Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Wish the city would fix that e-packet feature!

Jeff, you indicate that the plan appears to deviate from the original Vinoly phase II? Does it still have the cascading window feature that appears on phase I? Does information provided indicate the architect of record?

Oh yeah, it still looks very much like the original Phase II and the current design, it's just narrower if you look at it from the West side, and has one added "rapid" floor mixed in. No word in the packet as to when it will kick off, however, they did seek an easement not long ago to construct a retaining wall along Crescent Park.

Sort of like this:

post-2672-1159313072_thumb.jpg

Does not mention architecture firm.

Oh yeah, it still looks very much like the original Phase II and the current design, it's just narrower if you look at it from the West side, and has one added "rapid" floor mixed in. No word in the packet as to when it will kick off, however, they did seek an easement not long ago to construct a retaining wall along Crescent Park.

Sort of like this:

post-2672-1159313072_thumb.jpg

Does not mention architecture firm.

I'm guessing the "narrowing" of Phase II has something to do with the Immanuel

Nada. It just basically states that the project as a whole is enough to outweigh any other factors, it's better than what is there now, and that landscaping will be added similar to what will go in across the street at the new Spectrum complex. I would bet though that the wavy accents were added because of ground floor appearance concerns. It is an improvement (although somewhat outlandish) over the blank wall back in the beginning of this thread. I wonder if designcritic will like it? I've given up complaining though. I guess if you want things to change, you have to join the Planning Commission or the HPC.

Get used to the design tamias. Based on the detail I see in the packet, I'd say this is it.

Groundbreaking early November 2006, occupancy 2010.

I think they should build the base with no relief at all. You know, where it looks there were once windows and then they filled them with brick.

I think there's a big difference between tamias' plan of "evoking images of building blocks", which isn't that far from a modernist structure, and a hokey gimmicky building that looks like a guitar. Or we could change the Children's Hospital to the "suburban Wichita office building" model, like the rest of the Spectrum complex being built across the street. :whistling:

Could be worse:

http://www.longaberger.com/destinations/de...lID=-1610622051

Proposed Helen DeVos Children's Hospital design unveiled

GRAND RAPIDS -- They're calling it The Spire or the Iconic Element in the boardroom of Helen DeVos Children's Hospital.

Whatever they finally call the 300-foot stainless steel shaft, it is designed to set the new $200 million hospital wing apart.

The spire made its debut Thursday as hospital officials sought city Planning Commission approval for the project. Although renderings were shared with the commission, hospital officials said the new design still needs approval at their December board meeting.

The commission approved the hospital plans on an

8-0 vote. In a separate action, the commission also approved a $160 million expansion of the Van Andel Institute's headquarters, located across the street at 555 Bostwick Ave. NE.

The new design for the DeVos Children's Hospital began about nine months ago, after hospital officials decided the original plans did not have enough of a "wow factor," said Bill Rietscha, Spectrum Health's director of facilities.

For the complete story, return to MLive.com today or pick up a copy of The Grand Rapids Press.

Edited by civitas

Proposed Helen DeVos Children's Hospital design unveiled

GRAND RAPIDS -- They're calling it The Spire or the Iconic Element in the boardroom of Helen DeVos Children's Hospital.

Whatever they finally call the 300-foot stainless steel shaft, it is designed to set the new $200 million hospital wing apart.

The spire made its debut Thursday as hospital officials sought city Planning Commission approval for the project. Although renderings were shared with the commission, hospital officials said the new design still needs approval at their December board meeting.

The commission approved the hospital plans on an

8-0 vote. In a separate action, the commission also approved a $160 million expansion of the Van Andel Institute's headquarters, located across the street at 555 Bostwick Ave. NE.

The new design for the DeVos Children's Hospital began about nine months ago, after hospital officials decided the original plans did not have enough of a "wow factor," said Bill Rietscha, Spectrum Health's director of facilities.

For the complete story, return to MLive.com today or pick up a copy of The Grand Rapids Press.

You forgot the new rendering (I don't think we've seen it from this angle yet)

hospitalyt7.jpg

Last I heard, they had only committed $15-20mm of the total cost.

Not that there's anything wrong with $15-20 million... but most of the money is coming from smaller donors.

Devos children contribute a combined $50 Million to the Children's Hospital

I like the new design. Sold! You're right mp. It appears as though most of the podium is offices with just a small portion for parking.

Very nice. The cool thing is, that entire sculpture (as it look as if it's become more of a sculpture rather than a structural element) will definately be visible in the skyline, and definately will become an icon in Gran Rapids. Not many cities have scultures in the actual skyline. In fact, all I can think of is NYC with the statue.

Very nice. The cool thing is, that entire sculpture (as it look as if it's become more of a sculpture rather than a structural element) will definately be visible in the skyline, and definately will become an icon in Gran Rapids. Not many cities have scultures in the actual skyline. In fact, all I can think of is NYC with the statue.

St. Louis may argue that point. :D