Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Maybe I missed this, but does this project has an official name yet, or is that something coming down the road?

It's funny that you ask. I just called it the "RDV/Christman Medical Towers" on the forum because that's who is developing it: RDV Corporation and Christman Construction Company. But I've never actually seen it "officially" named that by the developers. But interestingingly, all the media outlets have picked up the name we use here. :lol:

The only portion that has an official name is the Lemmen Holton Cancer Pavilion at the East end of the project.

One more thing. Since there no longer seems to be a project page (page with basics) on this one, I was wondering how will be the tenants of the three towers, or if they are being built as speculative medical office buildings? I tried looking back through all 13 pages of this, but couldn't find anything. Grand Rapids' healthcare developments really make my mind spin as the names DeVos, Spectrum...all seem to run into each other after awhile. lol

One more thing. Since there no longer seems to be a project page (page with basics) on this one, I was wondering how will be the tenants of the three towers, or if they are being built as speculative medical office buildings? I tried looking back through all 13 pages of this, but couldn't find anything. Grand Rapids' healthcare developments really make my mind spin as the names DeVos, Spectrum...all seem to run into each other after awhile. lol

Join the club. It's a great mystery to most of us. There are basically three towers, in addition to the Cancer Pavilion. One will be Spectrum offices I guess, the other two are up in the air. One I've also heard might be a specialty hotel/lodging facility. I think they're also trying to rope in MSU's new College of Human Medicine research center.

if thats indeed the children's hospital, that white didgamathing will basically be a dressed up skywalk :blush: if there was one thing I could agree on, its this: The skyline is going to be even more obscured coming east down Michigan.

Edited by snoogit

Holy helluva skywalk! :blink: You're right, GRDad, that is very Calatrava-esque. I like it what I can see of that... so far...I think...

Perhaps the green spots on the retaining wall are plants?

Jet-black, though, isn't the first color one would think to use on a hospital.

I don't even know what to say. That new design is just... I don't know...

What is that thing? What is it doing? And Why?

Well said.

I don't understand it enough to have an opinion.

The images are crude and do not appear to be much more than a quick design study. "Hey Frank, the client wants a rendering by Friday for the fund raiser." "But boss, its Thursday afternoon."

I could comment on skywalks... :sick:

I think the problem is that its "Calatrava-esque" and not an actual Calatrava. The Calatravas and Gehrys and Hadids of the world are so precise and so distinctive that they can't be beautifully "-esqued". The proportions of the members of that "Calatrava-esque" bridge are way off and don't appear to even be functioning structurally, but rather applied as decoration to mimic the Spaniard's aesthetic. The thing with Calatrava's bridges is that you can see the structural diagram, are mystified that such slender pieces actual perform that diagram, and are in awe of the poetry of it all.

I think the jet black facade is to make the bridge stand out, basically its "CalderPlaza-esque".

Hey, i've got a great idea! Forget about the children in the hospital, let's make the pedestrian overpass the central focus of our design concept!

Personally, I love it. Sure it might not actually be calatrava, but honestly.. just look at it. Isn't it still beautiful? Does it not make you say wow? If that does get built, I can't wait to go and take hundreds of pictures of it. I wouldn't mind just chilling under that thing at sunset, with the sky ablaze with colours and the skywalk dancing with colours as well.

I agree the glass on the building could be a different colour, and the actual building could use some more work on it, but overall, I think that's an awesome direction they're taking.

Edited by tSlater

I don't like it. Its a big black glob. Whats the deal with the swiss-cheese ground floor? The skywalk situation is just obnoxious. Maybe if it were something other than a Children's hospital I could understand the design.

It certainly looks unusual if that is the updated design. It sure will make for head turning when coming into Downtown via Southbound 131 or 196. The coloring scheme for the lighting will make it quite visible and interesting. I'm assuming the play with color will have to be just right if this buildings is to retain a kid friendly atmosphere. Color will be really important.

Edited by Rizzo

Very modern. I'm not sure if it's art, but I like it.

If that is the final design of the hospital building, I would agree that it serves as a blank slate meant to direct the viewer's attention, to the bridge, and upwards to higher altitudes, as if reaching for the sky. Perhaps it represents hope for the unfortunate experiences for the children inside the hospital.

Whatever it means, it definitely diminishes the imposing cliff-like feeling that a 14-story building on top of a hill creates. Plus, it looks like a piece of chalk preparing to write on a blackboard.

As far as I'm concerned, if they're going to build a skywalk (and schmobvs, you know they will), do it with some panache. I quote Dr. Emmit Brown, "Marty, the way I see it, if you're going to build a time machine, why not do it with some style."

Imagine this poking up from the Plymouth neighborhood. Awesome.

I like it. Of course, skywalks are not the greatest in my book, but I think the architect is trying to create an inspiring entrance as people arrive. I'm sure they're assuming most people will park across the street at the new UG garage and take the skywalk over.

BTW: I do NOT know if this is the new design. I just found this on Jonathan Bailey's updated website. Also, the building shown here is only 10 or 11 floors if I count correctly.

http://www.jonathanbailey.com/

which is much more user friendly than it was previously. Makes you wonder if several lurkers around here took some of our advice?

Also, this is either the third or fourth iteration of this project:

devos_childrens5.jpg

devos_childrens4.jpg

devos_childrens3.jpg

devos_childrens.jpg

Since beergeek said something about revealing a new design this fall, its very possible that this is not the final design.

I like the pedestrian bridge idea, but it seems to just be "tacked" onto the black tower. Maybe if the the bridge "morph" into the tower (and vice versa) by extending the bridge members and free form shapes onto one side of the tower. There could also be some interest there if one side of the tower is free form and the other side ridgid.

I like it. Of course, skywalks are not the greatest in my book, but I think the architect is trying to create an inspiring entrance as people arrive. I'm sure they're assuming most people will park across the street at the new UG garage and take the skywalk over.

BTW: I do NOT know if this is the new design. I just found this on Jonathan Bailey's updated website. Also, the building shown here is only 10 or 11 floors if I count correctly.

http://www.jonathanbailey.com/

which is much more user friendly than it was previously. Makes you wonder if several lurkers around here took some of our advice?

nice music in the background :lol: