Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

It looks dramatically different, more like the rest of the complex. Bigger too. Wonder what happend?

The south elevation (at street edge) has stayed pretty much the same. The rendered elevation doesn't do it justice in regard to what areas are closer and what areas are set back. There is still the stepping feature as before on the south side. You can barely make out the steps in the elevation. The north elevation is much different due to the fact that the building no longer steps on that side. The main reason for the change was the need for more square footage.

Based on all the land-grabbing that VAI is doing along Division (Al & Sons, the old Mercantile location), and the connection to the Med School, I'm going to place a wager that the new Med School will be there. I drew up a little rendering for you guys. :P

Yes, that is a parking ramp to the right. If they own all that land, I can't see them spending the money to go UG parking. :( It's also very "academic" looking, but my skills are pretty limited (so far).

I don't know, these buildings are pretty old and should probably be preserved. :whistling:

147570155_ffc8349feb.jpg

A few years ago I almost bought the little green roof building on Cresent. Its obvious now that I should have. :cry:

147570153_2cd2d30d26.jpg

A few old VAI model shots...

147570152_137d46e6de.jpg

147570151_16fed04a5d.jpg

147570150_2f0d395d72.jpg

I don't know, these buildings are pretty old and should probably be preserved. :whistling:

147570155_ffc8349feb.jpg

So are you for or against historic preservation civitas? The building in your photo does have a lot of character to it, despite the strange additions that were made to it. I doubt it has any historic significance to it though. It was probably one of hundreds of commercial buildings built along Division back in the day.

I added a little more flair to my rendering:

147583503_08f3e30f85_b.jpg

The endcaps would be glass stair/elevator atriums. If anyone with Sketchup wants to play around with this file, send me a PM and I'll email it to you.

147583503_08f3e30f85_b.jpg

The endcaps would be glass stair/elevator atriums. If anyone with Sketchup wants to play around with this file, send me a PM and I'll email it to you.

GRDad,

The southern endcap is leaning a little. Did you want to bring in some European attributes with the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

:rofl: Just joking with ya. Thanks for taking the time to draw one up. Would like to make some time and dabble around with sketchup myself sometime. :whistling:

So are you for or against historic preservation civitas? The building in your photo does have a lot of character to it, despite the strange additions that were made to it. I doubt it has any historic significance to it though. It was probably one of hundreds of commercial buildings built along Division back in the day.

I'm generally for the preservation of significant buildings, but I'm against the preservation of run-of-the-mill old buildings that stand in the way of meaningful advancements. For instance, a new downtown medical school would justify the demolition of any building on this block (except, of course, for the church). The greater good far outweighs the loss of these buildings.

Nice job with SketchUp. You're going to become dangerous to the architectural profession :) .

A few years ago I almost bought the little green roof building on Cresent. Its obvious now that I should have. :cry:

147570153_2cd2d30d26.jpg

A few old VAI model shots...

I know the family that owns the green building, it's Harwood's Printing. It's been their forever. Apparently they don't own the land on which their building stands.

I think Division Crescent corner would be the best spot for the new med school.

GRDad,

The southern endcap is leaning a little. Did you want to bring in some European attributes with the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

:rofl: Just joking with ya. Thanks for taking the time to draw one up. Would like to make some time and dabble around with sketchup myself sometime. :whistling:

Actually, they both lean out over the street. It's just from that angle, you can't see the other one's lean.

I agree with you civitas. I DON"T think it should be black and white: "everything old must stay".

What about the ITP/Ellis lot across the street? Would that work as a possible location. It's a giant surface lot and it wouldn't require tearing anything else down.

That would be nice, but there's no indication that it will go on the Ellis lot. I'm just guessing here since VAI has purcased land/buildings along Division recently.

Here's my last sketchup. Can you tell I like Cook Devos Center?

147733702_8ab9691253_b.jpg