesprintshop.com/product-page/grand-rapids-1868 if you're curious.  #shoplocal ;)  #theholidaysarecomingup)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always loved this building as well. Interesting that it’s used as an Airbnb right now.  Slightly surprised VAI hasn’t snapped it up. 

Joe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KCorner said:

I've always loved this building, but it's probably not the highest/best use of the property with its location next to VAI and the Medical Mile. There's a rendering of a really cool, quite tall flatiron-style building on this site. Would be cool to see the high rise concept reborn. I believe it was Visbeen who did the rendering I saw. No asking price on the listing? Anyone know if there is a price somewhere in the MLS?   https://www.crexi.com/properties/466357/michigan-cornerstone-apartments

That rendering has always excited me. Height there would be very good for the skyline and density on the north side of downtown would be a huge plus. Get away from the sterile feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of photos from today. Also, they opened the skatepark just north of 96 on Monroe. Probably 100 people skating. A great addition!

5FAAF340-4685-4610-8B3C-C9B5F3F018B6.jpeg

14295947-5D1B-41B8-9B05-B666D0D79E2F.jpeg

2BAE3F11-8A3F-4169-BB90-0F0169FE3419.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is (eventually) bad news for Allegan County, but if I was a pharmaceutical company in MI I can't think of any other place I'd rather be. It seems like a shame that the government had to hand over $2 million as part of the deal. This isn't Flint, for Christ's sake.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2020/10/perrigo-building-448m-headquarters-in-grand-rapids-plans-for-170-new-jobs.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 54equalsunity said:

This is (eventually) bad news for Allegan County, but if I was a pharmaceutical company in MI I can't think of any other place I'd rather be. It seems like a shame that the government had to hand over $2 million as part of the deal. This isn't Flint, for Christ's sake.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2020/10/perrigo-building-448m-headquarters-in-grand-rapids-plans-for-170-new-jobs.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

Do you really think it will hurt Allegan County that much? I think most of the white-collar people there don't live in Allegan County, and commute there. I know several who commute from Byron Center area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

https://grbj.com/news/manufacturing/perrigo-moving-its-north-american-hq-downtown/

I thought there was going to be a "liner" building along Monroe but this looks like additional parking ramp floors. 

1840233794_Perrigo2.JPG.14e73489399ec10b757e0a6b2998812d.JPG

So wait, is Perrigo moving into the under construction building along Michigan, or this new building on Monroe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

49 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Do you really think it will hurt Allegan County that much? I think most of the white-collar people there don't live in Allegan County, and commute there. I know several who commute from Byron Center area. 

I don't think it will have a significant impact on Allegan County unless Perrigo starts divesting/moving their core operations which accounts for the lions share of their job base there. 

I think this is a significant puzzle piece for downtown and Grand Rapids to continue it's transition/growth toward the future .  I've long thought it was only a matter of time before Perrigo made the decision to exit Allegan.   Big company HQ's are consolidating to more attractive population centers pretty much everywhere right now.   I think it's a huge win that they've decided to stay in the region, and a multi billion $ pharm company planting themselves on the mile can only help to  elevate the regional profile in general.   

I also think it's just  a matter of time before other massive corporate players in the rural/less attractive parts of the state look to move HQ's to more desirable areas as well (ie Kellogg's, Whirlpool, Consumers Energy etc.)  The state would be remiss to not provide them incentive to stay within it's borders. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

So wait, is Perrigo moving into the under construction building along Michigan, or this new building on Monroe?

New building along Monroe. Looks like it will go slightly East as well, over top of the parking ramp they just built. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

New building along Monroe. Looks like it will go slightly East as well, over top of the parking ramp they just built. 

Beautiful! Is that portion under construction? I assumed they were just building the ramp and building on to it later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.