joeDowntown

Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

Just now, Cookin_peacocks said:

Beautiful! Is that portion under construction? I assumed they were just building the ramp and building on to it later.

This building is not yet under construction.

Y'all there appears to be a discrepancy between the two renderings we have here.  The first rendering show's the view point on Monroe looking south which show's the building lining the new garage south to east making it appear to be built on top of the existing research center. 

50537785721_da5bd2fe60_n.jpg

The second rendering pictured from the point of view of the Morton shows the building lining the ramp going north to east along the freeway side,which is MUCH more logical. 

50537061313_e401200452_n.jpg

My assumption is that both of these renderings are just conceptual and we have yet to see what the finished product will look like.  Was any timeline put forth?

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

Y'all there appears to be a discrepancy between the two renderings we have here.  The first rendering show's the view point on Monroe looking south which show's the building lining the new garage south to east making it appear to be built on top of the existing research center. 

50537785721_da5bd2fe60_n.jpg

The second rendering pictured from the point of view of the Morton shows the building lining the ramp going north to east along the freeway side,which is MUCH more logical. 

50537061313_e401200452_n.jpg

My assumption is that both of these renderings are just conceptual and we have yet to see what the finished product will look like.  Was any timeline put forth?

No, this is how the building is laid out (relatively speaking)

) Yellow is the angle from the first rendering, as if you're driving on 196. 

) Green is the angle from the second rendering, as if you just walked out of Atwater Brewing and looked Northeast

) Red is the Perrigo building built partially on top of the parking ramp in black

) Blue is the innovation center under construction

You can't really see the innovation center in either rendering. The second rendering, MSU med center is at the far right. 

1696953276_Perrigoaerial.thumb.png.435f506ac916ce1edaad066cfd6750f8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mpchicago said:

More than ever, the city needs to move forward on completing the Calder Plaza plan as a bridge to connect this area with the downtown core.   Furthermore the city should consider opening up the wall at the SE corner of Michigan and Monroe with some stairs to connect directly with Calder Plaza.  

Here is another vantage from NW corner of Monroe and Michigan

QZQORANWS5GBXFO7ENI3GAO3LQ.jpg

I could not agree with you more.  The whole government center ramp/complex and city hall and the county building are pretty outdated.  It seems like it would be easy enough to  sell that SE corner to a developer.  I don't think city hall or the county building will be going anywhere soon, they keep dumping money into them.  City offices are spread all over, it would be nice to have one central location.  That whole stretch of Ottawa b/w Michigan and Lyon is gross.

I am pretty excited for this project though, I think it will help spur future development north of the highway.  Doesn't MSU own that old quality auto parcel?  This and the future Spectrum offices will help eliminate some "dead zones"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

No, this is how the building is laid out (relatively speaking)

) Yellow is the angle from the first rendering, as if you're driving on 196. 

) Green is the angle from the second rendering, as if you just walked out of Atwater Brewing and looked Northeast

) Red is the Perrigo building built partially on top of the parking ramp in black

) Blue is the innovation center under construction

You can't really see the innovation center in either rendering. The second rendering, MSU med center is at the far right. 

Ahhhh- Thank you for the correction it makes so much more sense now!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I could not agree with you more.  The whole government center ramp/complex and city hall and the county building are pretty outdated.  It seems like it would be easy enough to  sell that SE corner to a developer.  I don't think city hall or the county building will be going anywhere soon, they keep dumping money into them.  City offices are spread all over, it would be nice to have one central location.  That whole stretch of Ottawa b/w Michigan and Lyon is gross.

I am pretty excited for this project though, I think it will help spur future development north of the highway.  Doesn't MSU own that old quality auto parcel?  This and the future Spectrum offices will help eliminate some "dead zones"

Yes, the own the entire mini-block there up to 600 Monroe and over to Icon. 

Here's a video with some more images and a flyby:

https://s3.eu-west-3.amazonaws.com/perrigo.com/perrigo_com_assets/article-videos/Perrigo_North_American_Corporate_HQ_1.mp4

Sorry, flyby is in this video about 38 seconds into it:

https://wzzm13.com/embeds/video/69-73b6db46-af2c-46a3-b3cf-bfc12892fed4/iframe

• Like 2

Wow. I saw the renderings yesterday (I like the building), but I missed the fact that Perrigo is moving their HQ downtown (had moved off the page). This is big news and should be a REALLY solid anchor for medical mile / the research facilities (both MSU and VAI). That's amazing news!

Joe

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mpchicago said:

CWD was talking about attracting a new global headquarters to a renovated Fifth Third Center.   I wonder if they where in the running for the Perrigo headquarters?

I was thinking the exact same thing today.

So to be clear, the first seven floors aren't just an extension of the parking ramp are they?  I know it looks different from the top three floors.

It would be kind of silly to go in and cut all that precast they just put in.

EDIT:  Nevermind looks like it is in fact parking judging by the flyover video.

Edited by Floyd_Z

I’m confused by what you’re asking. Are the first 7 floors parking? No, from the articles I’ve read. It sounds like Perrigo is taking the top 3 floors, and they’re looking for other tenants for the rest of the space (it’s a 10 story building):

Perrigo will occupy the top three-floors of the building, and floors two through seven will be available for other tenants, he said. At this time, no other tenants have been recruited for the space. The building will include shared amenities on the first-floor.”

Joe

• Like 1