Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

4 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

There appears to be something about to take place with the home @715 Michigan St. NE and 709 (I think I got that address right). There is a singular fence around both buildings (One home and one storefront), and the sign out front is Orion Construction.

I saw that too.  They applied for a demo permit and it said they intended to rebuild, no idea what though.

3 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

They'd be smart to add air rights, but what would you put there? And would it interfere with the aeromed copters?

They really should!  That's what I said about the addition to the last one.  Tthe views up there are probably fantastic of both heritage hill and downtown.  Maybe build some employee housing as an incentive rather than $5000 bonuses?

I'm not sure about the FAA rules.  It seems like the chopper always comes in from the west.  The JW helipad is used quite a bit and its sandwiched between the Amway and Plaza towers, so I do think it would be much of an issue

19 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I saw that too.  They applied for a demo permit and it said they intended to rebuild, no idea what though.

They really should!  That's what I said about the addition to the last one.  Tthe views up there are probably fantastic of both heritage hill and downtown.  Maybe build some employee housing as an incentive rather than $5000 bonuses?

I'm not sure about the FAA rules.  It seems like the chopper always comes in from the west.  The JW helipad is used quite a bit and its sandwiched between the Amway and Plaza towers, so I do think it would be much of an issue

The JW helipad is for one of the DeVos. It's his and his only. It's pretty crazy they added that just for him to fly his private copter

• 3 weeks later...

Cook building on the corner  is coming down imminently.  City was there last week doing something something sewer and power. Emails went to staff about it and the impact on Lafayette traffic.  I'm avoiding that, already borked, intersection for the near future.  It really needs a reconfiguration.  At 630am and pm, staff coming and going is a bit of a mess.

On 5/22/2022 at 10:08 AM, grandrollerz said:

Cook building on the corner  is coming down imminently.  City was there last week doing something something sewer and power. Emails went to staff about it and the impact on Lafayette traffic.  I'm avoiding that, already borked, intersection for the near future.  It really needs a reconfiguration.  At 630am and pm, staff coming and going is a bit of a mess.

Exciting. At 11 stories, the new facility will be one of the tallest on Medical Mile. HDVCH is 14 but it's down the hill a bit. :)

image.png.38e5f11ab4e172998400c208179e3a

Current street life:

https://goo.gl/maps/V4NubJe1SXo6LC9U9

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 10:08 AM, grandrollerz said:

There was a fence around this site on Saturday. Wonder if it's gone already. :)

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

There was a fence around this site on Saturday. Wonder if it's gone already. :)

It didn't look like it as of yesterday.  Maybe they're still doing some interior demo?

7 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Seems like there would be some salvage value in 4 roof top AC units rather than just demoing them. I assume they were all working before they closed up shop there. With long lead times on everything, I would think a good working used unit would make a good repair option.

Ok. T thank you! I was thinking the same thing! They didn’t even take down the blinds! I wonder what else was salvageable. We can’t just go bury it, we’re running out of holes in the ground. 

21 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Seems like there would be some salvage value in 4 roof top AC units rather than just demoing them. I assume they were all working before they closed up shop there. With long lead times on everything, I would think a good working used unit would make a good repair option.

That is pretty crazy. Watch, when they open the new building, they’ll brag about it being a triple-gold something something LEED standard, environmentally friendly building. ;)

Honestly seems like a miss on both Spectrum and the demo company. It is surprising in this market that they wouldn’t have a decent value. 

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I recall it is going to be replaced with a power and heat co-generation plant/facility.  Not sure if there will be parking too, maybe?  something something water related too. we use a lot of water for cooling in the MRI/CT space.  something about our environmental goals...but this plant is meant to further them and also provide some redundancy to municipal something something.  can't quite remember all the details.

and the Cook building is no more.  Crane going up end of July, early August for all you nerds out there.  Top out in Oct 2023 I think...opens spring 2024.

IMG_1059.jpg

Edited by grandrollerz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this is super disappointing. I really liked these trees. Broke up that dull wall.

PXL_20220708_153223013.jpg

Those trees provided shade and made that walk bearable. Why would you do this!?

1 hour ago, demhem said:

Those trees provided shade and made that walk bearable. Why would you do this!?

I'd like to think that this is a precursor to a massive overhaul to that block and such. It's an eyesore and the county and city halls should be redone. Combined even.

It wont happen (for a while at least) but man is that block just awful. Absolutely useless for the most part. 

Yeah they've been cutting them down the trees the past few days, ugh I was pretty pissed.  It looked they were lifting some equipment to the roof of the ugly federal building for a few weeks, maybe that's related?

I agree that block really needs to go, there's just so much wasted space.  The buildings are obselete and the county/city building is particularly confusing.  The government center ramp has a super low clearance, is crumbling and has very poor handicap access with no elevators.  City hall and county building were built for the 1960s city and county populations and services.  Now staff is spread out all over.  It would be great if they would consolidate everything into one large building.  Make a larger city hall in North Monroe or something.  Move all the county services to the Fuller property.

1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

I agree that block really needs to go, there's just so much wasted space.  The buildings are obselete and the county/city building is particularly confusing.  The government center ramp has a super low clearance, is crumbling and has very poor handicap access with no elevators.  City hall and county building were built for the 1960s city and county populations and services.  Now staff is spread out all over.  It would be great if they would consolidate everything into one large building.  Make a larger city hall in North Monroe or something.  Move all the county services to the Fuller property.

Good God, every time someone mentions that the preservationists lose their minds over losing the Calder painting on top of the county building that no one can see. 

9 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this is super disappointing. I really liked these trees. Broke up that dull wall.

PXL_20220708_153223013.jpg

I would guess it's a precursor to the Calder Plaza renovation FINALLY happening? With the city's aggressive plans to plant thousands of trees, I can't imagine they'd just cut down these trees randomly. 

• Like 1