Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

They do have a say when towers and buildings are built near airports, even little airports.

What's the proposed spire height? FAA gets involved at 200', which is why cell towers often come in at 199'.

There's also a distance factor. I had a concern come up with the EGR water tower, which is some six miles from GRR. Turns out a) the city of EGR does not have to file b) the phone company does not have to file.

I like the design. It could really stand out as an iconic building in GR. At the same time, though, that pole reminds me of a big needle--is that the message we want to send kids as they enter the hospital? :blink:

It looks like there is alot of interaction between the Childrens Hospital, the RDV office development and the Cancer center. I don't believe that the architect is the same for all of these projects. Have the various projects been communicating with one another over design issues?

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but here is a break down of each level:

LEVEL D: VALET PARKING AND OFFICES

LEVEL C: EMERGENCY SERVICES AND PEDIATRIC DAY HOSPITAL

LEVEL A: SURGICAL SERVICES INCLUDING CARDIAC CATHETERIZATION LAB

LEVEL 1: LOBBY, OUTDOOR GARDEN, GIFT SHOP, LIBRARY AND RESTAURANT

LEVEL 2: MEZZANINE

LEVEL 3: NEONATAL CENTER INCLUDING 40 PRIVATE PATIENT ROOMS

LEVEL 4: MECHANICAL USE

LEVEL 5: FUTURE CLINICAL EXPANSION FOR GENERAL PEDIATRICS

LEVEL 6: GENERAL PEDIATRICS

LEVEL 7: GENERAL PEDIATRICS, NEPHROLOGY, AND CARDIOVASCULAR SERVICES

LEVEL 8: PEDIATRIC INTENSIVE CARE

LEVEL 9: GENERAL PEDIATRICS AND HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY/BONE MARROW

TRANSPLANT

LEVEL 10: FUTURE CLINICAL EXPANSION

LEVEL 11: FAMILY SPACE INCLUDING PLAYROOM AND CHAPEL

-- http://wzzm.com/news/local/grmetro_article...x?storyid=62491

Edited by Rizzo

There will be 75 to 100 parking spaces available outside the emergency room at the children's hospital; additional parking will be available across the street in an underground parking ramp.

So it sounds like the bunker that previous renderings showed is officially not parking. Or, very little parking anyway. At least the new rendering has street-level transparency. There still isn't anything in terms of street-level interaction like storefronts or anything, but I guess you don't expect that from a hospital anyway.

-nb

So it sounds like the bunker that previous renderings showed is officially not parking. Or, very little parking anyway. At least the new rendering has street-level transparency. There still isn't anything in terms of street-level interaction like storefronts or anything, but I guess you don't expect that from a hospital anyway.

-nb

plus that would be a crappy local for a store

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but here is a break down of each level:

LEVEL D: VALET PARKING AND OFFICES

LEVEL C: EMERGENCY SERVICES AND PEDIATRIC DAY HOSPITAL

LEVEL A: SURGICAL SERVICES INCLUDING CARDIAC CATHETERIZATION LAB

LEVEL 1: LOBBY, OUTDOOR GARDEN, GIFT SHOP, LIBRARY AND RESTAURANT

LEVEL 2: MEZZANINE

LEVEL 3: NEONATAL CENTER INCLUDING 40 PRIVATE PATIENT ROOMS

LEVEL 4: MECHANICAL USE

LEVEL 5: FUTURE CLINICAL EXPANSION FOR GENERAL PEDIATRICS

LEVEL 6: GENERAL PEDIATRICS

LEVEL 7: GENERAL PEDIATRICS, NEPHROLOGY, AND CARDIOVASCULAR SERVICES

LEVEL 8: PEDIATRIC INTENSIVE CARE

LEVEL 9: GENERAL PEDIATRICS AND HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY/BONE MARROW

TRANSPLANT

LEVEL 10: FUTURE CLINICAL EXPANSION

LEVEL 11: FAMILY SPACE INCLUDING PLAYROOM AND CHAPEL

-- http://wzzm.com/news/local/grmetro_article...x?storyid=62491

I would have figured that intensive care would be located closer to Emergancy Services vs. being 9 levels apart. Oh well the architects and clients of this project know a lot more about hospital layout than I do.

I would have figured that intensive care would be located closer to Emergancy Services vs. being 9 levels apart. Oh well the architects and clients of this project know a lot more about hospital layout than I do.

Intensive care is where you go after pulling through the ER. The ICU is also used post-op with major scheduled procedures unrelated to the ER. (The quadruple bypass comes to mind...there's a reason I know this.)

Intensive care is where you go after pulling through the ER. The ICU is also used post-op with major scheduled procedures unrelated to the ER. (The quadruple bypass comes to mind...there's a reason I know this.)

Coming directly from someone who works in the Butterworth ED. . .

Here, the majority of the PICU patients are transfers from referral facilities (Gerber, Holland, K'zoo, Muskegon, etc). So they're arriving via the roof, not the ED.

ED proximity to PICU isn't a big deal. Trauma patients will go straight to the OR, then PICU. That takes care of the majority of PICU admits via ED. Since the new hospital will have its own ED, it will be a straight shot up the elevator to the unit. Staff elevators have a priority service feature that allows the elevator to travel directly to the destination floor, skipping all other stops. This is what we use to get adult patients up to the ICUs on the 4th and 5th floors of Meijer Heart (currently, no priority service in the children's hospital).

What IS poor design is the current model, with ED, OR, and PICU all in 3 separate buildings/towers of the hospital.