Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

If I recall the original VAI plan for phase III was for an attached office tower to the South of the building. Early speculation was for a decent sized tower - but I think as the project advanced phase III itself was scrapped. I believe it was something that the architect was pushing (for more visibility) than anything.

However, this would be an ideal location for the medical school,

I wonder what it would do for the scientists? If they are in need of inspiration, think about what a park with thoes types of objects could offer for an experience.

It would be a great respite from the 100 hour work weeks. Sit in the grass or on a bench, and enjoy the sounds of cascading waterfalls while looking out over the valley.....

canadaplacefountain.jpg

800px-Malcolm_X_Park.jpg

rockefeller_fountain_xmas_29nov03.jpg

Was downtown last night and caught a crew hoisting a giant boom crane in the Towers Bldg parking lot to erect the tower crane. AWESOME sight! Too bad I had no camera (and my wife didn't think it was as cool as I did :P )

Nice pics rleuthueser!

lol Jeff, that brings up an interesting thought, what does your wife think of the time you spend on this site? Is she all for it, or does she just roll her eyes and think you are a big nerd? My family lets me have it daily, I get the nerd vibes.

lol Jeff, that brings up an interesting thought, what does your wife think of the time you spend on this site? Is she all for it, or does she just roll her eyes and think you are a big nerd? My family lets me have it daily, I get the nerd vibes.

Of course she thinks I'm a total nerd. Although she is amazed at all the insider info I get before her, and she's in the AE industry. :lol:

Got some crane assembly shots today (get downtown, it's gorgeous out!)

149905972_45c81976ee_b.jpg

149905973_b76e125093_b.jpg

This crane was on the ground last night. I thought it had fallen over :(

149905976_a645a2b3a2_b.jpg

149905977_623c13fbfa_b.jpg

From Monroe and Icon on Bond

149905981_0eb93577af_b.jpg

Wow, this is the first time I've ever seen a tower crane assembled like that. Usually I see the horizontal section assembled about 30 feet off the ground, and then mechanically elevated up the tower.

They did the first tower crane at this site the same way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62831350@N00/...57594113125677/

^ Yah, that's awesome! You should have kept going to the right in a pano. :)

There's nothing but expressway to look at to the right.

To the left, however, I wonder when someone will tear this garden apartment building down and do something appropriate on one of the highest sites overlooking downtown.

150889256_267114b0e7.jpg

150739665_80b91391fa.jpg

I've been up there a number of times. Unfortunately, it's in a residential neighborhood. Houses, not density. I think any development up there would face a lot of opposition. Maybe if you bought up all the surrounding houses to get rid of the opposition, then resold them once the development is complete. ;)

-nb

I've been up there a number of times. Unfortunately, it's in a residential neighborhood. Houses, not density. I think any development up there would face a lot of opposition. Maybe if you bought up all the surrounding houses to get rid of the opposition, then resold them once the development is complete. ;)

-nb

That would be a travesty. Don't let Steve (bwindi25) even hear you breath a word about knocking down those old homes. I'm not saying that apartment building is valuable, but it would start a very bad domino effect on Belknap Hill.

Here are a couple of crane shots:

151241633_c03f06db06_b.jpg

151241634_91408ca8ee_b.jpg

I'm not advocating destruction of the homes up there. I'm just saying if you wanted to do something impressive with that apartment building you'd have to "buy off" the neighbors in some way or there will be incredible opposition.

I was suggesting actually buying the houses as sort of a joke. Buy them, build your development where the apartment building is with no opposition, then sell them again. The new buyers can't complain about an existing development, right? (Don't answer that, they can and do all the time.)

-nb

I'm not advocating destruction of the homes up there. I'm just saying if you wanted to do something impressive with that apartment building you'd have to "buy off" the neighbors in some way or there will be incredible opposition.

I was suggesting actually buying the houses as sort of a joke. Buy them, build your development where the apartment building is with no opposition, then sell them again. The new buyers can't complain about an existing development, right? (Don't answer that, they can and do all the time.)

-nb

I wouldn't expect much density if it were redeveloped. I would imagine home ownership with 8-12 rowhouses. It looks like there are 18 apartments today.

That neighborhood is fantastic and it is coming back. Nothing should happen to change its character, but reinvestment on that site could have a positive impact on the area.

I think what would look best there would be a large home/small mansion with architecture similar to the many homes around the SE part of downtown... the ones just south of wealthy near one of the hospitals

I don't remember the street by name I just know how to find it.. I always love driving down that road seeing the beautiful buildings.

Anyways, something like that up on that hill would look really cool.

Not to draw further attention to bwindi's hood, but something like this building could work well there. The height of the current building is maintained at the top, but then it burrows into the hill to take advantage of the topography and views:

DSC00686.JPG

This is not mine, but was in a Pittsburgh photo thread.