Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

So this building has it's 3 story architectural detail hidden at the end of a service alley and has windows blocked with structural steel.  I'm sorry but this building makes the old Press Building, City-County Bldg and the Federal  Bldg architectural master pieces.  Maybe it's because I was growing up when they were built.

If they wanted to do something architectural with the structural steel, do an exterior structural frame with building facade behind the steel. That would be something unique.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Coworker just went down there and was told by someone putting up fencing for the project it's 7.

Not saying you're wrong, just that's what she was told today as she went through there today.

I bet Nate is more knowledgeable than dude putting up fence.  :)

Joe

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I don't doubt that. Just telling ya what we heard from the construction guys!

Thanks for the clarification

A fence guy is not a construction guy. :P  

This project has been in the works for a loonnngggg time. 

Belknap-Housing-Project-GVSU-Third-Coast

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/gvsu-lot-in-grand-rapids-soon-becoming-affordable-housing-complex/

• 1 month later...

I hope not, I'm pretty sure the SH master plan calls for its demolition, which is why the parking structure behind it is unfaced.  I recall that this building was the Cook 5 & Dime at one time. I remember going there and getting Brachs Pick a Mix.  You can actually still hear the creaky wood floors inside the building, which I presume are original flooring from then.  I might be imagining that tho :-)

1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

I hope not, I'm pretty sure the SH master plan calls for its demolition, which is why the parking structure behind it is unfaced.  I recall that this building was the Cook 5 & Dime at one time. I remember going there and getting Brachs Pick a Mix.  You can actually still hear the creaky wood floors inside the building, which I presume are original flooring from then.  I might be imagining that tho :-)

The pocket park used to be a small drive through bank, IIRC

Speaking of Spectrum.  It looks like they are going to demolish ramp 6 (south of the one they added on to, Lyon/Ransom/Barclay.)

In it's place they will be building..............

A taller ramp.

9 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Speaking of Spectrum.  It looks like they are going to demolish ramp 6 (south of the one they added on to, Lyon/Ransom/Barclay.)

In it's place they will be building..............

A taller ramp.

I was just thinking how junky that ramp is and how close they gotta be to replacement for it.

Just wish they would build up on top of these ramps

On 11/12/2021 at 8:45 AM, NoDustBusterNoMore said:image.thumb.png.3dc3fde098a19bb064b6ab8a5dd62258.png

Anyone out there particularly fond of this building? 

Every time I drive by it I think it’s days are numbers. I just assume it will become more parking ramp space or specialty offices, same with the building and surface lot across the street. SH has a building boom about every decade, this time it looks like it’ll happen in Monroe North, but the Cook Institute has got to meet the wrecking ball soon.

9 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

Every time I drive by it I think it’s days are numbers. I just assume it will become more parking ramp space or specialty offices, same with the building and surface lot across the street. SH has a building boom about every decade, this time it looks like it’ll happen in Monroe North, but the Cook Institute has got to meet the wrecking ball soon.

You may be on to something here... :tw_wink:

Not a ramp, and something right around the official GR height.

image.png.1439b6d82b0b18d4bb1de076617e121a.png

Edited by NoDustBusterNoMore
Found a rendering.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2