Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

• 2 weeks later...

16 hours ago, wingbert said:

I’ve seen worse renderings.  And, at 12 stories, it’s perfect for Grand Rapids

It will definitely add to the dense feeling of Michigan.  It looks like the parking ramp across from Michigan will be their next building site with the skywalk showing "to future development".

It will add to the skyline and add to the "entering kind of big city" vibe you get driving WB on I-196 from the east..

Anyone know if the track will be replaced after it's used for staging for the new ramp?

43 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

It will definitely add to the dense feeling of Michigan.  It looks like the parking ramp across from Michigan will be their next building site with the skywalk showing "to future development".

It will add to the skyline and add to the "entering kind of big city" vibe you get driving WB on I-196 from the east..

Anyone know if the track will be replaced after it's used for staging for the new ramp?

The track? 

Could that skywalk just be connecting to the existing building at 230 Michigan? 

1497784101_Michiganstskywalk.thumb.jpg.1ce6eb011774be5d7b27a31eeaccc45f.jpg

13 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Wasn't it originally going to be 11?

Could be 11, could be 12. Depending on if that ground floor level is double height. 

Edit: scratch that. Spectrum's own release on that says 11 stories. 

On 7/22/2022 at 8:47 AM, GRDadof3 said:

The track? 

Could that skywalk just be connecting to the existing building at 230 Michigan? 

1497784101_Michiganstskywalk.thumb.jpg.1ce6eb011774be5d7b27a31eeaccc45f.jpg

Could be 11, could be 12. Depending on if that ground floor level is double height. 

Edit: scratch that. Spectrum's own release on that says 11 stories. 

Ahh yeah that could be.  While they're at it, they should add a skywalk to the GVSU building/new ramp.

The walking/running track to the south of here that's owned by Spectrum near CC

Drawings I’ve seen definitely show a skywalk to the gvsu building as we are co tenants in a parking condo with them there.  On the backside. 

The most likely scenario  with the track is that area becomes a modern emergency medicine building. The ED is old and has run out of space. It’s no longer feasible or practical to renovate that part of the building. 

i know the dozens of people who used the track loved it, but i don’t think it will ever be back. Sorry 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

Any renderings of the ramp to replace it?

Found this one:

" We are excited to announce a new eight-level ramp with nearly 1,000 parking spaces will be built on the same site and will open in the summer of 2024. The capacity of the current ramp is 495 spaces."

image.png.252ee78b1aca7dfe3c76be4a66787970.png

Edited by grandrollerz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

Found this one:

" We are excited to announce a new eight-level ramp with nearly 1,000 parking spaces will be built on the same site and will open in the summer of 2024. The capacity of the current ramp is 495 spaces."

:blink:

5 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Found this one:

Glad to see this finally get the green light. My daughter worked on the design, and they were having a helluva time designing it around the power generator. 

3 hours ago, Prankster said:

Glad to see this finally get the green light. My daughter worked on the design, and they were having a helluva time designing it around the power generator. 

Will there be anything on the ground floor?  or is that just faux transparency? 

17 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Will there be anything on the ground floor?  or is that just faux transparency? 

Power generation...and i want to say some sort or water treatment/reclamation but i could be misremembering.  The diesel generators for backup power were/are/will be located there, so what you see is lots of venting on the ground floor.

I don't know how many spots in total, but I can tell you there are at least 300 accessible parking spaces at the Medical Center alone. I asked because I was hoping to replace all of the "Handicapped" signs with the updated design and wording (Reserved) now that Michigan has finally passed legislation updating the old signs: https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/how-michigans-accessibility-signs-are-changing/  - the ADA says that one in six spots needs to be accessible so you could reasonably assume in excess of 2000, though that feels low considering the GVSU/SH ramp was 1220 spaces by itself.

Parking. It's the number 1 dissatisfier among staff. No lie. With the last Barclay ramp online, shuttling is now done:

Four years and several construction projects later, I am proud to announce that every employed team member who works onsite at the downtown Grand Rapids Medical Center and our Blodgett Hospital campus will have an assigned, safe and secure, onsite parking space as of August 15. The final day of our shuttle service will be Friday, August 12.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Erickson's trucks are onsite crane nerds....road closures posted:

Aug. 24 to Sept. 1

The first impact will be a lane closure on westbound Michigan Street from Aug. 24 to Sept. 1 to assemble a construction crane. A single lane will remain open along Westbound Michigan Street between Lafayette Avenue and Coit Avenue during this time.