Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

The idea is decent, but that building just seems a bit ugly... and trying to picture something that would look nicer, at that spot, would just seem odd. That hill just always feels like it's on the edge of downtown, just away from all the tall building, which is why I picture an ornate house there.

It's not so much the look of that particular Pittsburgh complex, but the goals it accomplishes. It takes advantage of the hill to give more residents a great view and it doesn't block views of those around it.

But yes torgo, those cranes look good from every angle. I had to be at Spectrum today, and sitting in the cafe that overlooks Michigan and the two tower cranes perfectly, I kept wishing I had my camera on me. :lol:

Is that the slant on the floor you are talking about? I thought the bottom floors were parking garage. You'd need that slope for drainage.

I was only joking, but yes, that 3rd form has a dip in it in the middle. You could be right about that, or maybe they just haven't moved it up yet. :dontknow: I think those are concrete "crawlers", but that's just an edumacated guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new photos:

160975277_efb543a52b.jpg

160975337_f4496c9f7a.jpg

160975302_c6400c28bc.jpg

What's going to happen to the brown building in the middle of the construction site? Will it be remodeled to incorperating it into the complex or will it be demolished to make way for something else as construction continues?

The Towers Building will be demolished next year as construction progresses. A new building will be built in it's place.

More specifically, the first office tower financed by RDV/Christman will be erected immediately to the west of the temp parking lot next to the Towers Building. The core & shell contracts are being awarded this month and substantial completion is expected in March 2008. All tenant fitout must be completed so current Towers Building tenants can relocate to the new facility before demolition; I believe it will be late 2009 before the Towers Building no longer exists. (Demo of the building next to the brand-spanking new Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion will be interesting - there will be about 20' between the two structures.) Parking ramp will be constructed below grade to connect the two sections currently under construction, and the Towers Building replacement RDV/Christman offce building will then be erected on top of the parking ramp.

This has got be one of the most complicated construction projects in GR history (logistically speaking). Like a rubix cube moving this out the way, then that, then replacing it with that other thing, then back again. Maybe Devos Place was as complicated, but yikes! Thanks for the scoop rleuthueser.

• 2 weeks later...