Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

2 hours ago, deja vu said:

Crain's just did an article on MSU's Innovation Park. It includes a recent aerial view of the campus, with the u/c Doug Meijer Building -

Old%20Grand%20Rapids%20Press%20Building.

I sure do miss this building....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was surprised to see this project pop back up on the radar and actually pass. I’m sure the neighbors are furious:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/30-unit-apartment-development-near-medical-mile-approved-over-neighborhood-concerns

I think the PC is a little weary of denying any housing projexts given the current demand and pressures,

20 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was surprised to see this project pop back up on the radar and actually pass. I’m sure the neighbors are furious:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/30-unit-apartment-development-near-medical-mile-approved-over-neighborhood-concerns

I am a bit surprised it passed.  It raises the question: what won't?
It is interesting enough to merit a BLOG post IMO;   I've downloaded and read through all the letters, etc...
I'm an unapologetic YIMBY, yet feel if I was on the PC I might have voted "no".  This site really raises the question what all those "plans" are worth, and why we have all these meetings which we ask people to sit through if, then, 'meh, whatever, sure'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whitemice said:

I am a bit surprised it passed.  It raises the question: what won't?
It is interesting enough to merit a BLOG post IMO;   I've downloaded and read through all the letters, etc...
I'm an unapologetic YIMBY, yet feel if I was on the PC I might have voted "no".  This site really raises the question what all those "plans" are worth, and why we have all these meetings which we ask people to sit through if, then, 'meh, whatever, sure'.

I see your point, but I also think if the city has set a mandate to add more density, citizens being pissed about vacant land going away only goes so far. I can see why someone in the neighborhood would be annoyed by it, but in the end, they do live in the city and don’t own the land. I’m a little split on this one. 

It sounds like they made several changes to the building and site plan to accommodate some of the objections. So I think they did have an impact on the project (maybe not what they wanted, but still better than what was first proposed) . In my mind, they got a say in it, even if the outcome isn’t what they wanted  

Joe

I also think if the city has set a mandate to add more density,

That's the bug-a-boo:  Did they?  WhereWhen?   They did some studies, cool, taking that as a mandate is passive-aggressive governance by a group of people who talk about "conversation" and "community" all the live long day.  I worry this kind of thing may contribute to a backlash, and I'm already skeptical if the city's insistence on an "equity lens" is going to be unhelpful.  There's research that the general public doesn't respond well to that kind of framing; an economic development and fairness argument is less righteous, but more effective.  My own, admittedly anecdotal, experience aligns with that.

citizens being pissed about vacant land going away only goes so far

Totally agree.  Calling a vacant lot "greenspace" is bogus.

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

There are all kinds of high-density developments in low density residential areas.

And this development (1542 Michigan) is not high-density, it is solidly mid-density --- it's also right next to, an extension of,  exactly the same density. :)

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 12:39 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

Ultimately, I feel like not adding to the top of this is a huge missed opportunity. Spectrum is always growing and is locked in. It can't grow out much. I feel they could have grown up more, and it's more of an inevitability.

We own the football field across the street and plan to put something on it eventually.  What department/function would you put completely  cut off and put in siberia on the top of a parking ramp that is only connected via a hallway on the first floor? I'm all for making use of space, but sorry, there isn't a practical application for anything on top of that ramp.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

We own the football field across the street and plan to put something on it eventually.  What department/function would you put completely  cut off and put in siberia on the top of a parking ramp that is only connected via a hallway on the first floor? I'm all for making use of space, but sorry, there isn't a practical application for anything on top of that ramp.

Put the field on top of the ramp!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Don't do that. Don't take away my hopes and dreams for height 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

This was actually proposed by the Ilitches when they built Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit. They approached Cass Tech about buying their football stadium for a parking garage...with a football field on top of it. 

That’s exactly what MSOE in Milwaukee did.  They built the soccer field on the top of a 1-2 story parking garage. I thought it was the most innovative urban use of space I’d witnessed when I saw it a few years ago. 

Info from roofing contractor: http://www.tectaamerica.com/project/msoe-soccer-facility/

A45079BF-4BD3-423A-B63D-BDF9ADE0AE6D.jpeg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

That’s exactly what MSOE in Milwaukee did.  They built the soccer field on the top of a 1-2 story parking garage. I thought it was the most innovative urban use of space I’d witnessed when I saw it a few years ago. 

Info from roofing contractor: http://www.tectaamerica.com/project/msoe-soccer-facility/

A45079BF-4BD3-423A-B63D-BDF9ADE0AE6D.jpeg

Is that real grass?  

2 hours ago, wingbert said:

Is that real grass?  

Synthetic turf. But I think real gross would work. University of Phoenix stadium has basically a giant tray that can be moved in or out depending on facility and grass needs. So I think real grass would work just fine, costs might not be worth it though. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 3:21 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

I'm not sure when this happened, but the place we expected to be a laundromat, looks like it is going to become a restaurant with a bar instead.

20210419_151641.thumb.jpg.1452b64dfa2cbc0c7f51ceed4d396caf.jpg

building looks nice, though. Wonder if this front area is going to have outdoor seeting of some sort.

I was just thinking this town needed another taco place...