Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I like the semi-transparent glass on the tower, if that’s what it is.

It looks to be that the curtain wall is about 50% tinted. The little "Matrix" squares and rectangles all over the glazing I'm seeing in the above renderings is new to me though. I have now idea how the builders will pull that off.

Edited by tamias6

These showed up in my inbox the other day...

260849570_9c8d992a0d_o.jpg

the extremely forced perspective is lame, in my opinion

You mean the building across the street won't shoot out of the ground at a 45 degree angle??

I didn't realize how massive and close to the street the HDCH will be. That's going to create quite the alley down through there. And did I mention that the HDCH tower is going to be almost as tall as the Marrriott is now, except quite a bit wider. :blink:

In looking at that larger rendering, is there any sidewalk left along Michigan?

Looks to me like the sidewalk is six inches wide. There's more space for the sedum growing in the parkway than the pedestrians...

But the best part is that they narrowed Michigan from six lanes to four! So much for the Mayor's bus lane and MDOT's planned widening of Michigan Street. Shows how much of a fantasy land these folks are living in...or how much this rendering intends to deceive.

And who are those shadow people lurking about the sidewalk...?

Edited by Siler

I can't decide if I like the look of this or not. The black is a little....ominous to me, and the waves are a bit corny. But I do like the tranparency, and I just can't decide about the needle.

And why can't the people who create these renderings just show me what the finished product will look like? From 45% angles (this thing) to white ghost buildings (GRAM), I have about had it. Just show me a picture of what the place will look like, sans the artsy crap. end rant.

I can't decide if I like the look of this or not. The black is a little....ominous to me, and the waves are a bit corny. But I do like the tranparency, and I just can't decide about the needle.

And why can't the people who create these renderings just show me what the finished product will look like? From 45% angles (this thing) to white ghost buildings (GRAM), I have about had it. Just show me a picture of what the place will look like, sans the artsy crap. end rant.

I'm in agreement. If I'm a potential client, I would want to see what my actual building is going to look like instead extremly stylized renderings esp. when the time to get construction underway is drawing near. As I said in another thread here. There's alot of cases where artists take a few liberies to make somthing look better than it actually is. I hope that is not the case here.

This is just a case of not having the correct perspective... not really so much as a style. More like "I'm in a rush to produce something, so I'm going to place my track point at the building and move my camera off somewhere a person would view this building in real-life. Sorry I applied that lens length -- it isn't calibrated, so what?"

Edited by Rizzo

It looks to be that the curtain wall is about 50% tinted. The little "Matrix" squares and rectangles all over the glazing I'm seeing in the above renderings is new to me though. I have now idea how the builders will pull that off.

I'm guessing that your "matrix squares" are probably DNA prints...

dna11.jpg

...and they'll probably be printed or ceramic fritted onto the glass.

oh, they can also do it "matrix" style too...

dna7.jpg

For those interested I caught an article in the State News today about the move of MSU's medical school to GR. You can read the article here - http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=38027

Steve Heacock, a chief administrative officer for Van Andel Research Institute who has spent a lot of time on this project, said a press conference is planned for next week to elaborate further on the plans.

"The conference is going to discuss many things and also mention an agreement between another partnership," Heacock said.

As of right now, the school is hiring more staff to get ready for a new graduating class, and plans to take a visit to Grand Rapids, along with university officials, to decide on a building site.