Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

lets see who can get a picture with the most cranes in it! I don't know if you could get more than two.

:lol: That's funny that you mention it vexom. I was thinking the same thing. I'll see if jayblogger can spare 100 bonus points for this contest.

4 sites w/ cranes, now - correct?

That's right: Marriott, Art Museum, Lemmen Holton and Icon on Bond (should go up this week). Whoever can figure out a way to get at least 3 in one shot, 100 bonus points. Whoever gets all 4 in one shot, a free Oberon on me. :D You might need to rent chopper 8 for that one. :dontknow:

We also should see a 5th go up on the Western site of the medical complex relatively soon. :yahoo:

One of you guys needs to go to the Sunset Avenue lookout on the west side of town to get a nice pano with the cranes in the skyline! That would be fantastic!!

You know which location I am referring to...near the 196 freeway?

I do. :ph34r: You could probably get them all, although the Art Museum one might be too short to see from there :lol: You're eligible for the 100 points too Michi.

100 points? :blink:

Please tell me that is in thousands of dollars!

If I had it, I'd share it. :D

The X is correct. It is located in the elevator core that extends up through the office tower.

Thanks DC! Will they then surgically extract the crane once the elevator core is in place?

I was not aware of all this new development going on in Grand Rapids. Reading all these posts makes me even more excited to move up there later this summer! Now all they need to do is get the approvals for a light rail or trolley system and I will be thrilled.

I was not aware of all this new development going on in Grand Rapids. Reading all these posts makes me even more excited to move up there later this summer! Now all they need to do is get the approvals for a light rail or trolley system and I will be thrilled.

Here's a summary thread of all of them michaelskis:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19783

It's quite astonishing really, and we haven't even reached warp speed yet. Wait until this summer:

Demolition of the parking ramp at Spectrum to make way for the Children's Hospital

Vertical construction of Icon on Bond

Demolition of Xavier Hall at St Mary's Hospital

Hopefully construction underway at RiverHouse

2nd crane up at the Medical Complex

Marriott at 15 - 20 floors

Tall House underway

Metropolitan Apartments at vertical construction

The Fitzgerald under renovation

The Civic Theater finishing up

And hopefully a few other announcement by then. :whistling:

Dooinggg!!! :w00t:

Here's a summary thread of all of them michaelskis:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19783

It's quite astonishing really, and we haven't even reached warp speed yet. Wait until this summer:

Demolition of the parking ramp at Spectrum to make way for the Children's Hospital

Vertical construction of Icon on Bond

Demolition of Xavier Hall at St Mary's Hospital

Hopefully construction underway at RiverHouse

2nd crane up at the Medical Complex

Marriott at 15 - 20 floors

Tall House underway

Metropolitan Apartments at vertical construction

And hopefully a few other announcement by then. :whistling:

Dooinggg!!! :w00t:

Dad, I hate how you know things that are coming that no one else (for the most part) does!!!! you and your rolling eye whistle <_<

Dad, I hate how you know things that are coming that no one else (for the most part) does!!!! you and your rolling eye whistle <_<

I think "no one else" is not true. There are a couple of us here that know of "to be announced and proposed projects", but we've seen how the media and the public has shown themselves to be bad stewards of development info :whistling:

Michaelskis:

Check out the "Granholm and Legislature reach agreement on transportation funding" thread on the fixed guideway / transit rail initiative for the central portion of the metro area.

OK, back to construction topics. designcritic, I'm going to make an educated guess and say this is where the tower cranes are?:

135372685_71935f3c5a_o.jpg

Another question: Is Tower 3 (furthest West) going to be the hotel? It mentions something about a penthouse on the elevation drawings for the top of that building.

OK, back to construction topics. designcritic, I'm going to make an educated guess and say this is where the tower cranes are?:

Another question: Is Tower 3 (furthest West) going to be the hotel? It mentions something about a penthouse on the elevation drawings for the top of that building.

I had heard that the hotel was possibly slated for towers 1 or 2

I had heard that the hotel was possibly slated for towers 1 or 2

If you look closely at the light gray overlay upper floor plan for tower two, you can see that it is much more compartmentalized than tower one and three. Both 1 and 3 have just detailed cores for the elevators and bathrooms while it looks like tower 2 could have bedrooms and bathrooms.

Took a bit of a long lunchtime walk today and shot some photos of the site:

135438292_f5cda3ae95.jpg

Is it safe to assume that what we see below is underground parking?

135438268_c482b2fefd.jpg

You are correct. Level 4 sits on grade in this area and level 5 is currently being formed. Level 8 is the first floor of the Cancer Center so we have many parking levels to go before the building can even start contruction.

The following are responses to various posts:

Dad, you came within about 5 feet with each circle you drew. Move #2 north and CC east.

The penthouse would be the mechanical penthouse and each tower will have one.

My bet for the hotel would be Tower 2.

Tower 2 looks much more detailed because it was the first designed and thus the furthest along in the construction drawings. All will eventually have the same amount of detail at the first level.

Dad, you came within about 5 feet with each circle you drew. Move #2 north and CC east.

Rats! 5 feet's not bad. :blush: The CC one was easy since it's near and just West of the tunnel. The other was a bit harder, but I believe that's the elevator core in the overlay near my red circle.

Don't you guys have any 3D drawings of this complex? I haven't seen anything else released to the public, and these are kind of weak. :P I see they even have these drawings on the marketing banners at the site.

You are correct. Level 4 sits on grade in this area and level 5 is currently being formed. Level 8 is the first floor of the Cancer Center so we have many parking levels to go before the building can even start contruction.

Here's a cross section that illustrates how the floors are layed out in comparison to grade:

72962567_37763372f7_o.jpg

(sorry for the poor quality)

Planning Commission Packet - May 2005:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?binobjid=1862

Say what you want, but I am very thankful that the next generations of the dutch mafia families is showing signs of giving the way that their parents have for years. We are certainly fortunate to have people with this kind of money that are willing to give back to the community!

Hats off to the DeVos kids; Nice job and thanks! :thumbsup: