Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

coupl thoughts...

I've already given my "Calatrava-esque" rant, look back in this thread a ways, its still stands.

There's no substance to the building other than the needle and threads, and even that is questionable. Calling it a "spire" is being generous.

The wave motif is played out in this town. Subtle references are fine, take the VAI and JW Marriott for example, but this project and Devos Place and especially the GR Press building out in Walker are ridiculous.

The wave motif is played out in this town. Subtle references are fine, take the VAI and JW Marriott for example, but this project and Devos Place and especially the GR Press building out in Walker are ridiculous.

Post Modern New Wave era is upon us? :P

(ps. I feel the same way)

i think that darker blu glass will be gorgeous as well as classy. it wont be scary, it will inspire. It will be the tallest building on the skyline when parent and children are coming to gr from the expressway they will see this calming blue structure overlooking the city. btw, the street "wall" looks great, i dont care about transparecny if its replaced by art.

coupl thoughts...

I've already given my "Calatrava-esque" rant, look back in this thread a ways, its still stands.

There's no substance to the building other than the needle and threads, and even that is questionable. Calling it a "spire" is being generous.

Think of it this way.....

The "wave" theme is getting old. It's no longer hip and chic.

But we all know fashions are cyclical. By the time this building is complete, it will usher in the next generation of hip, chic "wave" themed buildings.

So, in a wacky way, they're just thinking ahead to the next big thing (which also happened to be the last big thing).

Edited by localtalent

i think that darker blu glass will be gorgeous as well as classy. it wont be scary, it will inspire. It will be the tallest building on the skyline when parent and children are coming to gr from the expressway they will see this calming blue structure overlooking the city. btw, the street "wall" looks great, i dont care about transparecny if its replaced by art.

Are you talking about the hospital?.. cause.. uhm I think you walked into the wrong room :rofl:

I think that "The Spire" thing is pretty cool...but I hope that they have some kind of dramatic nighttime lighting effects to make it look really cool in the skyline...but I hope it isn't rainbow colors like one of those other renderings? And probably not red...the kids will be scared enough that the hospital is going to be black...and then see red bloody strings hanging off a metal stick...niiiice :lol:

Wow, what a huge improvement over the original design.

Glad to see that they removedthe upside down pyramid in the original design and opened up the street level. Hopefully the planning commission asked for that.

The building itself is not spectacular, but, as a hospital, I would hope they would spend the most time and money on the inside of the building and on healing the kids that will be going there.

I'm surprised more isn't being said about the tacky street level "effect." I'm not a fan of deconstructivism, and it just looks horrible to me. I understand the hill and the rapids motiff, but it just ends up looking like a mess, and its getting very annoying and blatant. I'm sure it will look quite a bit different when actually built like most projects do, but for me, the rendering is a hit and a miss. Way too busy, and nothing should be taking away from the tower.

Edited by Lmichigan

I've seen this rendering this morning in the GR Press. It looks like the street wall is more transparant or atleast less forboding than in previous designs. Acoording to the Press, the incline spire is suppose to be 300 feet tall. The total price tag of the hospital will be 200 million dollars. If spectrum wanted to get some attention with this new addition to the campus, they will get it. It will be a big change to the skyline reguardless of how anybody feels about this design.

The First thing I thought about this when I saw the rendering was death by impalement... :shok:

I believe adults tend to over analize things when a kid will just see what's there and take it. Maybe the wall will be sore to the pedestrian, maybe the dark colors will scare the kids away? :dontknow: I think the inside of this place will really make a kid at home, the outside.... :dontknow: